Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Czechland (Prague) or Fatherland (Berlin) ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's the local market for teaching critical thinking skills, though? Can a can-do spirit make that work? Maybe branch into NLP? Surely Czechs and Germans cannot get enough of either?
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sash. You know perfectly well that both Germans and Czechs are highly proficient in being critical of EFL teachers Laughing Cool
Their critical thinking skills signals them clearly that someone with (very often) fewer paper credentials than they themselves possess does not automatically rate their respect, though it's earn-able for those teachers who can really show the students that they're getting a serious return for their investment of time and money.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But Spiral! You are neglecting to take into consideration exceptionalism. There are many uncertified teachers who ROCK and can also serve as life coaches, therapists, as well as improve the locals' logical thinking by pointing out the many failings of their culture. Then there is the opportunity to explain all that slang in Hollywood flicks. And let's not underrate manifest destiny and commitment to spreading the values of liberal democracy.

Time to get real, Spiral. Too much time in an ivory tower can blind us to the value of one just not accepting that the odds, not to say facts or even the law, are stacked against one. There's always a way if one is special. The rules for normal people don't apply.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehehehehe

Are you implying that ivory tower dwellers necessarily accept facts, odds, and law, or that they don't think they're (very) special?!! Come visit 'my' ivory tower. You'll soon find just how special some ivorians can assume that they are. Logic is frequently seen in the act of self-defenestration, I can assure you.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiral, I refuse to accept what you say, despite your words being based on first hand experience. I have my own ideas, and my dreams. Stop stomping on them, thank you! I, you see, WILL succeed due to my pluck and innate specialness. Nothing you or anybody else might say can adjust my positive attitude.

I'll shew ya'll!
sparks

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Spiral, I refuse to accept what you say, despite your words being based on first hand experience. I have my own ideas, and my dreams. Stop stomping on them, thank you! I, you see, WILL succeed due to my pluck and innate specialness. Nothing you or anybody else might say can adjust my positive attitude.

I'll shew ya'll!
spiral78
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:29 pm Post subject:
Hehehehehe

Are you implying that ivory tower dwellers necessarily accept facts, odds, and law, or that they don't think they're (very) special?!! Come visit 'my' ivory tower. You'll soon find just how special some ivorians can assume that they are. Logic is frequently seen in the act of self-defenestration, I can assure you.
Sashadroogie
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:20 pm Post subject:
But Spiral! You are neglecting to take into consideration exceptionalism. There are many uncertified teachers who ROCK and can also serve as life coaches, therapists, as well as improve the locals' logical thinking by pointing out the many failings of their culture. Then there is the opportunity to explain all that slang in Hollywood flicks. And let's not underrate manifest destiny and commitment to spreading the values of liberal democracy.

Time to get real, Spiral. Too much time in an ivory tower can blind us to the value of one just not accepting that the odds, not to say facts or even the law, are stacked against one. There's always a way if one is special. The rules for normal people don't apply.
spiral78
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:03 pm Post subject:
Sash. You know perfectly well that both Germans and Czechs are highly proficient in being critical of EFL teachers Laughing Cool
Their critical thinking skills signals them clearly that someone with (very often) fewer paper credentials than they themselves possess does not automatically rate their respect, though it's earn-able for those teachers who can really show the students that they're getting a serious return for their investment of time and money.
Sashadroogie
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:37 am Post subject:
How's the local market for teaching critical thinking skills, though? Can a can-do spirit make that work? Maybe branch into NLP? Surely Czechs and Germans cannot get enough of either?

Translation:

SD: Newbies are so starry-eyed and naive, I think I'll make myself feel good by making fun of them.
S: Surely your European students are much smarter than you, silly newbie.
SD: Oh, S, you're so clever, I'm clever too though.
S: HeHe, we're both quite clever, and experienced, here in this great land of intellectualism and snobbery.
SD: Stupid Newbies.

Just some fun guys Smile Not everyone is as credentialized and experienced as you.
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hej, I was quite nice and respectful to the newbie, though realistic.
Totally get it that guys like this genuinely don't know what they're getting into and no fault for that!
spaceman spiff

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
1. Non-EU
2. No language skills
3 No certification

Why would anyone hire you when they can get a EU citizen with language skills and TEFL cert ?

Ask the French, I did fine in Toulouse (for 6 months).

As for the German language - I could learn that to a customer service level within a month, I already have a decent level. Also, I will have a legal WORK PERMIT. So it doesn't matter than I'm not EU, I can legally work there. No language skills? Pfft - right.

delphian-domine: Hurm - I don't think you really know anything about me. In any case, I've heard your scary story many times over. Just point me to where I can get cheap rent/food and enjoy the daily life, and I'll take care of myself from there. As long as my pay covers those 2 things, all drugs, movies, and travel will come out of my pocket.
kpjf: hey - interesting idea about the saarland! I'll do some more research. Cheers
kpjf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Wow, I was extremely gentle in comparison!

I doubt a smaller city in Germany will prove an easier nut to crack. Native English speakers are still quite prevalent in most, unless you are really going rural - defeating the purpose of lots of girls and etc. Wages will also be relatively lower - if the OP needs to make payments on student loans, that's likely a deal-breaker for the whole region, honestly.

I thought the premise of your argument and others was that Berlin is overflooded with EFL teachers due to its popularity (with low salaries being offered) and as a result there's too much competition? I just assumed a less popular mid-sized city would have less foreigners and more chances to get a job.

Quote:
Not having the local language is also a bigger handicap in a smaller city, obviously. 'My' small city in the Czech Rep absolutely requires functional Czech to get about, and it's the same in small town Germany.

In his defence he says he already has a base in the language. If he's motivated he can improve and Germany offers intensive language courses for very cheap prices.

I talked to a Spaniard who lived in a not so 'popular' city in Spain, and she said there are hardly any English natives there so getting a teaching job in a language academy would be extremely easy regardless of your lack of experience/ability in teaching. But, Spain is Spain and Germany is Germany! And of course, you know more than me, I was just assuming that it would be easier.

spaceman spiff wrote:

As for the German language - I could learn that to a customer service level within a month, I already have a decent level.

What's customer service level exactly? B1? What is your current level? You say you have conversational level, what's that? Everyone says that but everyone has a different definition, that's why I like the European A1...C2 format.

From what it seems you're not letting anyone put you off, so why not just go there see what you find and post back here with an update in 6 months? Smile
spaceman spiff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure what my level is at along that format kpjf, but I'm already able to get around in German, ask for food and things, and I have some understanding of how the language works in terms of syntax (modal verbs pushing main verbs to the last element of the sentence), as well as the case system. As for gender, well I try to think up the gender of a noun in French and go from there, but that doesn't work all the time. In any case, making der/die/das mistakes isn't going to completely befuddle people.

I'm leaning towards Germany anyways, I'm simply more interested in the language, and like more of their movies and books. I mean, even Kafka wrote in German (though I'm a big fan of Svankmajer and other depressing/surrealist stuff that comes out of slav-world). To be honest, Berlin didn't blow me away when I went there for a week (2 years ago), but granted I didn't really know where to go nor what I was doing and the city is too spread out to walk (I had no bike). If EFLers are that ubiquitous there, I might try Leipzig which I hear is a youngish city with a vibrant art scene, less tourists and easy enough to get around.

Though alternatively, I have many reasons to go back and visit France, so a place like Saarbrucken or possibly Freiburg (better geographical location to my friends in France) would also be a good option.

Interesting what you say about Spain. I've spent a good amount of time and talked to enough people in second-tier Western European cities to know that EFLers don't exactly grow on trees (might be different in the capitals), and I can only assume that this is considerably more the case in Eastern Europe. Honestly if you hustle a little handing out CVs and take advantage of networks like facebook/couchsurfing for finding a place to live and making local contacts and friends, it's pretty darn easy to land a decent enough gig teaching anywhere in the non-Anglosphere.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some very nice park benches in Berlin that you can use as a base when you are down and out. Just avoid the winter. And beware of druggies, alkies and crazies in the central districts when sleeping rough. There are also feral packs of spaced-out teens looking for foreigners to mug.
spaceman spiff

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds pretty good to be fair. Do these park benches have wifi?

I live in Montreal, so Berlin winters are laughable.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spaceman spiff wrote:
As for the German language - I could learn that to a customer service level within a month, I already have a decent level. Also, I will have a legal WORK PERMIT. So it doesn't matter than I'm not EU, I can legally work there. No language skills? Pfft - right.

See, what you don't get is the mentality of Europe. Speaking broken German won't get you a job that will pay the rent and bills - it will get you a 400 euro 'minijob'. B1 level? It's barely functional, and there's no way that a German would accept such a person on the end of the phone.

Quote:
delphian-domine: Hurm - I don't think you really know anything about me. In any case, I've heard your scary story many times over. Just point me to where I can get cheap rent/food and enjoy the daily life, and I'll take care of myself from there. As long as my pay covers those 2 things, all drugs, movies, and travel will come out of my pocket.

Cheap rent? Are you happy living in a small room in the suburbs? That's not going to impress the girls...

Leipzig might be more doable, but the party ain't there...
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Leipzig - youngish city". Wow. I continue to be amazed at the remarks from our young North American. Leipzig was a flourishing city before there were any urban settlements in North America !

I can see that with his "miniob" paying 400 Euros a month he is not going to impress those Germans with his level of sophistication !
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
"Leipzig - youngish city". Wow. I continue to be amazed at the remarks from our young North American. Leipzig was a flourishing city before there were any urban settlements in North America !

!

Not quite the meaning of "young" that the OP had in mind, I suspect. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: