Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LGBT in the Middle East

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lexicon21

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: LGBT in the Middle East Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

I was wondering what everyone's opinion was in regards to LGBT issues in the middle east. In your opinion, which country would be the best for an LGBT individual?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: LGBT in the Middle East Reply with quote

lexicon21 wrote:
In your opinion, which country would be the best for an LGBT individual?

Which Middle Eastern country? None, if you expect to experience the same level of tolerance and civil/human rights protections you receive in your home country. Obviously, it depends on how you plan to live your life in this conservative region. But instead of asking for input on the topic, you're best to thoroughly research the penalties you could face for living an alternative lifestyle in Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Iraq, the UAE, etc., because frankly, our opinions really won't matter.
jaffa

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saudi. They're all at it. Men, that is. Can't speak for the chicks but I guess they're in the same boat, so to speak.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's totally don't ask, don't tell... in spades. It is 100% illegal, and while as common as everywhere, or even more because of the strict segregation of the sexes, one must be discreet... very very discreet.

Hopefully one of the current members of the LGBT community who has experience in the Gulf can send you a more specific PM once you reach your 5 posts and can use that system. I note that you are studying Mandarin... so China (and that end of Asia) may be your best bet.

VS
lexicon21

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While China and Asia would be my best bet, I was hoping that their would be some sort of oasis on the issues in the middle east. At least, as far as the entire law/society gap is concerned. Just because it is law doesn't mean it is enforced or reflects the beliefs of the population as a whole, and vise versa.

I fell in love with M.S Arabic and was hoping to sharpen my skills in it at some point. Looks like I may have to give up that dream.
lexicon21

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa wrote:
Saudi. They're all at it. Men, that is. Can't speak for the chicks but I guess they're in the same boat, so to speak.

I heard about that. I think it was mentioned regularly in the book "Santa in Saudi Arabia" or some title such as that?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lexicon21 wrote:
Just because it is law doesn't mean it is enforced or reflects the beliefs of the population as a whole, and vise versa.

Don't count on it; in this part of the globe, culture and laws are tied to one of the largest and possibly the most conservative religion in the world. Even in the fairly tolerant/open Emirates, hetero expats have been fined, jailed, and/or kicked out of the country for something as benign as kissing in public. Really, your experience will depend on what kind of lifestyle you expect to live, and no one knows what that is except you.

A couple of suggestions: Give Morocco a look. It's not as uptight as the Gulf, and you could still study MSA. Also, check out the site, http://www.out-adventures.com/ for gay-friendly countries.
psychedelicacy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The utterly worthless opinion of a straight guy is coming up....

YEEEE HAAAW

Unless one is incredibly stupid (public displays of affection), one is highly unlikely to be caught. However, if you and a member of the same sex enter an apartment, it would be wise to keep any sex noises to as low a volume as possible. I still don't think anything could come of that, but you never know. In sum, unless someone walks in while you're doing it, it is very difficult to see how you could get into trouble over it. People in Saudi Arabia, notwithstanding the obvious differences in culture, are pretty much the same as people anywhere - they mind their own business and just get on with their daily activities, oblivious to the activities of strangers - unless, of course, they've been given clear reason to suspect that someone is doing something grotesquely un-Islamic and deserves to be soundly lashed.

And yep, illicit homosexuality in the KSA is rampant. Indeed, illicit heterosexual relations are far likelier to get you into serious bother.
psychedelicacy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: LGBT in the Middle East Reply with quote

lexicon21 wrote:
In your opinion, which country would be the best for an LGBT individual?

Take your pick from any except Saudi and Kuwait.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who are discreet it is not a problem in KSA. Just do not expect any "Gay Pride" marches !
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear lexicon21,

Rule No. 1 - if you are an LGBT individual, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER get involved with a "local."

That probably sounds like as "no-brainer," but a colleague of mine almost ended up in jail because he was sure "his local" was "different."

Rule No. 2 - discretion is imperative. If even the slightest hint leaks and you have those who are not fond of you, they will use it to try to (figuratively, maybe even literally) screw you.

Rule No. 3 - NEVER forget Rules Number 1 and 2.

Regards,
John
crewmeal1

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience most Middle East men equate being gay with being effeminate, so if you go round like Julian Clearly or Lily Savage then you are asking for trouble.

[quote]Take your pick from any except Saudi and Kuwait.[/quote]

These are the worst countries for homophobia and yet they are 'at it' all the time. Yes be discreet and don't expect long standing affairs. Many men will go home to their wives 'at the end of the day' Watch out for rent boys in poorer countries like Egypt, Yemen and Tunisia.

Certainly do not bring any gay politics into conversations or else you are asking for trouble.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crewmeal1 wrote:
In my experience most Middle East men equate being gay with being effeminate, so if you go round like Julian Clearly or Lily Savage then you are asking for trouble.

These are the worst countries for homophobia and yet they are 'at it' all the time. Yes be discreet and don't expect long standing affairs. Many men will go home to their wives 'at the end of the day' Watch out for rent boys in poorer countries like Egypt, Yemen and Tunisia.

You're assuming the OP is male...

We don't know anything about the OP's particular lifestyle nor is it important for him/her to divulge personal info in this forum. But I doubt he/she was seeking advice on picking up prostitutes.
Cool Teacher

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crewmeal1 wrote:

Holey Moley! Shocked You have one funny idea of feminin! Laughing

Anyway, although I am not LGBT and have never been to the Middel East except changing planes in Doha, in my opinonion Israel is probably the safest place. Smile

YHWH & YMMV! Cool
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: