Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Question for Japan experts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MedellinHeel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject: Question for Japan experts Reply with quote

I will be getting my actual state teaching license this spring and unfortunately most of all the International School hiring will be coming to a close for Fall 14.

So I am preparing for the event in which I fail to secure a job teaching my content area in a International School, thus forcing me to go teach ESL again for 6-12months.

Seoul is an option but Id rather do Tokyo. With holding a teaching license and having some experience what would be my chances of finding a job in Tokyo?

If good chance, what would be the best course of action in getting said job?

Thanks for the advice in advance.
Pitarou

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Question for Japan experts Reply with quote

If your experience is in Japan then, in combination with your teaching license, I'd say your chances are very good. The obvious place to go is the ALT recruitment agencies. But you need to convince them that you intend to complete your 1 year contract, and that you know to hold your tongue when the Japanese Teacher of English orders you to do something stupid and counterproductive.
MedellinHeel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Experience is only in Korea sadly. Guess I will give the ALT a shot regardless. Guess I better prepare myself to end up in Korea or China. Sigh...
Pitarou

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MedellinHeel wrote:
Experience is only in Korea sadly.

Still worth a try.
mitsui

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I hear, just a license is not enough. Teaching experience with the license is what counts. At least two years if not more.
timothypfox

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should what the experience requirement is for International Schools in Tokyo. I think they all require about 3 years of classroom experience in public schools in your home country. (Check it - because you might come across an exception - but it's been my experience that they require experience...) But, your license would put you in good stead for looking to teach at a private high school or junior high school in Japan.
MedellinHeel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only the tier 1 schools enforce / require the experience and ive even heard of some hiring newbies. The lower tiered schools certainly have hired newbs before. Not sure how common it is but it happens. Regardless though they all list / say x number of years as a requirement.

Oh and guys I am talking about basic ESL jobs to hold me over until the hiring season for Fall 15 if I am unsuccessful in getting employment for Fall 14.
timothypfox

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks for the clarification MedellinHeel. I didn't know about the actually hiring practice versus what is advertised in the job ads at international schools in Japan in the Tokyo area. I guess "never say never" is a rule to apply here?
RM1983

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not an expert on international schools, but think you'd stand a fair chance at it.

One question to everyone though, can you get a job at an international school from outside the country or would it be fairly sure that you'd have to be able to do an interview in person?
MedellinHeel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RM1983 wrote:
Im not an expert on international schools, but think you'd stand a fair chance at it.

One question to everyone though, can you get a job at an international school from outside the country or would it be fairly sure that you'd have to be able to do an interview in person?

The most reputable international schools hire from abroad primarily from job fairs and skype interviews.
nightsintodreams

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Errrr... I don't quite understand some of these replies.

The way the poster's question read to me, it seemed like he was asking if his quals/experience would be enough for him to get a TEFL job in Tokyo, not a job at an international school.

If that was the question then my answer is yes, you should be able to get a job in Japan without much difficulty. By limiting yourself to Tokyo though, you are reducing your chances.

Why Tokyo? Why not other cities close to Tokyo such as Yokohama, Saitama or Kawasaki? Have you looked into other big cities such as Osaka, Kyoto, Fukuoka, Hiroshima, Kobe or Nagoya?

I think with your quals you should be able to get a TEFL job in Tokyo, but if you opened up to the idea of living in other areas, you'd obviously increase your chances.
MedellinHeel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to have nightlife I enjoy. (hiphop/top40/r&b clubs with receptive women, also latin bars / clubs for salsa, bachata, and reggeaton)

I know Tokyo delivers on the above. Not sure about the other cities.
rtm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Question for Japan experts Reply with quote

MedellinHeel wrote:
So I am preparing for the event in which I fail to secure a job teaching my content area in a International School, thus forcing me to go teach ESL again for 6-12months.
Most places will only offer you a 12-month contract, so keep that in mind. Of course, you can quit mid-contract, but then that will be on your CV. That said, if you only quit when you have a position already lined up at an international school, it probably won't matter much.

Quote:
Seoul is an option but Id rather do Tokyo. With holding a teaching license and having some experience what would be my chances of finding a job in Tokyo?
As nightsintodreams said, limiting yourself to Tokyo will restrict your options and lower your chances.

"Some" experience will help more than no experience, but it really depends on what your "some experience" means (where? in what context?). Holding a teaching license might be helpful for ALT positions where you're expected to be more autonomous, but could backfire because the school might be afraid that you won't want to just be an "assistant". For eikaiwa, it depends -- if your certification is in elementary ed, it probably won't help for getting a job teaching adults, but might help for one teaching young children.

As timothypfox said, private high/junior high schools are an option, but those are more difficult to find from abroad, and without connections. That said, it might be worth looking into, as some do prefer people who have home-country teaching certification, so you'd have an advantage.
Pitarou

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MedellinHeel wrote:
I need to have nightlife I enjoy. (hiphop/top40/r&b clubs with receptive women, also latin bars / clubs for salsa, bachata, and reggeaton)

I know Tokyo delivers on the above. Not sure about the other cities.

I think you need a different sense of perspective. The places nightsintodreams listed aren't exactly backwaters.

Yokohama, Saitama and Kawasaki are all part of the greater Tokyo area, which has a total population of about 35-36 million. Yokohama city on its own has a population about the same as Los Angeles. All are tightly linked by excellent public transport. I'm sure you'll find something to amuse you.

Similarly, there are about 19 milliion people living in the Greater Osaka area (including Kyoto, Kobe and Nagoya.) That's rather more than the Netherlands.

Go and learn about the Taiheiyou Belt.
stumptowny

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jobs here.. its all about timing. doesn't matter what your creds are for the lower paying jobs. you will get passed over by an ALT dispatch company with a phd/MA in ed. if you are applying at the wrong time.. and at the right time, they hire everyone, french canadians, jamaicans, filipinos, nigerians.. all people with very bad accents.. who really should not be teaching. means you gotta be here to interview to be sure.. for the upper level jobs, even less of a chance.. non of these places care about you or your background essentially, only filling their contracts or whatever else they need to do to preserve/maintain revenue..

about nightlife, if your goals are truly to enjoy the different musical genres/activities you mentioned, you will be limited to tokyo/osaka. if your goals were to meet women (or men) I would tell you to not rely on bars and clubs, and hit the streets coz japanese are beautiful everywhere... you dont need roppongi groupies or large metro areas to get laid here.. unless they are your type. what you need is to not limit your options for job searching and grow a pair.. see "nampa"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: