Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Will Institute hours kill your social life?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zimmerman

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Will Institute hours kill your social life? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I Just have a few of questions if anyone out there won't mind answering.

Are the hours in institutes so horrible that they make having any kind of social life very difficult? Can anyone maybe give me break down of a typical day at an institute, hour wise?

I would rather try to get a job in a college for better hours but my Spanish is poor and I hear they all interview in Spanish. Is this true?
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is quite doable if you are fresh out of college or in your 20's. You have different priorities and are making your way up the ladder..

The hours are mostly split shift at institutes and that means your day will be long. Hours vary, but you could be doing 7-9am, some hours in the afternoon, and then 6-9pm or something like that. Other schools have shifts from 1-9pm - your schedule will probably change a fair bit.

PS No, I had a colegio interview and it was all in English (actually had 2-3 interviews all in English as I met different people).
leretif9

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these long days of split shifts that you are describing endemic to ESL teaching in Medellin, and Bogota, and elsewhere?
Zimmerman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

currentaffairs wrote:
I think it is quite doable if you are fresh out of college or in your 20's. You have different priorities and are making your way up the ladder..

I suppose I could handle it if I had no other choice, but do all types of colleges require experience? Even the lesser ones? Must the ladder start at an institute? I read another post where someone said you need contacts to get a job at a college, but I don't know if he or she meant a good college or any college.

I read another post where someone said to start at an institute and then switch to a college, but that sounds like a major pain considering one would have to change the visa.

thanks for your info and response. It's much appreciated.
roadwalker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zimmerman wrote:
currentaffairs wrote:

I suppose I could handle it if I had no other choice, but do all types of colleges require experience? Even the lesser ones? Must the ladder start at an institute? I read another post where someone said you need contacts to get a job at a college, but I don't know if he or she meant a good college or any college.

I read another post where someone said to start at an institute and then switch to a college, but that sounds like a major pain considering one would have to change the visa.

thanks for your info and response. It's much appreciated.

Colegios = high schools in American English. It's more clear to ask about universities/universidades if you want to work at a 'college'. (Just lurking and chiming in; I don't know anything about the Colombian ESL situation.)
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All these type of questions will very much depend on your quals, experience and where you are. It varies person to person and place to place.

If you are in Cali or Bogota then the better jobs will be harder to get as there will be a pool of people after them.

If you go to a small town then your chances of getting employed at the local colegio/high school will be much higher. In the small towns I am sure that there are teachers who have been employed who only have a degree in Tourism or something!
G22

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the institutes will have you do lessons early in the mornings at businesses and some have you running around all over the city. If you want a better job, you may have to work at an institute until you come across a job at a colegio or a university. I started off at an institute and finally got a colegio job by searching constantly, asking around and applying for jobs left and right. As far as social life goes, you should be still able to have time to go out. It entirely depends on your ability to get up after a night out. Some can do it, others cannot.
Zimmerman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G22 wrote:
Most of the institutes will have you do lessons early in the mornings at businesses and some have you running around all over the city. If you want a better job, you may have to work at an institute until you come across a job at a colegio or a university. I started off at an institute and finally got a colegio job by searching constantly, asking around and applying for jobs left and right.

How long did it take? Did you have to switch your visa? If you don't mind me asking.
G22

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zimmerman wrote:
G22 wrote:
Most of the institutes will have you do lessons early in the mornings at businesses and some have you running around all over the city. If you want a better job, you may have to work at an institute until you come across a job at a colegio or a university. I started off at an institute and finally got a colegio job by searching constantly, asking around and applying for jobs left and right.

How long did it take? Did you have to switch your visa? If you don't mind me asking.

About a year. Pretty much all colegios sponsor a work visa, so the current one I have is through them. One might be able to get better work sooner, that is just what it took for me to land a colegio job.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: