Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mentoring, Malaysia, Taxes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Malaysia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unreasonable

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:12 am    Post subject: Mentoring, Malaysia, Taxes Reply with quote

The 'original' mentoring gig in Malaysia was nearly 3 years (Jan 2011 to Sept 2013).

My wife and I were supervisors for 1 of the big 3 for 18 months at the beginning. We left for all of the unpleasant reasons you can find elsewhere over a year ago.

I see that 'round 2' is opening up with the same pay and situations but with quite different minimum qualifications required.

I thought I'd comment on the one thing that doesn't seem to be anywhere on the boards ... the weird tax rules in Malaysia.

When you start you are taxed at 26%. After 182 days of residency that drops to a retro-active sliding scale of 0 to 26% for the year (my wife and I paid 18% for the duration) - your income and allowances determine what tax you pay. The problem this creates is what happens if you start after June ... you don't get 182 days in that calendar year and thus your rate never drops ... you pay the full 26% and never get it back.

What is also no-where to be found, is the exact same thing is done when you leave. Your residency is re-calculated and vacations out of country and even day trips to Singapore are held against you. If you fall below 182 days - your rate is hiked back up to 26% and you must pay the difference to get your exit visa.

Our friend got burned quite badly by this when she left in June 2012 - it was her vacations that got her.

My wife had to re-schedule her resignation to avoid it while I left earlier without the exit visa. I was owed taxes but not as much as it would cost to change dates and flights and such (employers can be quite vindictive when they wish).

So the long and the short of it : start before June, leave after June and count your residency carefully
Eijse74

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Eijse74 on Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
christmas

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finishing my 7 month post here in Malaysia working for one of the companies involved in the mentor ship. For those reading this to determine whether or not to take a position and move to Malaysia, I have one word of advice. If your name isn't Mr. or Miss Resilient then think again. It isn't the workload that gets you here. The turn over is high for a reason.
Eijse74

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by Eijse74 on Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
U99A

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lasted just 4 months- could not take the isolation of my small boring town in Johor!!
Hod

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't blame you for moving on. I understand if you don't want to say where you were, but just out of curiosity, what was the nearest big town?

Malaysia's got some great places, but none of them will be in the back of beyond.
Jagariko

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eijse74 wrote:
A couple of service providers are fishing for recruits because they expect that the project in question will continue, but in actuality there is no official word yet from the government either way.

There have been rolling adverts in the UK paper the Guardian for several months now. So I guess there will be some unhappy applicants if the plug is pulled.

There seems to be 2-3 companies plus the British Council. The salary offered seems to vary between the companies as well with some offering up to 28K and others 33K sterling.
Kipling

Location: ...Ah Mrs K peel me a grape!!!....and have one yourself!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:39 am    Post subject: Mentoring and family Reply with quote

On a mentoring contracts can you bring your family? Could your child go into a local school near where you are based or based in a city if you are in the wilds. Could your wife work ? Anyone have experience of this.

Thank you in advance

Kipling Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
2m01z

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Mentoring and family Reply with quote

Kipling wrote:
On a mentoring contracts can you bring your family? Could your child go into a local school near where you are based or based in a city if you are in the wilds. Could your wife work ? Anyone have experience of this.

Thank you in advance

Kipling Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Opportunities for partners to find work are extremely
limited. There are International Schools for qualified
teachers but it’s best to be recruite
d from the UK. Some foreigners make a living giving private lessons for
around £10 – 12 an hour although this is not legal without a work permit.
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kipling, your child could go to a local school if your child speaks a high level of Chinese (Mandarin), Indian (Hindi) or Bahasa (Malay).

The rattan is often used as to "spare the rod is to spoil the child" so be prepared for your child to be beaten by the teacher.

Otherwise, your child will have to attend an International School, which is rather costly, have often waiting lists and are only found in the cities.

Your partner's chance of finding work without a work permit are negligent, unless your partner is willing to work illegally, which is risky business.
pooroldedgar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They won't beat your child.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Malaysia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: