Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

King Abdulaziz University
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ricardobaltierra

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:40 pm    Post subject: King Abdulaziz University Reply with quote

I see they are interviewing for their ELI.

From insiders working there, is this a good place to work at? What do you like and dislike about the ELI?

Thanks,

Ricardo Baltierra
pooroldedgar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've sent in my application (a couple of times, actually) and I haven't heard anything, though I've noticed they keep advertising jobs. I meet the requirement, so who knows.
Chuma

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also meet the requirements and sent my CV to KAU, but haven't received any sort of acknowledgment. I suppose they do things in their own time. Confused
lcanupp1964

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KAU has four, eight-week terms per year. They are always short around 30-50 teachers at the start of every year due to the first term being the one with the most students attending. The good news is that many teachers can teach "a double" and get around 17,000sr (over eight weeks) more in overtime. In addition, nobody forces teachers to work OT. As the year moves forward, more and more students "pass" out of the four levels (A1, A2, B1, B2) and thusly, the number of instructors needed drops. Now that the ELI is in the third term, there is no real, strong need to find teachers. One might think that the ELI should manage this better year-round, but... Welcome to KSA!

Hang in there. It's just the way they do things over here.
pooroldedgar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think 6 months from now, when they need teachers again, they will have my resume on hand? Or should I keep sending it in?

Also, how competitive are these jobs? Are there many, many people fighting for a few spots, or is it like every other ESL job I've had where if you meet the requirements and don't totally blow the interview they'll offer you a spot?
lcanupp1964

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would send my CV to the ELI again in April if you don't here from them.

Competitive? I feel that it is a little competitive if you are not a native speaker of English, but if so, most native speakers who apply and met all the requirements, should get an offer. About 30 teachers out around 275 instructors at the ELI were born and educated in an English speaking country.
Hatcher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KAU is one of the better deals in the country... the question is can you adjust?

For what you are paid compared to hours teaching, it works out well. But there are other things to consider prior to coming to the KSA.

1. There is very limited health care... yes, the contract yes unlimited but most of what you would get here, you wouldnt want.

2. If you are introverted and enjoy being indoors, you can survive mentally. But if you are active and like being outside, it isnt easy. Tough, in fact.

3. Not much to do so you have to work hard to entertain yourself.
ricardobaltierra

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject: Who are the big payers in the KSA? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I hear that the typical contract in colleges for the KSA starts at $50,000 plus benefits (housing, plane tickets, etc).

If making money is your priority, where should one apply - not counting ARAMCO and the military contractors (Vinnell, Booz Allen, Dyncorp, BAE Systems)?

Thanks!
SENTINEL33

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Who are the big payers in the KSA? Reply with quote

ricardobaltierra wrote:
I hear that the typical contract in colleges for the KSA starts at $50,000 plus benefits (housing, plane tickets, etc).

1. You "might" get $50 thou if you have outstanding qualifications and experience, but that amount is certainly far from a "typical" starting salary at least at the unis.

2. "Outstanding" qualifications in this case means your highest degree (and it better be at least an MA) is from one of the premier world universities as listed on the various "ranking" sites that have sprung up in the last 10 years.

Among the top 100 is what they're looking for, although the closer it is to the top 10, the looser the purse strings can become.

This development is not widely published - if at all - on their recruting documents such as ads and so on, but it is definitely on their minds as they sift and winnow through the countless applications.

This is due to the recent mad drive towards "certification" of one kind or another and the fact that FACULTY is an important element in the RANKINGS. The more MITs, Harvards, Berkeleys, Oxfords et al. you can point to on your faculty, the higher your institution will rank.

3. To specifically answer your question as to "where" you should apply is impossible to answer. That's like asking which soap brand to use, TIDE or CHEER. It all depends, is the answer and your satisfaction will hinge on who your direct supervisor is and what sort of students you will ultimately face in class.
ricardobaltierra

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:44 am    Post subject: Housing Allowance Reply with quote

Hi All.

Thanks for the reply.

What is the housing allowance for ELI?

I read that they don't provide housing, but instead provide a $400 USD housing allowance. Is that enough to rent decent, though not opulent, housing in Jeddah?

Also, do they provide key money with this housing allowance, or am I supposed to provide the "key money" out of my salary?

Thanks!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Housing Allowance Reply with quote

ricardobaltierra wrote:
What is the housing allowance for ELI?

I suspect it's still 17,000 SAR ($4500 USD) per year, paid out as a lump sum or prorated for those joining after the start of the academic year. There's also a furniture allowance.

There are plenty of threads about KAU-ELI within this forum; you might do a search. Additionally, you started this thread more than a month ago but apparently haven't applied to KAU. This is presently the recruiting/hiring season for the upcoming year for many Saudi universities, so if you're interested, it's best to jump in now and get your questions answered during interviews.
ricardobaltierra

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Application for ELI Reply with quote

Thank you Nomad Soul for your reply.

Yikes! Sounds like they are offering less than $400 per month for housing.

I scheduled an interview and this will be one question I certainly will ask. I hope I am wrong, but for what I am reading I think there is better in KSA - even for an English teacher.

I will let you know how my interview turns out, and what kind of offer they make - if any.

Cheers!
lcanupp1964

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teachers also get (one-time, when you first get here) an additional 8,500sr to help set-up your flat.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Application for ELI Reply with quote

ricardobaltierra wrote:
Yikes! Sounds like they are offering less than $400 per month for housing.

Keep in mind the cost of living is low in Jeddah unless you have extravagant tastes. Plus, as Icanupp pointed out, KAU includes a one-time furniture allowance.
08mansoor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we suppose to just email our resume to the recruiting department, or are we suppose to actually apply online? I hear that the hours ranges from 7:30-1pm. Is that accurate?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: