Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions on IH CELTA Vietnam and planning/budgeting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lohanfran

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 8:42 pm    Post subject: Questions on IH CELTA Vietnam and planning/budgeting Reply with quote

Hi, everyone. I need some advice on planning, budgeting, and scheduling CELTA training overseas.

I've been looking into IH CELTA training in Vietnam or Thailand before the year is up- possibly around September. I'm wondering, though, about accommodations and pricing? In other words, how much should one budget for food and housing for the 4-5 week training? I could apply right now for one of the courses but I also need to book a flight and consider room and board. Other than the price of CELTA, about how much should I expect to spend/how much USD do you need other than the course itself?

The plan is this: after earning a CELTA certificate, I want to begin teaching in China. I've been there before and would be comfortable there to start out... so any suggestions on how does one get training in Vietnam or Thailand and how to schedule getting a job in China ASAP?

I want to start planning now but I have apprehension on time/budget/and scheduling.

Thanks, guys
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A member has just become an ex-member for insulting and confrontational postings. This is not the board for that kind of behavior. People that have a hard time understanding this don't usually last too long here.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Questions on IH CELTA Vietnam and planning/budgeting Reply with quote

Lohanfran wrote:
Hi, everyone. I need some advice on planning, budgeting, and scheduling CELTA training overseas.

I've been looking into IH CELTA training in Vietnam or Thailand before the year is up- possibly around September. I'm wondering, though, about accommodations and pricing? In other words, how much should one budget for food and housing for the 4-5 week training? I could apply right now for one of the courses but I also need to book a flight and consider room and board. Other than the price of CELTA, about how much should I expect to spend/how much USD do you need other than the course itself?

The plan is this: after earning a CELTA certificate, I want to begin teaching in China. I've been there before and would be comfortable there to start out... so any suggestions on how does one get training in Vietnam or Thailand and how to schedule getting a job in China ASAP?

I want to start planning now but I have apprehension on time/budget/and scheduling.

Thanks, guys

In HCMC, in the backpacker area, budget about $15USD per day for a basic room with A/C. Hunt around and you can find a place for $10-12 bucks.

Some places will rent by the month, and there's an area not very far from Bui Vien/Pham Ngu Lao, Co Bac/Co Giang streets (Check LP VN for moe details) and you can rent a room with A/C for about $300USD for the month.

Food?

Bowls of street Pho start at a Buck or so. Lotteria has a great value menu, of burgers, dogs, fishwiches etc when you want a cheap taste of western fast-food.

Or you can eat VNese food cheaply on the street, but I say budget at least $10USD a day for food, depending on your tastes.

I would say you can easily get by on $20-30USD per day for rent/food.

About getting a job in China from SE Asia:

A legal "Z-visa" is the route that most schools follow (and you should too), that being said, getting a Z-visa from any SE Asian country is not easy, since you're not from here. The Chinese embassy/consulate will usually refuse you a Z-visa, since you are only here as a tourist.

Yes, it's a catch-22.
Lohanfran

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder what the confrontational posting was? Anyway, thanks for the info, and I know it's best to take way more money than you might need as a precaution. It's not that I m cheap- it's just saving the money up to get started. Will check back here later, THX
LettersAthruZ

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently, the community isn't looked upon as possessing the competence to determine if a statement is offensive, bullying/trolling, or within the bounds of acceptability.

Generally speaking, The Chinese are very weird about doing ANYTHING at their embassies and consulates in nations outside the applicant's homeland! A Westerner CAN obtain a two-year, multiple entrance visa for China, but only in their homeland (I tried in Ha Noi, and they REFUSED to give me anything more than 90 days, which p---ed me off to no end, since a 90-day single entry tourist visa AND a 2-year multiple entry tourist visa both cost the same price [$160USD]).

I have had colleagues go directly to China from Viet Nam without going home first, so apparently you CAN obtain a "Z" visa from here, but as The Professor stated - it ain't easy. I suspect that my former colleagues had their hiring schools in China do a LOT (if not all) of the legwork on their behalf!
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LettersAthruZ wrote:
Apparently, the community isn't looked upon as possessing the competence to determine if a statement is offensive, bullying/trolling, or within the bounds of acceptability.

Generally speaking, The Chinese are very weird about doing ANYTHING at their embassies and consulates in nations outside the applicant's homeland! A Westerner CAN obtain a two-year, multiple entrance visa for China, but only in their homeland (I tried in Ha Noi, and they REFUSED to give me anything more than 90 days, which p---ed me off to no end, since a 90-day single entry tourist visa AND a 2-year multiple entry tourist visa both cost the same price [$160USD]).

I have had colleagues go directly to China from Viet Nam without going home first, so apparently you CAN obtain a "Z" visa from here, but as The Professor stated - it ain't easy. I suspect that my former colleagues had their hiring schools in China do a LOT (if not all) of the legwork on their behalf!

Yes, it's possible to get a Z-visa for China, from Vietnam, if you have a work permit or residency in Vietnam. So, a teacher with a WP in VN can get the proper Z-visa for China, as it was told to me by the Chinese consulate in HCMC, VN.

The OP states they want to study a CELTA in VN, then go to work "ASAP" in China.

My advice to the OP: Just get a TEFL at home, apply from your home country and get a legit Z-visa that way. Or from the USA, do a CELTA in Mexico for example, then go to China
damn_my_eyes

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my CELTA in Vietnam and got a job in China with a Z visa from the Chinese embassy in HCMC. converted from a tourist visa.
This was three years ago, so I don't know if its changed since then.

I remember it being a bit stressful at the time, my renewed tourist visa was running out, the clinic where I had my medical didn't fill the medical form in properly.
The embassy staff were very unhelpful, but no surprise there.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn_my_eyes wrote:
I did my CELTA in Vietnam and got a job in China with a Z visa from the Chinese embassy in HCMC. converted from a tourist visa.
This was three years ago, so I don't know if its changed since then.

I remember it being a bit stressful at the time, my renewed tourist visa was running out, the clinic where I had my medical didn't fill the medical form in properly.
The embassy staff were very unhelpful, but no surprise there.

Yes, I've heard a few people get a Z-visa in HCMC, also heard reports it's easier in Hanoi, others say HCMC...

For the OP: You can do a 1-year multipe-entry visa (60 days each entry) from the USA, better to have that visa, then do your CELTA in Vietnam/SE Asia.
tmac-100

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my CELTA @ IH Bangkok and stayed at the Aiya hotel for 30 days at a cost of $10/day Food extra as was internet and electricity and water. VERY cost effective. I had to take the metro to and from the IHBangkok school site "downtown" and it was a 10 minute walk to the station from the hotel

Good course and quite demanding... Recommended for those who want a cost effective course with nice clean accom with air con..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: