Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Czechland (Prague) or Fatherland (Berlin) ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sparks

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Not quite the meaning of "young" that the OP had in mind, I suspect. Very Happy

Ah, but understanding and helping a new teacher is not the point of this thread, rather it is to show how knowledgeable and sophisticated the Euro teachers are and how this young fella from Canada is but a zealous fool Smile
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He does not want to be helped. He wants us to confirm that the decisions he has made are the right one. Common behaviour on a forum.
spaceman spiff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking shite seems to be another.
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C'mon over. You'll find out whether the input here was accurate or not. And please do let us know how it works out for you Very Happy
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
C'mon over. You'll find out whether the input here was accurate or not. And please do let us know how it works out for you Very Happy

Yes, I'd particularly like to know how Czech girls feel about someone who is in bed by 11 on a Friday night because he has to work Saturday mornings. Not much party there, that's for sure!
GF

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiral. Don't hold your breath for an honest reply. No matter what happens, he will almost certainly brag about his 'success' and tell you all how wrong you were. At least you all tried to help him honestly. Hopefully, he will appreciate that later at some point.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But success is guaranteed. What are you all talking about?
grahamb

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Headstrong Reply with quote

He reminds me of Jason of the Congo, a gung-ho youngster who featured briefly on Dave's some years ago.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Spiral. Don't hold your breath for an honest reply.

Oh, if I invested in this to such a degree, I'd have been blue and dead years ago. I remember Jason of the Congo, by the way Laughing
GF

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly don't remember the Jason character. Could someone please give me a nutshell dump about him?
grahamb

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Jason of the Congo Reply with quote

It all started here:

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=1647&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=congo&start=0

It was highly amusing at the time but, unfortunately, Jason later deleted his comments.
spaceman spiff

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GF wrote:
Spiral. Don't hold your breath for an honest reply. No matter what happens, he will almost certainly brag about his 'success' and tell you all how wrong you were. At least you all tried to help him honestly. Hopefully, he will appreciate that later at some point.

So it appears I'm not allowed to 'win' either way, then. Either disappear, or reappear with information and be branded a braggart.

In any case, I'm teaching enough hours online to be able to at least pay rent and food in most places in Eastern Europe, and as long as I can get some privates or other work I should be more than okay. And yes, I'm going regardless of what people are saying, though probably by next fall when I'll have more money and before it'll start getting cold again in Montreal.

I don't see why so many are being so odd about this, but seems common to misread intentions, lambast others for sharing similar desires to what others had, and other scot47ish internet forum behaviour - I see this quite a bit on other expat forums. In any case, if some of you truly chose the EFL life for the teaching aspect, fair do's - but that's not my driving motive.
JN

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do agree with the other posters, but I did recently here from a colleague that someone she knew somehow managed to find some teaching work in a small town in Germany without any official quals.
If it hasn't already been mentioned, you'll need German private health insurance (which I've heard isn't cheap), if you come to Germany and I'm not sure how you'll get a free-lance visa, as I had to prove I was making enough to survive to stay here in Germany. I wasn't in Berlin, so I left that area. I'm not sure if the foreigner's office would count your online teaching.
GF

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spaceman spiff wrote:
GF wrote:

So it appears I'm not allowed to 'win' either way, then. Either disappear, or reappear with information and be branded a braggart.

In any case, I'm teaching enough hours online to be able to at least pay rent and food in most places in Eastern Europe, and as long as I can get some privates or other work I should be more than okay. And yes, I'm going regardless of what people are saying, though probably by next fall when I'll have more money and before it'll start getting cold again in Montreal.

I don't see why so many are being so odd about this, but seems common to misread intentions, lambast others for sharing similar desires to what others had, and other scot47ish internet forum behaviour - I see this quite a bit on other expat forums. In any case, if some of you truly chose the EFL life for the teaching aspect, fair do's - but that's not my driving motive.

In any case, good luck to you. I mean it. I came to Europe 15 years ago, got married and started a family and a business here. I hope you achieve a similar level of success in what it is that you are looking for. I actually never plan to return home. Cheers!
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spaceman spiff wrote:
In any case, if some of you truly chose the EFL life for the teaching aspect, fair do's - but that's not my driving motive.

It might be worth bearing in mind that for nearly all paying EFL students it is the learning that is their driving motive. Our 'lifestyles' have to fit in around that.

In any case, best of luck to you. Do let us know how you get on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: