Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching/working out in Nippori
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
paddyflynn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:17 am    Post subject: Teaching/working out in Nippori Reply with quote

Hi,

I just got to Japan on a student visa that allows me to work 28 hours a week, and would like to find a job teaching. I have a graduate degree an some ESL teaching experience. My school is in the Nippori section of Tokyo. Does anyone know of any nearby language schools I could apply to?

Also, if anyone is familiar with the neighborhood and could recomend a gym, I would appreciate that as well. Thanks.
mitsui

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don`t know but since you are by the Yamanote line you are close to Ueno and Ikebukuro.
Really convenient location.
RM1983

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live near Nippori and think you have a couple of chain eikawas about. Have a look at a few stations nearby too eg there is a NOVA at Komagome. If youre just looking to do part time, flexible work though maybe you should donsome googling and look for a small school as they will often prefer part time teachers.

Also, hang about in some of the gaijin pubs nearby you. I did until I quit drinking and met a few guys who own their own school and use part time workers
kathrynoh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to live in the area. There are a few boxing gyms around Nishi Nippori if you are into that. The one I went to was boxing only - you booked a time and did a circuit they'd set up, no free weights or other equipment. There was another boxing gym, I never went to, but they used to have a sign up saying the owner was interested in training gaijin for a reduced price in exchange for English lessons.

Other than that, the only place I knew of was a big gym near Tabata station. It's one of the big big chains and had only finished being build when I moved there in 2010 so it's pretty new and looked like it was well equipped (swimming pool, yoga studios etc). I think they only offer 12 month memberships though which is why I never joined.

Because it's mainly an older, working class area, there aren't a lot of language schools. ECC have a branch there but I don't know if they take on part timers. Other than that, like people have said, it's mainly smaller schools.
kathrynoh

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention, there is also a gym run by the ward office. I've never been there either but it's a good option if you are on a budget.
mitsui

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There must be a Gold`s Gym nearby.
Maybe it is in Akihabara, or near there.
Solar Strength

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't that a kind of boring area in Tokyo?

I mean, moving clockwise on the Yamanote Line, between Ikebukuro and, say, Ueno Station, there's nothing up there except mainly residential districts. Entertainment is mainly Japanese salaryman type snaku bars with the odd Yoshinoya, MacDonald's and Matsuya.

Someone above mentioned ex-pat bars in that area - which ones? I'm not aware of any in or around Nippori.

No idea of gyms, but aren't there kuyakusho training facilities in many places? You might have to ride a bicycle or jump on a bus to get there. Check the local ward office. Definitely the cheapest option.

Gold's Gym? That sounds pretty expensive for someone who doesn't have a job! Also, won't they require a 3 year contract or, at least, a 1 year contract, which means that s/he would have to pay up to or over ¥120,000 for the year? Maybe they have 3 or 6 month contracts?
RM1983

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I meant the ones in Ikebukuro and Ueno to be honest. Both close enough
hagiwaramai

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's this Irish pub just outside the station http://www.oconnell-pub.jp/en/ and this English school I applied to once.. http://www.levelup-english.com/access.html

It's actually a really nice area if you want to live a normal life in a foreign country. It might not have clubs or whatever but that area has a lot of tradition and history and I can imagine tons of good nights going out to a bar and chatting to the (real) locals.
mitsui

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

South of the station there are many temples.
It is not a bad area at all, as is Shitamachi, the older part of Tokyo.
I forgot the name of the neighborhood south of Nippori.
RM1983

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah if you head up past the smoking area at the top of the steps and take a left you can have a nice walk through the cemetery all the way through to ueno park.

There is a small but nice street just by the cemetery too - think it's called Yanaka Ginza. Lots of little places to eat and a few proper restaurants Im eager to go to
mitsui

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a decent Iranian restaurant there called Zakuro.
A good place to go to if you are hungry. Prices are pretty good.
RM1983

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mitsui wrote:
There is a decent Iranian restaurant there called Zakuro.
A good place to go to if you are hungry. Prices are pretty good.

Yeah that was the specific one Im keen to go to. Looked fantastic!
TokyoLiz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:50 am    Post subject: Yanesen is cool Reply with quote

I've spent a lot of time around Nezu, Sendagi, Nippori, and Kita-Senju Stations because I have a few friends there.

Yanesen has a great arts, culture and historical community. There is so much to see there. And people are pretty friendly.

Yanaka Cemetery is great for hanami. You gotta walk through there after the last train when there is fog. Spooky.

Ueno is close. You've got a huge market right there, and some great little drinking holes and international food.

Solar Strength probably hasn't been on the ground there, and only seen the "ekimae", station fronts of the area. It's actually pretty hip in east Tokyo.
kathrynoh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd probably be considered a boring area if you are the type of person who spends their weekends out clubbing in Roppongi but I loved living there, for the reasons mentioned above. Lots of very cool little cafes and bars around the Nezu, Sendagi area too. It's the kind of place you can wander around and always find something new.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: