Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

References for ECC interview

View previous topic :: View next topic  
harliqueen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: References for ECC interview Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have an interview for ECC in February. The email I got lists a bunch of things I need to bring, including reference letters "that I would like to add."

I assume it is optional. Is it to my advantage if I bring a letter? I'm not too certain who I'd ask for a letter except perhaps my old boss. I'm not sure if it would do any good though, he is a forensic scientist.

Thoughts?
Pitarou

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get that reference! It shows that:

- at least part of your resume might be true

- you've mastered the life skill of turning up to work on time every day

- you're not a total *beep* who previous employers regret hiring

Without it, your interviewers may feel entitled to assume the worst about you.
Gretschen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I interviewed with ECC in Sydney a couple of months ago and didn't include references, and I got the job. Basically I was just too disorganised to get them in time. I had my CELTA/CELTYL reports that were kind of like references, in that they had a little blurb about my conduct on the course.

Anyway, I think you should definitely get a reference if you can! It can only help your application (unless it's a terrible reference).
harliqueen

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. My boss has asked me what I would like him to say on the letter. I mean, he said he will say I am a competent employee, reliable, hard worker etc...but is there a specific format I should ask him to follow? Specific points he should address? Keep in mind, this was a research assistant job, and I can't think of any transferable skills that would translate to a teaching job. Unless someone can think of some?

Thank again!
Pitarou

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generic letter of reference.

Quote:
Letter of reference for [name]

To whom it may concern,

I can confirm that [name] worked for us in the position of [position] over the period [start] to [end].

I am not qualified to comment on how [he / she] might meet your particular requirements, but I am happy to discuss [his / her] general attitude and performance.

[Delete words or phrases as appropriate. E.g. if they came to work late, dishevelled and smelling of alcohol, delete "punctual" and "and maintained a professional attitude and manner".]

[name] was an asset to our team. [He / She] was diligent, punctual, and maintained a professional attitude and manner. [He / She] worked well with other staff. We were sad to see [him / her] leave at the end of the contract, and would certainly consider [him / her] for any future positions for which [he / she] was qualified.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Yours faithfully,

[name and signature of referee]
harliqueen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect, thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: