Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More gloom: the rollback of liberal democracy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this talk about Western/liberal democracy, as though there really is such a thing. Tsk tsk!
steki47

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
All this talk about Western/liberal democracy, as though there really is such a thing. Tsk tsk!

Good point!
Cool Teacher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solar Strength wrote:
Cool Teacher wrote:
steki47 wrote:
Cool Teacher wrote:
Yes I know but that does not mean she hates democracy. In fact she says she likes it (a big fan) but thinks it can be dangerous in some places, like in Wimar Germany which led to Hitler being voted in...

It sounds like she is a big fan, but she just warns about people thinking it can happen easily. She sounds liek a smart lady. Cool

Yes, I read World on Fire. One of her big concerns is that democracy in the Philippines will allow the locals to further express their hatred of the market-dominant ethnic outsider Chinese. (Her aunt was murdered by a Filpino servant and the local police did very little to investigate.)

I am fan of her work as well.

Cool Teacher wrote:
Also, Francis Fukuyama is Japanese and he was a big supporter of democracy

He is Japanese-American! Sorry, buddy, can you please maintain some consistency?

Cool Teacher wrote:
Anyway, my point is that there is no reason to think Asians can't do democracy. Mayeb the ones you picked Lee Kwang Yu and Mohammed Mahatir are just autocrats like Hitler and Mussolini and Mahatir has said some really horrible thinks about the Chinese and the Jews so I think it is not fair to think of him as some regular Aisan person. Shocked

I never said that democracy would be impossible in Asia. However, it does seem that many Asian nations/leaders/thinkers view democracy as "un-Asian" or perhaps undesirable. I mentioned India as a strong exception, but there are others.

Yes, Lee and Mahathir called themselves "soft authoritarians". And both countries experienced massive growth in economic and quality of life standards.

Mahathir said horrible things about Chinese and Jews? Anti-Chinese sentiment is not rare in SE Asia. (Not defending it, per se.) Mahathir made strong protests against Israel, Zioinism and the treatment of the Palestinian people.

Given you started with linking my statement with "racism", not surprising you wrapped up with more smearing accusations of other people. Nice work, you a journalist? Very Happy

Ha ha! Wink No Im not a journalist, but thanks! Cool

I am a Cool teacher

<<<<===== Wink

But Mahatir said some pretty crazy things. Look at this. His racist remarks:

http://www.malaysiakini.com/letters/55082

And this he said about the Jews:

Quote:
“The Jews had always been a problem in European countries. They had to be confined to ghettoes and periodically massacred. But still they remained, they thrived and they held whole Governments to ransom...Even after their massacre by the Nazis of Germany, [Jews] survived to continue to be a source of even greater problems for the world...The Holocaust failed as a final solution.”

Shocked Shocked Shocked

That's well bad! Shocked

Crazy even! Shocked

Anyway, the other point about Asian and Japanese Americans is that they are not born anti-democraccy, it depends on culture and sometimes I think it depends on economics. Liek I think America went wrong trying to put Iraq into democracy after teh war because many people just wanted a living and a home and a job at the time. Being given a vote was secondary. Cool

Anyway, this is a good chat. Thanks. Cool

Cool Teacher,

By polluting threads with smiley face icons, it takes away some of the pleasure of skimming through discussions.

Sorry. Embarassed
Pitarou

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Teacher wrote:
Sorry. Embarassed
Oh, FFS. This is getting a beyond a joke. I know you're just kidding, but reposting 557 words just to add one more is pretty obnoxious.
Solar Strength

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reading this online this morning about an Economics Professor in Tokyo who hosted a Japan Radio 1 talk show. He quit after the management tried to censor him by instructing him not to mention anything about the Fukushima disaster.

Straight News: Japanese Radio Commentator Quits as a Result of Censorship Order

Quote:
A commentator on Japan's Radio 1 has quit after he was instructed not to discuss the nuclear accident until after a gubernatorial election.

And this commentator, Toru Nakakita, is an economics professor at the University of Toyo in Tokyo.

Nakakita quit as a result of the censorship order.

Nuclear energy is reportedly a major issue in the election.
Solar Strength

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pitarou wrote:
Cool Teacher wrote:
Sorry. Embarassed
Oh, FFS. This is getting a beyond a joke. I know you're just kidding, but reposting 557 words just to add one more is pretty obnoxious.

Yeah, he just gave me (us?) the his middle finger.

I've mentioned it to the moderators.
Cool Teacher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solar Strength wrote:
Pitarou wrote:
Cool Teacher wrote:
Sorry. Embarassed

I'm shocked! Shocked

Why are there smillies if I cannot use them? Where is it in the ruels that I cannot use them? Why woudl the morederators be against that? Surprised

I think complaining abot it is like telling someone they use too many adjectives or too much puntuation. I like to use smillies to make my posts brighter and friendlier. Cool
Cool Teacher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pitarou wrote:
Cool Teacher wrote:
Sorry. Embarassed

Why did Solar Strength quote a whole load of smillies if they doesn't like them anyway? Shocked

Cool

ETA: Why don't you just scroll through with the mouse? I usually scroll through a lot of posts everyday and I don't tell people to stop posting to make it quicker for me to scan the threads. I think it is unfair if the moderators are against my posts because I am always polite and civil when I post. And anyway isn't it a bit ironic to say you are for democracy and then be against my freedom of expression? Confused
rtm

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solar Strength wrote:
Cool Teacher,

By polluting threads with smiley face icons, it takes away some of the pleasure of skimming through discussions.
Maybe for you. I don't mind them at all. I think they are quite useful as they give another dimension to a post, and enhance what is conveyed using text.

Time to Arrow move on, and get back to the topic at hand.

Very Happy
Cool Teacher

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rtm wrote:
Solar Strength wrote:
Cool Teacher,

Maybe for you. I don't mind them at all. I think they are quite useful as they give another dimension to a post, and enhance what is conveyed using text.

Time to Arrow move on, and get back to the topic at hand.

Very Happy

Thanx! Very Happy

IOU1! Cool
Pitarou

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Teacher wrote:
Why don't you just scroll through with the mouse? I usually scroll through a lot of posts everyday and I don't tell people to stop posting to make it quicker for me to scan the threads.
I think there's a real issue here, but I don't want you to feel that Solar Strength and I are picking a fight with you. I'll send you a private message.
nightsintodreams

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Pitarou wrote:
Cool Teacher wrote:
Sorry.

I don't like your smiley faces, I'm telling on you! Evil or Very Mad

Pathetic!
Pitarou

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightsintodreams wrote:
Quote:
Pitarou wrote:
Cool Teacher wrote:
Sorry.

I don't like your smiley faces, I'm telling on you! Evil or Very Mad

Pathetic!
Hey, be careful with your quoting! You make it look like it was me who complained to the mods.

For the record: the smilies are not an issue for me.
Pitarou

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pitarou wrote:
When they have the power, what do they intend to do with it?... do they have other plans that they'd rather not discuss now?

... given sufficient power, the unthinkable suddenly becomes all too possible. Things like nuclear armament (for peaceful research purposes, of course)

That was pure speculation at the time, but look what just turned up in The Diplomat: Japan's Plutonium Problem - Japan’s stockpile of plutonium is causing concerns regionally and globally.

Japan is building a nuclear reprocessing plant capable of producing material for thousands of nukes a year, and has several years' worth of feedstock on hand. People are asking hard questions about why Japan is doing this when all their reactors are shut down.

This is how India became a nuclear state—it started off with nuclear reprocessing. And the world has been tying itself into diplomatic knots over Iran's attempts to build a similar processing plant. I reckon Japan has the technical means to build a nuclear bomb in a year-or-two.

Oh, and Japan also has launch vehicles. JAXA invested big bucks in solid-fuel rockets. Solid-fuel isn't the best choice if you want a big space program, but it's perfect for military needs.
rxk22

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow man. That is very real and very possible.
I think japan may need to be nuclear armed in order to stand up to China and possibly NK. Don't really like it, but i see the need
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: