Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice requested before applying in Oman
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tazz

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went 'spartan extreme' during my first 3 months....when I considered leaving the job/ town on a weekly basis-my investments were....

1 4 rial mattress +b pillow.
1 kettle
1 Iron
1 mop +plastic bucket
1 dustpan and brush
1 mug, glass, paper plates, plastic utensils.....

total cost- under 25 Rials. Sounds bleak? It was- but I wasn't going to invest in accommodation when I didn't know if I would be staying beyond those first 3 months....
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tazz wrote:
I went 'spartan extreme' during my first 3 months....when I considered leaving the job/ town on a weekly basis-my investments were....

1 kettle
1 Iron
1 mop +plastic bucket
1 dustpan and brush

total cost- under 25 Rials. Sounds bleak? It was- but I wasn't going to invest in accommodation when I didn't know if I would be staying beyond those first 3 months....

Blimey, now that's what I call hard core spartan!
Whatever will be

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Veiled Sentiment & toko:

Most recruitment agencies nowadays add a few rial each month to the basic salary for a "flight home" and "gratuity" to cover the legal requirements.

Over the course of a whole year, this amounts to about 240 Rial for the flight and as much for gratuity. Not enough to pay for a airplane ticket to any country where English is the national language.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would consult the Ministry of Labor as it appears to me that these contracts do not meet Omani Employment laws.

VS
tmac-100

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MuscatGary wrote:
Tazz wrote:

1 kettle
1 Iron
1 mop +plastic bucket
1 dustpan and brush

Blimey, now that's what I call hard core spartan!

Recently, in Dubai I spoke with several folks who are leaving CNA-Qatar for various reasons. One, who came in the fall and who is leaving in June, will leave with 2 suitcases and his brought-from-Canada sporting equipment. Another, who came in the fall, is leaving with just 2 suitcases. OTOH, those (with families) who have been at CNA-Q for several years are selling/giving away stuff but still leaving with multiple suitcases OR they are sharing a container with several families

Living spartan-like seems to be common with friends who are single expats, and who don't know if they will stay for more than a few months.. This is especially true of those single men in the construction business. Married expats live in a different style. The same is true with folks leaving HCT in the UAE.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: