Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Big Life/Job Question
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pitarou

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hagiwaramai wrote:
You said you were on a spouse visa now didn't you? I think you must have got a koseki tohon when you got the spouse visa, it's the Japanese family register showing all the births, deaths, marriages, etc.

I know the word koseki, of course, but not koseki tohon. Is it a copy of your current koseki that you can get at town hall?

Anyway, thanks for sharing your information.
Didah

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Teaching Art Reply with quote

I think you have a possibility to teach art K-12 with a master's degree in the subject. With electives such as art, music and dance, I have seen some flexibility. However, for core subjects such as English, math, social studies and science -- a teaching credential or state/province teaching license is required. Another option may be to substitute at an international school if you have the time. It would be a good way to network with the administration and I know that international schools are always looking for qualified substitute teachers which usually only requires a four-year degree and a command of the English language.

Good luck.
akazoroe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Teaching Art Reply with quote

Didah wrote:
I think you have a possibility to teach art K-12 with a master's degree in the subject. With electives such as art, music and dance, I have seen some flexibility. However, for core subjects such as English, math, social studies and science -- a teaching credential or state/province teaching license is required. Another option may be to substitute at an international school if you have the time. It would be a good way to network with the administration and I know that international schools are always looking for qualified substitute teachers which usually only requires a four-year degree and a command of the English language.

Good luck.

So youre saying that since Art isnt a core subject that a state teaching license isnt required?
Thanks.
Good idea on the subbing.
Didah

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer is yes and no. Ideally, an accredited international school such as The American School in Japan, Tokyo would prefer a licensed art teachers because of their certification. However, in a non-core area, the fact that you are there with a master's degree and you could step in -- especially if an art teacher leaves suddenly or is out on maternity or sick leave. I know you mentioned the Osaka area, however, you may want to contact Yokohama International School and St. Maur -- also in Yokohama. They have more flexibility in hiring non-credentialed teachers. Also, if you google international schools in Japan, you will get a fairly comprehensive list. Another resource in International Schools Review. For a nominal fee, you have access to international schools throughout the world. Another good website is The International Educator (TIE) they advertise on Dave's from time to time. They are considerably less expensive than services such as International School Service (iss.edu). There are also a few private Japanese junior and high schools that offer a curriculum in English and would probably not require a credential -- especially with your master's degree in art.
Solar Strength

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Teaching Art Reply with quote

akazoroe wrote:
So youre saying that since Art isnt a core subject that a state teaching license isnt required?

Thanks.

Good idea on the subbing.

Being connected and knowing key people is better than having the right qualifications or being talented.

Try and get to know the right people and then positions will find you!
akazoroe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for their input.
Ive found a number of schools that I will apply to this weekend and see what happens. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: