Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

As a married couple....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
orbit720

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:45 am    Post subject: As a married couple.... Reply with quote

Hey guys I had a couple questions that I haven't been able to find so far.

Here is some quick relevant information. I'm American. My wife is Irish. We're expecting a baby this January. We're currently living and teaching in China with a little less than a year left on our contract. My wife has 6+ years of teaching experience 4+ post CELTA in Ireland, Switzerland, Australia, South Korea and China. I have 4+ years of teaching experience 3 months post Trinity CertTESOL in South Korea and China.

-First, as a married couple do you think it will be easier for us to find a well paid job with a nice compound and good benefits? Should we be looking at jobs that are over our qualifications because we are married and that would help us get a better job?

-Second, would you suggest going through a recruiting agency like Footprint and Travel Away or would it be better for us to apply to individual schools by ourselves?

And the most important question for us right now:

-Will we have to go to our home countries to get Visas to work in Saudi Arabia? We really do not want to be split up, especially since we'll have a baby.

Thanks in advance for the help.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

orbit720 wrote:
-First, as a married couple do you think it will be easier for us to find a well paid job with a nice compound and good benefits? Should we be looking at jobs that are over our qualifications because we are married and that would help us get a better job?

-Second, would you suggest going through a recruiting agency like Footprint and Travel Away or would it be better for us to apply to individual schools by ourselves?

And the most important question for us right now:

-Will we have to go to our home countries to get Visas to work in Saudi Arabia? We really do not want to be split up, especially since we'll have a baby.

Being married has no bearing on the quality of job nor will it give you an advantage over singles since KSA enforces strict gender segregation (e.g., separate campuses for males and females, fewer higher ed institutions for women).

What degrees (level and majors) do you both hold? That will determine the quality of benefits and whether you can apply directly to universities or are limited to contracting companies. (Be aware that the Saudi government does not recognize degrees that entailed online coursework.) Footprints and Teach Away rarely post positions for KSA; however, there are plenty of ads on the Cafe's job board and on other TEFL job sites.

In terms of the visa location, you'd have to bring that up with prospective employers before accepting an offer.
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only place I know that might offer jobs to both of you is PMU. They have a campus which provides for both male and female students.

www.pmu.edu.sa
orbit720

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We both have non education related bachelor degrees from a 4 year university, Humanities and Psychology. And we've dong nothing online.

I know that probably limits our chances. I'm hoping our experience helps.

Are universities out of the question?
orbit720

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We both have non education related bachelor degrees from a 4 year university, Humanities and Psychology. And we've dong nothing online.

nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

orbit720 wrote:

Generally, Saudi employers prefer post-TEFL cert experience, so there's no guarantee if all of your teaching experience prior to your Trinity CertTESOL will be accepted. Regardless, you and your wife's qualifications aren't strong enough for any of the direct-hire university positions (i.e., a TEFL-related MA + 2-3 years of experience). That limits you to contracting companies, which employ teachers as additional staff at the universities. These for-profit companies are essentially middlemen, so don't expect rich benefits and salaries. Moreover, contracting companies can be a mixed bag to work for.

That said, ICEAT is probably the best bet for work for both of you; they hire men and women, which will allow you to work at the same university but at separate campuses. You'll have your little one with you, so it makes sense that you and your wife stay under one employer and at the same teaching project. ICEAT isn't the best, but they're not worst either --- definitely read up on them. See http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/index.cgi?read=36333 for their most recent job ad. If you both apply, be sure to state that you're a married couple with a baby.

You'll likely get some negative comments about living/working in Saudi Arabia on this thread; the Kingdom isn't everyone's cup of tea. So do your homework on the culture to determine if you and your wife will be able to handle living in a restrictive environment. Saudi Arabia is doable if you can lower your expectations (e.g., don't expect a compound), and you have a sense of humor, patience, and flexibility.
bigdurian

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also look at international schools. Being husband and wife would be an asset there.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You could also look at international schools. Being husband and wife would be an asset there.

"Was offered a position at Jeddah Knowledge school"
http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=111349
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: