Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Got a job in Moscow...or else, I only imagined I did

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ev2000

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject: Got a job in Moscow...or else, I only imagined I did Reply with quote

I'm feeling a little foolish right now, and have almost fully accepted that I am not going to Russia after all, even though I had a skype interview in October with a recruiter and was offered a job at Moscow Economic School. I was told that since the semester had already begun, they needed someone ASAP (mid-November at the latest); so I gave notice at work and moved out of my place, wanting to be ready to leave as soon as my visa came through. This, I was told, would likely take up to five weeks and would involve first sending away my documents via email and then waiting for a letter of invitation from Russian immigration. I sent away the required docs (copy of passport and qualifications etc via email), was sent an electronic copy of a contract to peruse, and then didn't hear anything further until November. At this point, the recruiter informed me that due to a clamp down on illegal immigrants in Russia, visa processing would probably not be complete until December. It was suggested that I spend Christmas at home and start in the next semester, on January 13. However, I have still had no word, and my latest email to the recruiter has gone unanswered. I have not signed anything or been asked for any money, so I'm speculating that if this has been some sort of scam, the only thing they could do with what I gave them is steal my identity? Is this even possible or have I been watching too many Russian spy movies?
amisexy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to tell what it might be.

It could be that they wanted to steal your identity, but that's hopefully quite unlikely. More likely, it's just that they wanted a teacher before, and now they don't. Maybe (sorry to say!) they found someone 'better'. Maybe someone walked through their front door, and a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Maybe they have less students now than before, so don't need a new teacher. Maybe the tax/ immigration authorities have caught up with them in some way.

The general advice on this forum is to apply to a 'McSchool', such as IH BKC, Language Link or English First for your first job in Russia. I'm pretty sure I've seen them all advertise on the holidays for new teachers. They are all big, fairly stable and have systems in place for hiring new teachers.

Maybe it's best to put this recruiter behind you and look to the future.
Good luck!
jpvanderwerf2001

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very Russia-sounding situation.
1. As amisexy wrote, they might not need you;
2. Nothing gets done between December 28th or so and January 13th in Russia. NOTHING;
3. They will call/email you on January 12th with all your documents ready and with a plane ticket, then act surprised when you say you'd assumed they've moved on. OR, even better, they call/email you on January 14th asking you why you didn't show for the first day of classes.

None of the above would surprise me in the least.
Good luck!
ev2000

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's somewhat comforting to know that this is not unusual for Russia, so thank you amisexy and jpvanderwerf2001 for the feedback. Makes me feel less of an idiot for quitting my job before I actually had a signed contract or visa in hand!

The silver lining to this particular cloud is 1) I enjoyed a month-long vacation to Vegas, since I had time to kill; and 2) my Russian job offer (real or not) was probably the kick up the butt I needed to finally leave my old job, where I wasn't happy, but would probably have stayed until I went crazy. Comfort and security and all that.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear all that.

Sadly, agree with all the above. But would add one further point - not a happy one, though. When a Russian company or rep stops all contact with you, that is a sure sign that the deal is off. Do not expect them to have the courtesy to actually inform you of that though. The usual approach they take is to just pretend nothing ever happened in the first place, and then avoid all possible contact and/or conflict with the other party.

That's not to say that they won't contact you very soon, as JP says. It is just unlikely, and still frustrating with not knowing for sure either way. In any case, start making alternative plans. No need to give up on the idea of coming here totally, as disheartened as you may feel right now.

An idea for a poll for old hands in Russia: how many job interviews did you go to which were full of promises, yet had no follow-up and proved to be a total waste of time?
coledavis

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never had that in Russia, but it happened to me in Ukraine. Although the main culprit was an American not a Russian.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? You lucky sod. You must have a kindly face : )
LAR1SSA

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ev2000 wrote:
Well, it's somewhat comforting to know that this is not unusual for Russia, so thank you amisexy and jpvanderwerf2001 for the feedback. Makes me feel less of an idiot for quitting my job before I actually had a signed contract or visa in hand!

The silver lining to this particular cloud is 1) I enjoyed a month-long vacation to Vegas, since I had time to kill; and 2) my Russian job offer (real or not) was probably the kick up the butt I needed to finally leave my old job, where I wasn't happy, but would probably have stayed until I went crazy. Comfort and security and all that.

I suggest you start working on a plan B, they may never contact you. More than likely they may have found another teacher or abused their current teachers enough to take the slack until the new year. As said before absolutely nothing happens between December 28th or so and January 13th... I am waiting on the consulate in Kiev to get their crap together so that I can go get my VISA for Russia. Luckily I got a job at a school where I know people who work there so we have been in touch.

Unfortunately, your situation is not uncommon at all
maruss

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: false promises? Reply with quote

I soon learned the hard way in Russia that firms have a habit of asking you to go for an interview, saying o.k. and then leave you waiting indefinitely until they suddenly contact you weeks or even months later, expecting you to be available next day or next week etc !!Most firms seem to prefer to have a data base of suitable people who they can call on if and when, rather than recruiting for positions that start immediately....be wary!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: