Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best Place For Short Term Contracts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nitz40

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:01 pm    Post subject: Best Place For Short Term Contracts Reply with quote

Hi Dave's ESL Community -

I'm wondering, what's the best place to go for short term contracts? I'm fresh from teaching in China, TEFL certified, and looking to go somewhere else for maybe 5-6 months. Maybe in Europe?

Money isn't an issue for me, I'd be going more for the experience this time. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions or advice.

I realize I may not be the first person to have posted asking this, so I thank you greatly for your time and input.

Cheers.
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you have a passport from an EU member country, Europe is an option. However, not many employers will be interested in someone for less than an academic year. It takes time to get people set up in housing, acclimated locally and to the students, and 5-6 months is just enough to get started.

Also, keep in mind that the European job market is very different to that in Asia. Your experience there won't give you a big head start over newbies, and both employers and students will have at least somewhat different expectations.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=95456&start=0
golsa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Also, keep in mind that the European job market is very different to that in Asia. Your experience there won't give you a big head start over newbies, and both employers and students will have at least somewhat different expectations.

As someone who has worked in both markets, I'd like to say that spiral78 is dead on the money.

To the OP, Asian students expect lessons to be funny and have fewer other expectations while European students really expect you to know your stuff. The closest thing an Asian student has come to asking me about grammar involved whether or not one should conjugate auxiliary verbs when they follow modal verbs. In my experience, European students will approach and grill you over why you said something was wrong and you'd better be able to back your answer up.
Lack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Georgia in Eastern Europe has a government program for English teaching that allows for short contracts. They scaled it way down at the end of 2012, but it's still operating. That's really the only one I specifically know about. I know there are English camps around, but don't really know about them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: