Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ARAMCO
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Makkah

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprised to learn that Saudi Aramco are hiring again.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

My understanding is that there's a difference between working for Aramco directly vs. employment with an Aramco contractor.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like the difference between travelling steerage and travelling first class by ship in Edwardian Britain.
2buckets

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"POSH"

Port out, starboard home.
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to think that, too. It just seemed so neat.

Unfortunately, it seems to be a myth:

http://www.snopes.com/language/acronyms/posh.asp

"The Story Won't Float
But the story won't float. The first appearance of the acronymic origin in print that we know of was a letter to the editor of the London Times Literary Supplement of 17 October 1935. The writer, an Englishman, wanted to enlighten the editors of the Oxford English Dictionary Supplement, who had marked its origin obscure; he identified port out, starboard home as "an American shipping term describing the best cabins." Why this phrase described the best cabins he does not say. The earliest association of the acronym with the P. & O. seems to come from A Hundred Year History of the P. & O., by Boyd Cable, which was published in 1937. The author calls it a "tale." And as late as 1962 the librarian of the P. & O. was unable to find any evidence that P.O.S.H. was actually stamped on anything."

http://www.merriam-webster.com/help/faq/posh.htm

Regards,
John
sicklyman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Quote:

My understanding is that there's a difference between working for Aramco directly vs. employment with an Aramco contractor.

you understand correctly. However, both routes to employment are initiated by Saudi Aramco.

I've not heard of any recruitment going on either direct hire or contracted so I'd be interested to see the ad that you responded to desertdawg.

I don't know any teachers with JATCO but then I only know contracted teachers in Dhahran. There are plenty of other locations to work for Saudi Aramco.

Know this: they'll make you a very low ball offer because the less they pay you, the more their cut from Aramco. If you've got nothing to lose, you can seriously raise that offer. How much you are willing to raise it is up to how much you think you are worth. I increased my offer on the day of interview by 25% by holding out until they asked me what I'd be willing to accept. I wasn't going to make the move to Saudi on anything but terms I was happy with. There's enough crap out here to deal with to make you feel undervalued anyway... I wanted that monthly apology to feel like it was a real apology.

You can also demand a particular location if you've got nothing to lose. I wouldn't work anywhere else but Dhahran if I were you. But then, plenty of people are not me I've noticed. You're pretty much guaranteed mandatory overtime at Abqaiq, Ras Tanura and Mubarraz. Not sure the score in Riyadh or Jeddah.
Makkah

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sicklyman wrote:
Quote:

How much you are willing to raise it is up to how much you think you are worth. I increased my offer on the day of interview by 25%

Initially they may have offered you the maximum first offer then again they may have offered you the minimum first offer. Nobody knows only the contractor. As you said it depends on what you think you are worth.

Last edited by Makkah on Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For clarification, none of what's quoted above is from me. Confused
desertdawg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was an agency/recruiter who emailed me. Said they had my CV on file.

See how things progress, but thanks sicklyman. Will deffo try to hold out for Dhahran and a decent salary.
Allizwell

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tried to edit the message, but it got deleted. In a nutshell, it is safe to say ARAMCO is a tough assignment even with the big salary -- over 30K SR for Westerners -- so you really earn your money for as long as you can take it.

Last edited by Allizwell on Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
yep

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like these adds doing the rounds recently:

http://www.reed.co.uk/jobs/efl-teachers-saudi-arabia--aramco-project/26606006

"aramco project" With numbers not worth getting out of bed for in the morning.

Perhaps you can negotiate up? Keep us posted.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a side note... Technical writers/editors with Saudi Aramco earn around $101K per year, exclusive of benefits. These positions generally require the following (per Aramco's job site):
    Technical Editor to join the Capital Budget and Planning Division (CP&BD) to convey technical information to the Management Committee and ultimately the Board of Directors/Executive Committee (EXCOM); and a Technical and Manuals Writer to design, create, and maintain manuals.

- A university graduate with a minimum of a bachelor’s degree in English, business, communications, liberal arts or journalism.
    - 5-8 years of experience in writing and editing of technical and corporate documents.
    - Highly proficient in written and spoken English, particularly as related to the requirements of corporate deliverables.

and...

Technical Writer will assist subject matter experts in producing written and oral communication materials that helps deliver the company’s message clearly and effectively.

- Native English speaker with at least 10 years of experience, preferably at the executive level with a large corporation or government agency. Specific experience in the energy industry is desirable.
    - Bachelor’s degree in Mass Communications, English literature, Journalism or other applicable fields. A Master's Degree in a similar field would be desirable.
    - Must have experience working in a multicultural environment writing for a target audience with English as a second language.
    - Strong written and oral communication skills. Able to communicate complex technical, economic and commercial concepts in a clear and succinct manner to individuals and groups from diverse professional backgrounds.
    - Able to work effectively within small teams, with minimum supervision and on less structured tasks.
MoAliAdam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work for JATCO (2 years now) also work outside the EP.

PM me if you have questions.
desertdawg

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Will wait and see what happens with the application. If things go further, sure I'll have questions for you.
sicklyman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep wrote:
Sounds like these adds doing the rounds recently:

http://www.reed.co.uk/jobs/efl-teachers-saudi-arabia--aramco-project/26606006

"aramco project" With numbers not worth getting out of bed for in the morning.

Perhaps you can negotiate up? Keep us posted.

that's def not a position contracted to Saudi Aramco. There are a number of things that give the game away:
contracted staff have three airline tickets a year, not an annual return ticket
the salary is less than half what it should be
the overtime rate is wrong. You teach 25 40 min periods a week at ITCs, not 25 hours, before you get OT.
the housing allowance should be 65% of base salary and not a fixed amount as stated in this ad.
there's no month off at the end of the annual contract. You should get 2 weeks paid and if you want more you can negotiate for it, but unpaid.
there is no Saudi Aramco training facility in Dammam.

There are however what are known as Local Training Providers in Dammam. These take Saudi Aramco recruits and use the company's curriculum and materials but you are working for the LTP, not contracted to Saudi Aramco. As a result, remuneration (and other benefits) are rubbish in comparison for an equal workload and equally miserable trainees.

That'll be what this job will get you, if you want it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: