Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

sole western parents teaching in vietnam
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tigerstyleone

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smiller1968 wrote:

Now is the time to do this stuff before she begins high school. I do not believe she will be scarred from moving in fact I believe she will grow and become more resiliant, she will learn about different culture, learn a different language, appreciate and value what she has got, broaden her thinking and the list goes on.

Before she begins high school? She's eight, right?

Who's going to teach her Vietnamese? The public schools? They don't have an VSL program as I know of. A different culture? The culture of motorbikes and micro economics?
Just go for it. Now is the time. Carpe Diem. Just Do It.
Can you blog your experience along the way? I'd love to follow your adventures. You could even make some extra income that way with enough followers.
montblanc20

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the time you and her get used to things, half a year will be gone and you'll only have half left. There are many things that can go wrong. If you have a medical emergency, that costs money. And I've been told that you need to pay up front.

What you could do in Australia is get your daughter studying languages when she's young. Then send her places during the summers when she's about 15. Maybe Vietnamese, Chinese, or French. Or all. If you go now and then do nothing after she'll forget almost everything. Get her into some good hobbies like climbing or something. It seems like you want a last bit of exploring before you're old and you're bringing your daughter along. Set her up to have skills and talents, not just follow mom.
Mattingly

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smiller1968 wrote:
Now is the time to do this stuff before she begins high school. I do not believe she will be scarred from moving in fact I believe she will grow and become more resiliant, she will learn about different culture, learn a different language, appreciate and value what she has got, broaden her thinking and the list goes on. Maybe Vietnam isnt the place to go, who knows, there is always barriers.

The age of 8 is too young to really "experience a different culture" and retain any of these experiences.

As noted, the culture in the cities and towns will be bargaining and arguing.

What is the REAL reason you want to come to Vietnam?
smiller1968

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi LettersAthruZ
Thanks for your reply. I hear what your saying. I didn't realise the education standard in International schools were so dodgy.
Would you say this is the same situation in most Asian countries.
What you said about the westerners leaving when there kids got school age is interesting
As for the TESOL schools in OZ, its hard to know where to start and who to trust. Of course I understand they want my money I probably would have gone through TAFE. I did speak to one training place, yet they could not provide me any contact details for any single parents teaching and I really didn't feel confident with their support to get work OS.
The volunteer work is a great idea, Is there a reason you said Sa Pa? I wonder if they would allow me to take my daughter, if it is possible that is something worth considering.
smiller1968

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi montblanc20,
Thanks for your post, You made some really good points, and yes your right I do want to do some exploring yet I want to share some of this with her. They grow up very quickly and before you know it, they are gone. Thanks for the advice, she probably would love climbing too.
smiller1968

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mattingly,
Thanks for your reply, I disagree with 8 being to young, however she may not appreciate it. I understand bargaining yet I can not imagine people arguing all the time.
The REAL reason ...???
Sue
smiller1968

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tigerstyleone,
Yes I am 100% certain with out any doubt my daughter is 8ys old.
I am here to get information and ask questions, not to have the piss taken out of by you or any other keyboard warriors.
I'm suspecting you have no children of your own and I question if you even live and in Vietnam, as you really haven't said one positive thing about it.
Sue
Rolling Eyes
VietCanada

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I taught at a school that was regulated and run by Australians with Australian government oversight and monitoring.

One day after a class I saw about 6 male students surrounding a female student, Ten year olds, They were taking turns kicking her. A female friend was trying to help her. She got kicked too. The target was different than the other students. She was quite a bit taller and perceived to be slower.

I would not bring a child to VN and enrol them in a school here let alone let them wander around without strict supervision. Brutal, primitive bullying is not unknown here. This goes for foreign adults as well.

I broke up the altercation and went to speak to the admin about appropriate action. They were confused initially but eventually agreed to talk to the class about it. Apparently Canadians or just me are a little bit too protective of females. So don't do stuff like that in front of us.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: