Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is the job market like at present?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
harmonica

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:40 am    Post subject: What is the job market like at present? Reply with quote

I have decided to pack up & head to Taipei. I would like to go ASAP, but I have read that winter is not a good time to look for work. I have a temp job that ends in June or July. Should I wait until summer? I have a BA & a yr of teaching experience in Korea. I would like to avoid teaching kindies & would like to find a job within 2 mos. Any advice?
Rooster_2006

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: What is the job market like at present? Reply with quote

harmonica wrote:
I have decided to pack up & head to Taipei. I would like to go ASAP, but I have read that winter is not a good time to look for work. I have a temp job that ends in June or July. Should I wait until summer? I have a BA & a yr of teaching experience in Korea. I would like to avoid teaching kindies & would like to find a job within 2 mos. Any advice?
The biggest hiring period is right after Chinese New Year. Which just happened. So NOW is the time to be looking for jobs. December and early January suck, yes, but by February, we're talking about prime post-CNY hiring season.

The summer is not a good time to come. You can find a job in the summer, but it will be harder to find one.
harmonica

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rooster. From what I had read I was under the impression that the peak hiring season was at summer's end. I'm trying to tie up loose ends & hope to be there toward the end of Feb. Hopefully that won't be too late.
JZer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

August is probably the best time to find a job in Taiwan. Unless you have a Master's degree in TESOL you will likely be teaching children. If you want to teach adults, go to China.
dangerousapple

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually agree with Jzer on this one. August/September has the most job openings. February is ok, but not nearly as good.
harmonica

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks JZer & dangerousapple. I guess I better make a decision soon.
JZer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one downside to Taiwan is that many people have to work three part time jobs to get enough hours.

Teaching in China can be a lot easier.
harmonica

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ruled out China because of its Internet censorship policies. I recently launched my first website and I am thinking about creating two more. I think they may hard to manage from China.
nebrie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would prefer to arrive in early December rather than August but the upside is that I'll have free rent and utilities in the middle of Taipei. Would it still be tough to find one good full time job in a month or two?
Taiwanease Guy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nebrie wrote:
I would prefer to arrive in early December rather than August but the upside is that I'll have free rent and utilities in the middle of Taipei. Would it still be tough to find one good full time job in a month or two?

More and more what I see are teachers working at two or three jobs to make ends meet. If you get one good full-time job, count yourself lucky!
phdinfunk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe there are two Taiwans. I hear about this, but none of my pretty large group of foreigner friends who have all been around for 4+ years are in this boat.

I'm thinking that a lot of newcomers get the shaft. Seldom does it seem, do most foreigners know what they actually CAN do here. New guys especially, only ever know what's on forums and I think it's reasonable to say forums are often highly HIGHLY skewed... it's a pretty severe sampling bias of people who post here.

I sometimes long on after one of my beautiful bike rides during my Tuesday off (I work four days a week for 60K in the countryside) and try to balance the view a bit.

Mostly, I'd say go outside Taipei. Taipei ren seem pretty jaded about foreigners by now anyways, and the real Taiwanese, the folks who will bend over backwards to help a stranger, don't seem as easy to find there. Me and my girlfriend call Taipei JiCheGueiGuo (Motorcycle Ghost Country) which means it's a separate country and the people there are frigging uptight!

But just remember, most of the very happy foreigners I know living here for many years NEVER post on ANY of the forums like this or forumosa.... EVER.... so, you're dealing with a huge sampling bias.

Anyways, carry on everyone. I'll come back again in six months or a year, probably.
piglet44

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi I am a Brit,highly experienced teacher,white but in my 50s.teaching in CHina now but looking at Taiwan for next year.However I DON"T wanna teach kids.and I gather getting a uni gig in Taiwan is pretty near impossible.I have an MA and a TEFL cert and 30 years experience. ALL the jobs online are via recruiters (yuk)
any advice gang?
JZer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

piglet44 wrote:
Hi I am a Brit,highly experienced teacher,white but in my 50s.teaching in CHina now but looking at Taiwan for next year.However I DON"T wanna teach kids.and I gather getting a uni gig in Taiwan is pretty near impossible.I have an MA and a TEFL cert and 30 years experience. ALL the jobs online are via recruiters (yuk)
any advice gang?

You are going to have to go to Taiwan to find a job. It may be possible to find a job online, but it is not advisable.
piglet44

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks I will do that. Is Juky a good time to get hired?
JZer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

piglet44 wrote:
Ok thanks I will do that. Is Juky a good time to get hired?

If you are looking for a job teaching adults, I don't think the time of year matters that much. The best time for finding a job teaching children is July/August.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: