Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting started in online tutoring

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Online Teaching Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RussianWinter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: Getting started in online tutoring Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm a recent college grad with a TEFL certificate, midway through my first year of teaching (in Russia). I've tutored before, in English and in other areas, though I'm not currently tutoring in Moscow. To supplement my income, I'm considering starting up with Skype tutoring. What are some (reliable) companies that might work well? How much should I charge? What's the best way to market myself?

Thanks guys!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Teaching online" (http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?p=1115612)
"Online teaching" (http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?p=1121209)
"most complete on-line school list in universe" (http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=102710)
Lack

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed some job ads for it on the job posting section sometimes. Other than that, I don't really know. But I do want to try it myself in the future. Will probably go independent instead of making a commitment to a company. Study up, perhaps make a website, advertise, and do it.
Mr. English

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teaching online is underpaid and, no matter what computer geeks might say, just ain't the same as face-to-face; definitely less satisfying from the job satisfaction point of view.
mzuri

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. English wrote:
Teaching online is underpaid and, no matter what computer geeks might say, just ain't the same as face-to-face; definitely less satisfying from the job satisfaction point of view.

If you've taught online, then I certainly respect your opinion, though my experience has been different.

I teach online and here's my experience:

I get paid the same regardless where in the world I live. So for some locations, I get underpaid relative to the cost of living; in other locations, I enjoy a good income.

The key to a sustainable income from online teaching is to have a reliable number of hours and a reliable schedule - a similar challenge as faced by many f2f teachers in certain parts of the world.

When it comes to job satisfaction, there's the actual teaching dimension and then there's the "job" dimension.

Most of my online teaching is 1:1. I have the same students for the course of their contracts. I'm able to customize our sessions to meet their specific needs. We're able to establish a collegial relationship. In one day, I may work with students from five different countries. All of this is very satisfying. From the students' perspective, they enjoy a highly convenient learning arrangement in which they can work with me at their office or at home.

Unlike some f2f teachers, I don't have to work split shifts (unless I want to). I don't have to spend half my day in commuting from one part of a city to another as some EFL teachers have to do (in unpaid time). I don't have to work weekends (unless I want to). I have minimal administrative hassle to have to deal with. All of this is very satisfying.

If I evaluate my online-teaching income relative to expenditures I incur for relocating to another place to teach f2f, I need to factor in:
    Cost of relocation travel (if not reimbursed by a school);
    Household set-up costs
    Time/money spent for application/visa/med exam, etc.
    Unreimbursed commuting costs to school or to students
    Opportunity costs for collateral time related to f2f teaching - that I could otherwise spend enjoying local or regional travel

I'm not suggesting that online teaching offers *more* teaching or job satisfaction than f2f - just saying it is *also* satisfying in many ways.
fpshangzhou

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in China working for a tutoring company, in which I travel all over the city to multiple clients daily. My students range from preschool to adult levels. Matter of fact, one of my classes is kindergarten and I'm learning how to use some new software technology that will enhance the learning experience and add to the resources.
Just like that new software I use in my face-to-face classes, online learning is the wave of the future. I am thinking of teaching English online myself and hope to take my in-classroom experience to the virtual world of English teaching. When it comes to teaching experience that many employers require on the job advert boards, do they consider online teaching/tutoring as valid or will they discount it since it's not the traditional method of gaining experience? Any and all advice would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Aaron
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mzuri wrote:
Mr. English wrote:

If you've taught online, then I certainly respect your opinion, though my experience has been different.

I teach online and here's my experience:

I get paid the same regardless where in the world I live. So for some locations, I get underpaid relative to the cost of living; in other locations, I enjoy a good income.

The key to a sustainable income from online teaching is to have a reliable number of hours and a reliable schedule - a similar challenge as faced by many f2f teachers in certain parts of the world.

When it comes to job satisfaction, there's the actual teaching dimension and then there's the "job" dimension.

Most of my online teaching is 1:1. I have the same students for the course of their contracts. I'm able to customize our sessions to meet their specific needs. We're able to establish a collegial relationship. In one day, I may work with students from five different countries. All of this is very satisfying. From the students' perspective, they enjoy a highly convenient learning arrangement in which they can work with me at their office or at home.

Unlike some f2f teachers, I don't have to work split shifts (unless I want to). I don't have to spend half my day in commuting from one part of a city to another as some EFL teachers have to do (in unpaid time). I don't have to work weekends (unless I want to). I have minimal administrative hassle to have to deal with. All of this is very satisfying.

If I evaluate my online-teaching income relative to expenditures I incur for relocating to another place to teach f2f, I need to factor in:
    Cost of relocation travel (if not reimbursed by a school);
    Household set-up costs
    Time/money spent for application/visa/med exam, etc.
    Unreimbursed commuting costs to school or to students
    Opportunity costs for collateral time related to f2f teaching - that I could otherwise spend enjoying local or regional travel

I'm not suggesting that online teaching offers *more* teaching or job satisfaction than f2f - just saying it is *also* satisfying in many ways.

Very helpful post, mzuri. Very Happy

focin albert

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mzuri wrote:
Mr. English wrote:

I agree with you!
InfantigoPiercingFordyce
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Online Teaching Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: