Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does anyone actually like their job?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiselpoint

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject: Does anyone actually like their job? Reply with quote

I have to get out of Ibri. But every school I hear about seems like a real nasty place to work. Sur University, Nizwa University, Mazoon....they all sound like dire working environments. I know that people tend to only post the negative, so I'm asking: Does somebody actually like where they work, and would recommend it?
grahamb

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject: I like it Reply with quote

I spent nine years with RAFO (The Royal Air Force of Oman); no regrets. Good pay and conditions, 60 days leave, three return flights per year. Accommodation provided, albeit 2-star. Students not particularly industrious, but mostly very well-behaved. Recruitment process still painfully slow, but worth the wait in my opinion.
Sleepwalker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sultan Qaboos University gets a very good press
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sleepwalker wrote:
Sultan Qaboos University gets a very good press

The teachers that I know who have been there since the '80s like it as does another friend who is still working on the first contract.

VS
cam

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nizwa is a nice place to work and live.

Try to transfer to Muscat, Salalah or Nizwa from Ibri and maybe you will enjoy Oman more.
madrileno

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work at SCT, right now. The school itself is tolerable, but Salalah is absolutely fantastic.

Of course, where I'm working now could be considered a paradise compared to the private uni/contractor I was with my first three years in Oman. I wouldn't wish such employment on anyone...
pooroldedgar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mind namin' names?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pooroldedgar wrote:
Mind namin' names?

The reality is that management changes nearly as often as teachers. Thus the places that were horrible when someone was there in the past, may be fine now... and vice versa.

Apply to any ads you see that interest you, and if you get an offer, then check out the current situation there.

VS
Tazz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please kindly explain what you mean when you encourage applicants to 'check out' the situation at a school or college when they apply. Do you think the institute will allow candidates to wander around asking 'probing' questions to staff members? Do you think the same staff members are going to openly discuss problems/ issues with applicants inside the college canteen or staff room? This is the function of boards such as these-where any issues problems can be expressed with a degree of anonymity......and while the posters may occasionally go off on a tangent most of us aren't here to 'patrol' the board and recommend threads become locked. Mad
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duh... obviously here is one of the best places to check things out. There is also "The Google."

I'm not sure what you are talking about, but they are apparently your ideas... certainly nothing I ever suggested. Nor have I suggested that a thread be locked. It is the Moderators who decide that and if you have a beef, I suggest that you take it up with them.

VS
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tazz wrote:
veiledsentiments wrote:
The reality is that management changes nearly as often as teachers. Thus the places that were horrible when someone was there in the past, may be fine now... and vice versa.

Apply to any ads you see that interest you, and if you get an offer, then check out the current situation there.

Please kindly explain what you mean when you encourage applicants to 'check out' the situation at a school or college when they apply. Do you think the institute will allow candidates to wander around asking 'probing' questions to staff members? Do you think the same staff members are going to openly discuss problems/ issues with applicants inside the college canteen or staff room? This is the function of boards such as these-where any issues problems can be expressed with a degree of anonymity.....

That's exactly what she means since the idea of visiting the premises to ask questions isn't realistic. Checking out employers usually entails doing a search on the university/company within this forum (and other similar sites) for info and/or making inquiries. The university's website also shouldn't be overlooked for news about the particular department, who's running it, and what type of credentials current faculty hold.

also wrote:
and while the posters may occasionally go off on a tangent most of us aren't here to 'patrol' the board and recommend threads become locked. Mad

Seriously, no one, other than the MODs, 'patrols' the board. But I too wondered why that thread was in this forum; it had absolutely nothing to do with Oman and would eventually have been locked regardless. The OP simply needs to repost it in the general discussion forum where it's more relevant and for better exposure to his/her question. No biggie.
madrileno

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pooroldedgar wrote:
Mind namin' names?

University of Buraimi and A'Sharqiyah University.

Do a search of these places on here from 2010 thru 2013. You won't find much good spoken of them.
apollolight

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: very happy in Sohar Reply with quote

I think a lot of people really enjoy complaining a lot...I have been working in Sohar for the last couple years and I am very happy at the place i work...good management, lovely students, generally very pleasant colleagues....I am Living near Dubai and Muscat but don't have to deal with traffic or city stress and I can save half my salary most months whilst still having a very good quality of life....It is a quiet place so I wouldn't recommend coming to Sohar if you are restless and need a city buzz.....I honestly can't complain...in fact I feel very lucky....
Tazz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So name the college.....or school, us complainers are all ears when it comes to something 'upbeat'!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick google will tell you that there are only one or two tertiary employers in Sohar. The largest is Sohar University and the recruiter is Hawthorn. I know that just from reading the threads for the last week or two.

But apollolight is right. For every complainer here about employer X or university Y, there are probably 5 teachers that are at the same place and easily get along with the situation. Everyone has their own tolerance level as to poor management or rules one might feel are silly.

If one has realistic expectations and a good sense of humor, one can last a year or two or ten at most employers. Meanwhile, instead of mining for recommendations of place that may or may be not an option for you, it makes more sense to apply to whatever looks possible and then research the employers who might make an offer.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: