Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions on application process/timing after graduation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pacifica8

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Questions on application process/timing after graduation Reply with quote

Hi,

I am a 23 year old student in the US. I will be walking at graduation in May although I will not officially graduate and get my diploma/licensure probably mid-July because I need to take two summer classes. My girlfriend and I want to be able to find teaching jobs in China that are close enough that we can live together. She has a bachelor's in Middle Childhood Education and mine will be in Adolescent to Young Adult Education. I was wondering since I will not get my diploma until a little later in the summer (sometime in July), will I still be able to apply and find a job with my girlfriend by August or September?

I have talked to several different people including former esl teachers who have taught there, recruiters, and placement agencies but I have not gotten a consensus on what is the best/easiest way to find a job especially if I want to be near my girlfriend. My current preference would be for the Shanghai / Hong Kong areas

Any advice or insight that you have is greatly appreciated.

Dave

Last edited by Pacifica8 on Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
rtm

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions on application process/timing after graduation Reply with quote

Pacifica8 wrote:
I will be graduating with a bachelor's in education in May although I will not get my diploma/licensure until probably July because I need to take two summer classes.
I was wondering since I will not get my diploma until a little later in the summer (sometime in July), will I still be able to apply and find a job with my girlfriend by August or September?

I've never taught in China, so I can't offer advice about finding a job near your girlfriend, but I was curious about the above. How will you be graduating in May if you still have classes left to take? Participating in a graduation ceremony isn't the same thing as graduating; graduating is when your university will certify that you have satisfied all of the requirements for the degree.

Also, if you do need the actual degree parchment, it might be good to check when you will actually get it. I know most American universities send the parchment a number of months after you actually graduate. In some instances, however, employers and immigration offices will accept a letter from your university stating that you have completed the degree in lieu of the actual parchment. You didn't say where you are from, so, obviously, your situation in your country might be different.
vikeologist

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, how old are you? Generally speaking you need to be at least 23 and have some experience (of something teaching related in an incredibly loose sense).

Anyway, the lack of a certificate will probably put schools off during the application process. I'm not saying it's impossible; just a weak position.
johntpartee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
have some experience (of something teaching related in an incredibly loose sense).

An unbelievably loose sense. We're not telling you to lie, OP, but spin, man, spin!
teenoso

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you overcome the visa issues (grad/age/experience) mentioned here, I would advise you to apply to the same school /Uni as a your girlfriend - from the school's point of view , they are getting two teachers for one application process, and they often believe couples are steadier , more reliable and cause fewer problems than 'singles', who (young and old ) sometimes behave here like kids let loose in a candy store.
Pacifica8

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the confusion.

I am 23 years old, I will walk at graduation in May and receive an unofficial diploma. I guess I will officially be graduated at the end of June when I finish the two classes. I can expedite the process of them sending my diploma so I believe I can have my official diploma/licensure in mid July.

I am a student teacher right now so I will have had 3 months of teaching experience by the time I graduate.

Thank you for all of the input so far.

And I am from the US
Bud Powell

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait. You're a student teacher at a university in the U.S.. By graduation you will have 3 months' teaching experience, and by July, you'll have licensure.

If you graduate in July, don't expect to have your sheep skin in hand for a few months.

How did you end up doing only 3 months of student teaching?

If the student teaching is in the education department, what kind of program are you in? Three months is a bit short.

When will you take your praxis?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: