Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bangkok Success
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there,

Going direct is always the best approach in finding work here in the LOS as you most surely will get paid more. Recruiters and teaching agencies abound here and are in business to keep your hard earned money...and give you very little in return in terms of benefits. Good luck! Smile
MaiPenRai

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Going direct is always the best approach in finding work here in the LOS as you most surely will get paid more. Recruiters and teaching agencies abound here and are in business to keep your hard earned money...and give you very little in return in terms of benefits. Good luck!

People keep making this claim, yet very little to no evidence backs it up.

1. Some of the bigger employment agencies are responsible for pushing for or offering better benefits like health insurance, accommodation allowances, some form of curriculum, visa/work permits, etc. In fact many schools use agencies partly because they cant be bothered with or don't know how to get Non-B visas or work permits for foreign teachers.

2. The myth that agencies bring salaries down is also not supported in real life. If true, there would be plenty of 40,000+ baht/month jobs out there in gov schools who are NOT using employment agencies. In fact, it is not uncommon for schools to ditch agencies after a couple years and then offer lower salaries and fewer benefits to teachers. I've seen it happen many times.

3. The better agencies are paying 30-35,000+ PLUS accomm allowance PLUS visa paperwork and paid work permit PLUS other limited benefits. Any competent native English speaker with a degree making less than this is selling themselves short.

4. There are good and bad schools out there AND there are good and bad agencies out there AND there are good and bad EFL teachers out there.
MaiPenRai

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Salaries usually don't have additional housing allowances although sometimes they include an apartment.

The better agencies will supply accommodations or provide an accommodation allowance (however pitiful it might be, its better than nothing). If an apartment or house if provided, ask to see pictures and get specific details like distance from school, paying bills, furniture/amenities included, internet ready?, etc.
MESL

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Bangkok Success Reply with quote

Most schools don't have a competent person in charge of visas. The least important, least connected, least popular, least competent person is usually assigned to be the liason to foreigners.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Bansheebeet,

Hope by now you have become a Bangkok Success story as was the original heading of your post.. .and have managed to successfully maneuver around the seemingly endless amount of paperwork and red tape needed to do that. I do wish you success in he LOS. Good luck!
bansheebeat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
Hello Bansheebeet,

Hope by now you have become a Bangkok Success story as was the original heading of your post.. .and have managed to successfully maneuver around the seemingly endless amount of paperwork and red tape needed to do that. I do wish you success in he LOS. Good luck!

I have not. Currently in Thailand and just began applying in person on Friday. I did some more research into the company and I just can't imagine living in any of the towns they place people in.

If I can't find a decent job myself (in a town that I want to be in) I'll just chalk this whole thing up to a learning experience and head back home. At least I got a worthwhile trip abroad out of the experience.
MESL

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:54 am    Post subject: Bangkok Success Reply with quote

Quote:
I just can't imagine living in any of the towns they place people in.

Thailand is a big country and most of it is rural and small town.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there,

I understand from several colleagues the Bangkok Success Group is assisting many TEFL teachers here to become a Bangkok success by offering good benefits. Good luck! Smile
thailandgirl

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:46 am    Post subject: Bangkok Success Reply with quote

These guys are legit. I wouldn't worry at all.

I taught with a friend this year, and never had a problem. We joined after the collapse of Island TEFL, and we were just happy to find a company like Bangkok Success that actually gets things done.

We were hired and sent to our schools quite quickly, and everything went as planned. We were picked up when we arrived, taken to our housing, and got ready for the first day in class.

BKS paid us on time every month, and even early a few times. The manager is an English guy, and he helped us out whenever we needed it.

I had no problem living on the salary. I saved almost half my income since life is so cheap.

My friend is staying in with BKS, and I'm going on to Japan to teach with their partner there this year.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news! Another Bangkok Success story! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: