Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best places to go for Single Parent
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mothlight

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:24 am    Post subject: Best places to go for Single Parent Reply with quote

I am wanting to go work abroad, but I have a 5 year old.
So I am wondering if others have experience or advice about which countries would be best to investigate.
I have a Master of Education (TESOL) and several years teaching experience.
I am obviously concerned about education for my child, so either somewhere where a private school would be affordable taking into account the salary, or somewhere where I would be able to enrol my child in a public school (and learn the language).
FWIW I have both a British and an Australian passport.

Thanks Very Happy
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibly the UAE, depending on your child custody situation. Check out this thread on the UAE forum from a single mom: http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=101870
Professional TEFLer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: Best places to go for Single Parent Reply with quote

mothlight wrote:
So I am wondering if others have experience or advice about which countries would be best to investigate.
I have a Master of Education (TESOL) and several years teaching experience.
I am obviously concerned about education for my child, so either somewhere where a private school would be affordable taking into account the salary, or somewhere where I would be able to enrol my child in a public school (and learn the language).
FWIW I have both a British and an Australian passport.

Thanks Very Happy

HCMC Vietnam! Cool
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in Korea with a 20 month old. Child custody is an issue for me, if it weren't I'd be in the Middle East. I don't know how much I can talk about Korea here specifically, but I will just say that there are lots of options available, no matter where you are.
1. International schools2
2. Public schools
3. Relgious schools
4. Homeschooling
5. Tutors
6. Combination
7. Getting job at a relgious, intl, bilingual school or uni with an attached school.
8. Foreign language intl schools. The chinese one near me is 300 a month, less than I currently pay for daycare.
it'snotmyfault

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Best places to go for Single Parent Reply with quote

mothlight wrote:

You should stay in your home country and put your child's interests first and not yours.
A child isn't a kitten or a puppy or an IPhone
sicklyman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Best places to go for Single Parent Reply with quote

it'snotmyfault wrote:
mothlight wrote:

You should stay in your home country and put your child's interests first and not yours.

the kid's FIVE you dork...

mothlight... my parents took me overseas when I was 5. Best thing they ever, ever did for me. I've never looked back. And that was in the 70s in the Middle East when there were hardly any education opportunities. Didn't do me or my sister any harm at that age.

You don't mention if you are male or female. If you are male, you could try to get recruited for Aramco in Saudi via Australia. I've heard that if you interview for Aramco in Australia, you will more than likely get a direct hire position. If so, you are set and your child will have an extremely good education. Unfortunately, if you are female, this is probably a no go.
coledavis

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, at age 5, you are not disrupting an educational process. I guess the problem is more when schooling is altered when the break causes more problems in terms of curriculum and friendships.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MOD EDIT

To the OP, you could always go home if it doesn't work. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
santi84

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Best places to go for Single Parent Reply with quote

it'snotmyfault wrote:
mothlight wrote:

Excuse me?

My child is growing up trilingual English-French-Spanish and goes to a normal preschool like any other kid his age. Do you think we stuff them in our backpacks when we globetrot?
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Best places to go for Single Parent Reply with quote

MOD EDIT

I can see where both of you are coming from, santi84, you're in Canada though, right?

Raising kids is hard period. It can be harder if you move countries and go somewhere where you don't speak the language and sign yearly contracts. This is what I'm up against now.

I never considered moving back to the US, but now that I have a kid, well, never say never. That being said, taking a kid abroad could be a wonder experience or it could totally backfire. I've seen both happen.

You have to weigh the pros and cons. I'm sure you'll make the right decision.

As for the backpack, well, I disagree Wink I'm actually wearing mine right now in a hipseat, which kind of resembles a backpack Smile
santi84

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am! But I am still a foreigner who does not speak the local language and I'm 5000km away from 'home'. Nobody speaks English here, except me, the English teacher Laughing
Concepcion780

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this here, but I'd suggest looking into international schools in your situation and with youreducation and classroom teaching experience.
mothlight

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have many of you encountered opposition when applying/interviewing for jobs?
Do you think many places discriminate against single parents?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mothlight wrote:
Have many of you encountered opposition when applying/interviewing for jobs?
Do you think many places discriminate against single parents?

What has been your own experience?
mothlight

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am now working in China and my daughter is here with me and attending school here. She is loving it (I think part of that comes from being the only foreign kid, from what I can tell, in the city).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: