Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Uni Positions in GCC / TESOL Arabia Conference 2014 advice
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bowden_PSM

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another question, since people have been so generous answering the previous ones:

On the forums and on the internet in general, I have only been able to find a very, very limited amount of information on teaching opportunities in U.A.E and Oman aside from public schools (elem/secondary), the HCT's, a couple of institutes such as IAT and the universities. Supposing one didn't receive a job offer with any of these (I can't do the public school thing for lack of a teaching license), what other opportunities are available in general?

I have read about working for oil companies or military or contractors, but aside from people stating they had found positions with them, I have not read much about the application process. Are there recruiting firms (such as TATI in Oman) in UAE that I should know about, or is there another way?

Again, thanks in advance. I have found the group on this forum to take a lot more a balanced approach to answering questions than I encountered in my eight or so years on the Korean board.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bowden_PSM wrote:
I have read about working for oil companies or military or contractors, but aside from people stating they had found positions with them, I have not read much about the application process. Are there recruiting firms (such as TATI in Oman) in UAE that I should know about, or is there another way?

The military and oil companies in the UAE and Oman do their own hiring and you pretty much just have to wait for them to advertise. While Saudi provides tons of jobs in these two areas for men (often single status, so you wouldn't be interested), there are not that many job openings in either the UAE or Oman.

Just a note in case you are confused, there is no relationship whatsoever between HCT in the UAE and HCT in Oman. The colleges in the UAE had been around for many years and then a Ministry in Oman decided to copy the name, but nothing else.

VS
Fatboy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Your questions Reply with quote

If you are looking for a university position, your qualifications seem more than suitable for some of the foundation/bridge programs that are around. Try Zayed University Academic Bridge Program, HCT or UAEU. Their ads will be coming out soon.They offer housing and a decent salary.

I don't think your wife will face any major difficulties here either. There are lots of people from the Philippines living in the UAE.

Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions.
Bowden_PSM

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again all,

I have put together a package of resumes, cover letters and the like to get prepared for the conference taking place in 2 weeks. When I went on the conference job fair website again today, I noticed that there do not seem to be many jobs posted and the majority of them being in KSA. Are some jobs simply not posted, do they wait until the last moment, or are there not as many positions as I anticipated?

Many of the ads have a contact email. Should I be applying to these email addresses prior to the conference? I have received conflicting information about this. Some have said/written to wait until the first day of the conference and submit the paper documents that day (and wait until the second day for the interviews) while others have said to contact the schools directly before the conference. To compound my amusement, others still have stated that contacting the schools before the conference is the equivalent of jumping the gun and can be considered rude in some cases.

If anyone has some advice, I would be please to hear it. Much of the advice I have already received in this thread has proved to be invaluable.
Chuma

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bowden_PSM wrote:

I have put together a package of resumes, cover letters and the like to get prepared for the conference taking place in 2 weeks.

I will also be attending the conference and would find it extremely helpful if those who have attended in the past would suggest which supporting documents to bring with me.

For example: diplomas, transcripts, letters of recommendation, etc...

Also, how long does the average interview last, and what sort of questions are generally asked? IOW, is the focus on ELT knowledge or are they primarily behavioral interview questions? My guess is that it's a mix of the two, but I'd like to get some first hand info from those that have experienced the job fair.

Thanks.

Smile
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bowden_PSM wrote:
When I went on the conference job fair website again today, I noticed that there do not seem to be many jobs posted and the majority of them being in KSA. Are some jobs simply not posted, do they wait until the last moment, or are there not as many positions as I anticipated?

Last-minute job postings are not unusual.

and wrote:
Many of the ads have a contact email. Should I be applying to these email addresses prior to the conference? I have received conflicting information about this. Some have said/written to wait until the first day of the conference and submit the paper documents that day (and wait until the second day for the interviews) while others have said to contact the schools directly before the conference. To compound my amusement, others still have stated that contacting the schools before the conference is the equivalent of jumping the gun and can be considered rude in some cases.

There's no generic course of action since you're dealing with individual employers. If you email your CV and cover letter, include that you'll be attending TESOL Arabia. However, it's fine to submit your CV on the first day of the job fair; those employers will be present regardless if you emailed them. Anyway, just follow the instructions for application as indicated on each job post.

Chuma wrote:
I will also be attending the conference and would find it extremely helpful if those who have attended in the past would suggest which supporting documents to bring with me. For example: diplomas, transcripts, letters of recommendation, etc...

I was never asked for documentation, but you might bring them just in case.

and Chuma also wrote:
Also, how long does the average interview last, and what sort of questions are generally asked? IOW, is the focus on ELT knowledge or are they primarily behavioral interview questions? My guess is that it's a mix of the two, but I'd like to get some first hand info from those that have experienced the job fair.

Again, the employers represent a very diverse lot---from primary schools to universities to government contracts---no one can say what questions would be asked, how long the interviews last, etc. Frankly, if you don't have confidence in your interviewing skills, then now's the time to focus on what you need to do in order to boost your chances of nailing your interviews if you get any.
Chuma

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Frankly, if you don't have confidence in your interviewing skills, then now's the time to focus on what you need to do in order to boost your chances of nailing your interviews if you get any.

Rolling Eyes

Frankly, I don't see how inquiring about the focus and style of the interview questions indicates one's level of confidence. As a matter of fact, it strikes me as a prudent question to ask before attending a region and industry specific job fair.

Good luck with your interviews--if you get any.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="rtmI've also seen quite a few Filipinas working in professional roles -- teachers, librarians, doctors (though more nurses), dentists, pharmacists, etc. That said, these people are usually still paid less than a westerner would be for doing the same job.[/quote]

The Filipina lecturers working with me on Ministry contracts get exactly the same pay and conditions as Westerners, as do the Iranians, Tunisians, Indians......I could go on. Its the grade that you're appointed to based on your qualifications and post-qualification experience that counts not your race. Maybe Oman is different in a good way?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuma wrote:
Frankly, I don't see how inquiring about the focus and style of the interview questions indicates one's level of confidence. As a matter of fact, it strikes me as a prudent question to ask before attending a region and industry specific job fair.

Good luck with your interviews--if you get any.

There wasn't any sarcasm or a put down behind my comment; the thought of interviewing for a job produces uncertainty and anxiety for some applicants. Plus, the job fair attracts a lot of highly-qualified applicants as well as those with average quals, so not everyone who applies gets an interview. Moreover, given there are 20 or so employers from various countries throughout the region representing a diverse range of teaching positions in EFL as well as content, it's simply unrealistic to assume there's one set of generic interview questions that fits every employer's hiring needs.

Therefore, the basic answers to your questions:
    Question: How long does the average interview last?
    Answer: For as long as the interviewers need, based on their particular schedule and interviewing agenda.

Question: What sort of questions are generally asked?
    Answer: You could be asked about something you indicated on your CV, your background, teaching style/philosophy, strengths/weaknesses, teaching methodologies, skills/areas of expertise, experience/knowledge of teaching Arabic speakers; how you would deal with X situation, how you would teach X concept or grammar point; your work history, TEFL qualification and academic credentials (including mode of instruction), professional development, areas of research/interest, membership in professional associations; usage of technology for learning and teaching; your interest in their particular school/institute/university, ability to work with diverse cultures and in a conservative environment, why you're leaving your current position; if you were a vegetable, which one would it be; your career goals, marital status, hobbies... The list goes on.
My point is that no one can predict what interviewers will ask. In fact, in my own experience, my interviews were completely different from each other in style and content although the positions and responsibilities were essentially the same.

So perhaps your question should be about how to best prepare for an interview. I suggest reading up on each employer of interest (via their website) to see if there's a focus on say, technology in the English language classroom---topics which are bound to come up during an interview. Additionally, make sure you know the content of your CV thoroughly, and that you can demonstrate an ability to teach specific grammar points or a language skill if asked. Interviewers also always appreciate (and remember) applicants who ask smart questions at the end of the interview. Prepare a list 5 or 6 questions that focus on the students and the teaching environment. Avoid asking about salary and bennies unless the interviewer brings it up. However, it's fine to ask about the next step in the selection process.

Last edited by nomad soul on Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Nomad's response here. It is pretty much impossible to answer your question. Now... if you came on here and said, "I have an interview with XYZ University," there may be people here who can describe their experience with that employer.

I've had employers ask about specific teaching of obscure grammar points and how one would handle specific classroom behaviors... about your knowledge of the culture (depending on your CV, of course)... and I had one interview where he spent the whole time comparing our experiences in Egypt and catching up on the gossip about mutual friends in Cairo. He never asked anything about teaching, but he offered me the job.

VS
Chuma

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Years ago I interviewed at the TESOL Conference in the US, and if I remember correctly, interviews with many employers were scheduled on the hour, and most interviews lasted 30 -45 minutes.

Behavioral interviews are becoming more popular with employers these days because they think it helps them to determine how you'll respond to specific situations and how you'll fit in with their current staff. In my opinion, some of these behavioral questions are quite tricky to answer succinctly. I asked the question because I was wondering if this interview style was common at TESOL Arabia.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuma wrote:
In my opinion, some of these behavioral questions are quite tricky to answer succinctly. I asked the question because I was wondering if this interview style was common at TESOL Arabia.

That's never been my experience at TESOL Arabia where the interviewers are culturally diverse. But who's to say none, one, some, or all of the interviewers won't incorporate behavioral-based interviewing at next month's job fair. Again, there's really no way to predict what kind of questions you'd be asked.

If you find that style of interviewing tricky, then I suggest you think back on any out-of-the-ordinary situations you were involved in that entailed resolving some type of conflict or problem. Write down the situations and how you successfully resolved each one; they'll be easier to recall if you're asked about such scenarios during an interview. And frankly, that's about the only way to "prepare" for a behavioral interview.
JohnRambo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not really been looking for work in the UAE. A couple of friends who live there have encouraged me to go there. I don't have a huge incentive to leave at the moment. I'm working at a university in South Korea. I can't really compare working where you're all at and where I'm at. I have 3 years of university experience and an M.A. in TESOL and can speak French and Arabic. I will probably work for another year at my university before deciding to go elsewhere. I make roughly 3K and work less than 20 hours a week. The cost of living is low. The students are mostly good, save for the occasional pain in the tuchus. How are things over the in the Emirates in terms of salaries for those who teach at universities and how are the conditions? I recall reading that many people make 4K a month, but I wasn't sure if that included housing. I'm not sure what kind of hours a typical instructor works.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnRambo wrote:
How are things over the in the Emirates in terms of salaries for those who teach at universities and how are the conditions? I recall reading that many people make 4K a month, but I wasn't sure if that included housing. I'm not sure what kind of hours a typical instructor works.

The info you're seeking has been discussed throughout these forums. However, be aware that the foundation year programs at the government universities are slated to be phased starting in 2018. In fact, hiring by the major universities has slowed down as none were present at this past TESOL Arabia job fair. See "Foundation year to be or not to be" (http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=105150).
JohnRambo

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
JohnRambo wrote:
How are things over the in the Emirates in terms of salaries for those who teach at universities and how are the conditions? I recall reading that many people make 4K a month, but I wasn't sure if that included housing. I'm not sure what kind of hours a typical instructor works.

The info you're seeking has been discussed throughout these forums. However, be aware that the foundation year programs at the government universities are slated to be phased starting in 2018. In fact, hiring by the major universities has slowed down as none were present at this past TESOL Arabia job fair. See "Foundation year to be or not to be" (http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=105150).

Thanks for the heads-up. I will check out that thread. In South Korea, there has been some phasing out at the public school level. However, so many universities are still hiring, though some have cut their staff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: