Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do I need a visa?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnslat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Do I need a visa? Reply with quote

Ever wonder if you need a visa to visit some other country?

Well, wonder no more:

'To curb the pain of the "do I need a visa?!" research headache, udit99 made a no-frills website called VisaMapper. Visitors select their nationality from a drop-down menu and instantly see, on a color-coded world map, which countries require a visa for them to visit and which don't.

Tell VisaMapper you're of Swedish citizenship, for example, and watch loads of nations on the map turn to happy shades of green. This color means you won't need a visa to visit them.

Say you're from Afghanistan, though, and everything -- with the exception of Haiti and a few small islands -- goes instantly maroon to tell you that "a visa is required prior to arrival."

A few countries are missing from the site, and you should double-check its data with the State Department before traveling, but the map is nevertheless addicting... and educational. Play around with it to see what travel is like as a citizen of different countries."

http://www.visamapper.com/

Regards,
John
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Johnslat

Excellent!

However, as soon as the world joins the Communist paradise, then all these bourgeois First World War visa restrictions will simply wither away...

Best wishes

Sasha
fat_chris

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh! That is a good resource. I like it that it breaks it down into "visa available on arrival" and "visa required prior to arrival"--there are visas…and then there are visas. It's good to know which countries offer/require which.

I pretended I was a citizen of North Korea…nearly the whole world is maroon!

Warm regards,
fat_chris

Last edited by fat_chris on Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:20 am; edited 1 time in total
fat_chris

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Do I need a visa? Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
Say you're from Afghanistan, though, and everything -- with the exception of Haiti and a few small islands -- goes instantly maroon to tell you that "a visa is required prior to arrival."

Oh! Iraqis have it tough as well.

Kiwis can go nearly everywhere in the Western Hemisphere visa-free!

Warm regards,
fat_chris
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Visamapper.com Reply with quote

Hello,
I tried to access the visamapper.com website which took me to Godaddy.com for prospective purchase of related domains. Perhaps this is now defunct? This would have been a very valuable resource. Thx.
johnslat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear peripatetic_soul,

That's odd - because the link above is still working for me.

Regards,
John
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no information for citizens of San Marino !
johnslat

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear scot47,

I apologize to the 31,000 odd citizens of San Marino who have been omitted. However, such non-inclusions were mentioned in the OP.

"A few countries are missing from the site . . . "

Regards,
John
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Johnslat

As much as I like this visa mapper, I think it is lacking some vital functionality for the travelling TELFer. Namely, info on work permits and related visas. And, crucially for certain of us on the boards, I think that an added field where inquirers can input their level of pluck and determination, as well as their nationality, would further enhance this resource. Perhaps you can see to that for me, please? And post it on the EU member states boards, thank you. Spare poor Spiral all the usual schengnanigans... Smile

Best wishes

Sasha
BenE

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a quick play around with it. I noticed there's some inaccurate information. E.g. it says Belarusians can go to Egypt without a visa while I know from experience that isn't the case.
JoeKing

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Do I need a visa? Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:

A few countries are missing from the site, and you should double-check its data with the State Department before traveling, but the map is nevertheless addicting... and educational. Play around with it to see what travel is like as a citizen of different countries."

http://www.visamapper.com/

Regards,
John
Excellent contribution, John_ Thanks! I guess Hong Kong is too small to show no visas needed prior to arrival for UK and US citizens!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: