Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does It Matter Where You Do Your CELTA?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baggio

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Does It Matter Where You Do Your CELTA? Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I am currently living in Beijing with my girlfriend working for a school, been here for a year now and staying for another six months, we have mickey mouse TEFL certs and as most of you know in Asia you can get away without having a CELTA.

However this summer we are considering doing a CELTA course in Beijing as eventually we would like to move back to Europe to teach, but from reading what some people have said on here, it would be better to do a CELTA in Europe as teaching european students would be more beneficial than their asian counterparts.

Is this true or just speculation? If and when eventually we move to Europe, would potential employers look down their nose at our CELTA because it was done in China and not in say Italy or Spain?

Thanks for any advice, greatly appreciated Smile

Emmet
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Does It Matter Where You Do Your CELTA? Reply with quote

Baggio wrote:
If and when eventually we move to Europe, would potential employers look down their nose at our CELTA because it was done in China and not in say Italy or Spain?

No, it doesn't matter. CELTA is the same standardized course regardless of where it's taken.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going to disagree somewhat, though usually agree with nomad (and don't entirely disagree this time, just somewhat).

Yes, the CELTA is standardized, and it will be considered the standard regardless of where you take it.

However, I've been on hiring committees on and off in Europe for over a decade, and if I am considering a job candidate with (only) experience in Asia, including the practice teaching on his/her cert, I will prefer someone with some experience teaching European students, even if that is 'only' on the CELTA course.

If you're aiming at Europe (and I assume you have the right to work there, as you say 'returning to'), I suggest taking the CELTA in Europe, just to have some experience with European students under your belt before applying.
Baggio

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are both Irish so returning to Europe is no problem Visa wise.

So you guys recommend taking the CELTA in Europe? Would it be the worst thing in the world to do it in Beijing?
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
However, I've been on hiring committees on and off in Europe for over a decade, and if I am considering a job candidate with (only) experience in Asia, including the practice teaching on his/her cert, I will prefer someone with some experience teaching European students, even if that is 'only' on the CELTA course.

If you're aiming at Europe (and I assume you have the right to work there, as you say 'returning to'), I suggest taking the CELTA in Europe, just to have some experience with European students under your belt before applying.

My 2 cents' worth (again).
rtm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disregarding any gross generalizations about students' continent of origin and the teachers that teach there, many people on many threads advise taking the CELTA in whatever place you intend to teach. Doing so will give you experience teaching students from the local population, which will help you understand the needs of local students as well as feel more comfortable teaching them, and also will look good to potential employers.
coledavis

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless there is a specific country that you hope to be employed in, I would do it at home. (a) Cheaper, assuming you can save on rent and food. (b) You get to teach multilingual classes, giving a wider range of skills than if you use your knowledge of a country's language to allow short cuts.
ttxor1

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
spiral78 wrote: However, I've been on hiring committees on and off in Europe for over a decade, and if I am considering a job candidate with (only) experience in Asia, including the practice teaching on his/her cert, I will prefer someone with some experience teaching European students, even if that is 'only' on the CELTA course.

spiral78, would it make any difference is the candidate is a native or non native speaker?
coledavis

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In case Spiral doesn't answer this: Yes, it almost always makes a difference. If your English is good enough (generally CPE or the equivalent) then you can get on the course, but getting employment is by no means guaranteed. Rightly or wrongly, most employers (and students) consider a native speaker to be more valuable.

Perhaps if you tell us your precise situation, we can advise you on your chances. (E.g. a foreign passport holder who has lived in an English-speaking country since they were three years old may do well as long as there is not a visa requirement relating to nationality. A similar situation pertains to somebody who has taken a degree in a university in the UK/US/etc.)
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Rightly or wrongly, most employers (and students) consider a native speaker to be more valuable.

Not actually the case in all contexts. I know many universities (which require upper-level qualifications beyond CELTA) and a number of language schools which try to have a balance of native and non-native speakers of English, recognizing that each group brings different strengths to the process. It also depends in some cases on the level of the students.
coledavis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair comment. Actually, to agree, lower level students often find it easier to work with their compatriots.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's certainly a belief in Russia. Though, I question the idea that only locals can teach beginners, and that only native speakers can teach advanced classes. Falsely describing both types of teachers, I think.
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I wouldn't confine either type of teacher to one end of the spectrum. Though I think that happens to some degree.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you need CPE to get on a Celta. IELTS 6 or 7 seems to be enough. Not sure if this is decided in local Celta courses or not, though.
coledavis

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My comments about whether or not non-native speakers are employable do not apply to whether or not their presence is desirable, merely to the attitudes of many students and employers (cf Sashadroogie's commentary on Russia).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: