Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finding work in Poznan
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iceman201

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Finding work in Poznan Reply with quote

Hey everyone, I was hoping some of you might be able to give me some advice.

I am planning to move to Poznan with my Polish girlfriend in late August/early September. We currently live in small town Poland, but we want to move as she will finish her degree in June and there is little work for her here, plus I want a new challenge in my teaching career. We've chosen Poznan because we both very much like the city, there is suitable work available there for her and some of her family live nearby.

I've been looking at schools and jobs online, although obviously since it's not hiring season at the moment there aren't many jobs being advertised. Nonetheless I'm keen to make sure I have at least one contract sewn up before late June, as I've committed to about six weeks of summer camp work between late June and mid-August which means I can't really do much applying during that period. My summer camp work is however based around Poznan so I could go around some schools on my occasional free days.

How would you advise I play it? Should I start researching schools now and shooting off CVs? Or should I wait until nearer hiring season? Or even wait until quite late in the day and rely on being able to find offers during or immediately after my summer camp work?

Thanks in advance for any advice or help Smile
Master Shake

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey iceman,

I applaud your thinking ahead about this, but I don't know if most Polish-owned language schools have the same mentality - they usually wait until September, even late September to hire teachers.

Still, you may have some luck sorting out a contract in June. It's worth a try.

There are several regular posters here who are based in Poz. They should be able to help you.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends what you're looking for - and crucially, whether you need a work permit or not. If you need a work permit, then you're going to be in trouble - a lot of schools simply won't bother talking to you because there are so many non-EU citizens with full working rights here already.

If you're coming here, then my suggestion would be to spend a year working for several different schools. You can easily pick up 2 hours here, 2 hours there and so on - and it will get you in the door with schools willing to offer full time contracts. If you're willing to go self employed, then this route can be very profitable - and will open doors to a full time job somewhere.

It's worth pointing out that schools here simply don't need to hire people full time - there are so many native speakers in Poznan these days that they can afford to pick and choose.

Like Master Shake says, schools won't do much until September anyway. They won't know pupil numbers until nearer the time, and it's highly unlikely that they'll commit to full time contracts to an unknown person before they have a rough idea of numbers.

I'd recommend hitting the streets in late August/early September - but I think it's highly unlikely that you'll be able to agree any sort of contract before the summer.

What's your educational background?
iceman201

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I am a British citizen and passport holder so no need for visas etc.

Education wise I hold a TEFL certificate and certificates in teaching young learners and business English. I also hold a masters degree, not really that relevant but I know some employers like you to have this.

I taught at some summer camps last year for a school in Poznan and I got on well with the owner, I'm doing the camps again this year so I'm hopeful they might offer me some hours.

I also know some other teachers in Poznan through this, I spoke with one of them yesterday and he recommended similar to you delphian - that I wait until summer at the earliest. He seemed confident I would find work without too many problems and he's lived in Poznan a long time so he should know.

Delphian - you mentioned becoming self-employed. What would this entail exactly?

Cheers Smile
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Program Bell, Profi-lingua, Empik, speak Up, UAM 9 (the uni), Akaedmie of Economics, Wyszla Skola, Akces..should be worth a shout. Get your profile on the native speaker website and have a look at Gumtree with your Polish missus are there are jobs on there frequently. Do it in late May/June and again in Sep for the Uni but Sep for the language schools and hit them again in Oct if you have no luck the first time.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iceman201 wrote:
Hi guys,

I am a British citizen and passport holder so no need for visas etc.

That makes a huge difference in your ability to find work!

Quote:
Education wise I hold a TEFL certificate and certificates in teaching young learners and business English. I also hold a masters degree, not really that relevant but I know some employers like you to have this.

It's a pity you don't have the CELTA, but it's not the end of the world. The Masters will really help you here - in a society obsessed with titles, it can open some doors for you. I'd actually strongly urge you (if you want to stay in Poland) to get onto a pedagogical qualification course here - it will give you full teacher rights and could be invaluable.

Quote:
I taught at some summer camps last year for a school in Poznan and I got on well with the owner, I'm doing the camps again this year so I'm hopeful they might offer me some hours.

Don't wait for them to offer - ask them straight out for the hours. Polish people like strong people, for whatever reason.

Quote:
I also know some other teachers in Poznan through this, I spoke with one of them yesterday and he recommended similar to you delphian - that I wait until summer at the earliest. He seemed confident I would find work without too many problems and he's lived in Poznan a long time so he should know.

I wouldn't be so confident personally - I know a few well qualified teachers who ended up in Callan schools because they were unlucky. In your case, I'd recommend sending CV's already to the major schools and universities - the Masters degree is something that most bone idle native speakers don't have, and even if it's not in English, it doesn't really matter.

Quote:
Delphian - you mentioned becoming self-employed. What would this entail exactly?

Not much - you need to pay 400zl a month in mandatory ZUS contributions and about 150zl a month for an accountant, but it can really change things in terms of being employable. I wouldn't do it straight away - in fact, I'd advise not doing it until you're established here.

You can also send me your CV if you want - I keep a reserve file just in case something happens to our existing teachers.
iceman201

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't currently hold a CELTA but I will certainly consider doing one once we're settled in Poznan.

I've already emailed the owner of the school in Poznan I mentioned previously to tell them I will be moving to Poznan and that I'd like to discuss getting some hours there after the summer. Will have a chance to talk to them face to face over the summer as well. But obviously can't put all my eggs in one basket, will almost certainly need to work at multiple schools to fill my timetable.

Good to hear my masters might be of some use. I'm certainly not bone idle so that should count in my favor! Surprised to hear teachers can get away with being bone idle in Poznan, would have thought it a pretty competitive market.

Dragonpiwo - you mention a native speaker website. What's the link? Surprised to hear they advertise jobs on gumtree but there you go!

Thanks again for the advice, this is all really useful stuff Smile
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Think this is it.

www.nativespeaker.com.pl/native-speaker-poznan‎
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iceman201 wrote:
Good to hear my masters might be of some use. I'm certainly not bone idle so that should count in my favor! Surprised to hear teachers can get away with being bone idle in Poznan, would have thought it a pretty competitive market.

What happened on numerous occasions was that they got lazy - they found a place offering them a full time job and they didn't do anything to improve themselves. Then they found themselves unemployed for whatever reason - and they simply didn't have the experience or qualifications to find something better. It happens a lot - but in my opinion, it's their own fault.
iceman201

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, sorry to necro an old thread but I thought it easier than starting a new one.

Just to recap, I'm moving to Poznan at the end of next week (27th June) with my girlfriend; for the first six weeks I'm on summer camp duty, whilst my girlfriend finds us a flat, moves in and starts her job.

After the camps (which end on 12th August) I'll be looking for work. I sent off a dozen or so CV's with covering letters during the first week of June but I've got no replies yet, not really surprised as from what I understand most schools don't start recruiting new teachers until August-September time. Do you think I should persist with sending CV's for the moment or wait until after the camps?

Also is there any advice about living in Poznan that you can give me? For example good areas to live, areas to avoid, expected living costs, etc. Any information or advice you can think of would be greatly appreciated

Plus if there's anyone on here who lives in Poznan and wants to meet up for a drink sometime that would be cool, it's always good to meet new people especially when you've just moved to a new place! Smile
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will you be around before going off on the camps? I'd be happy to show you around and give you the nitty gritty on everything Smile
iceman201

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I'll be around on Friday 27th and Saturday 28th, I have some things to do and people to meet & catch up with but I'm sure I can find time, probably on the Saturday evening. Will PM you my mobile number.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here goes Wink

iceman201 wrote:
After the camps (which end on 12th August) I'll be looking for work. I sent off a dozen or so CV's with covering letters during the first week of June but I've got no replies yet, not really surprised as from what I understand most schools don't start recruiting new teachers until August-September time. Do you think I should persist with sending CV's for the moment or wait until after the camps?

I'd send a few more, but I wouldn't expect anything now. Everyone is more or less thinking about summer holidays now - but you might find a school director who wants something arranged now. I think my school is quite unique in sorting these things out well in advance, though.

Quote:
Also is there any advice about living in Poznan that you can give me? For example good areas to live.

Generally speaking, there are no bad areas - but I would recommend staying somewhere near a tram line. The traffic in Poznan can be horrific, and you don't want to rely on a bus to get home. A crucial thing to bear in mind is to ask to see the monthly administration bills - some parts of Poznan (particularly Rataje) have horrifically huge administration bills in old communist blocks.

My suggestion (as someone new to Poznan) would be to try and find somewhere in Jezyce. It's becoming more and more fashionable, it's walkable from the city centre and so on.

Quote:
expected living costs, etc

A monthly public transport pass is about 100zl (I forget the exact number...), but everything else is very variable. Generally speaking, a beer will cost you between 4-8zl, depending on the place that you go to and the location. Hmm...

The rest, feel free to pick my brains Smile I can't think of any particular costs

Quote:
. Any information or advice you can think of would be greatly appreciated

I'll explain it properly when we meet, but like I said before, the self employment route is a good one once you've got some experience here. I wouldn't do it in the first year, but after that - definitely.

What's your MA in, out of interest? There's always the possibility that one of the universities might be interested in hiring you to teach the subject in English...

Quote:
Plus if there's anyone on here who lives in Poznan and wants to meet up for a drink sometime that would be cool, it's always good to meet new people especially when you've just moved to a new place! Smile

Absolutely Wink
ecocks

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two more cents worth.....

Use your downtime and get the word out that you're looking for students. Now is the time to be networking if you are serious about maximizing your chances.

Contrary to popular belief there is work out there even in the summertime. I had two of my best students last summer. One doing 5 lessons a week, the other 6. Those two alone were grossing over 3000zl/month in non-prime time slots.

Find a couple of groups to look into. The right groups can spread your availability quickly and provide a multiplier effect. It takes more than hanging out at pubs and chatting up expats to get the ball rolling IF you are determined to work instead of loafing around all the time.

Best of Luck!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
iceman201

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delphian - thanks for the info, yes I guessed staying near a tramline would be a good idea, another friend already warned me about those "administration" fees. This info is especially useful for my girlfriend as actually it will be her doing most of the flat hunting (I'll be on camp).

My MA and Masters are in Politics, International Relations and International Security.

Ecocks - Yeah I agree networking is important in every industry. Fortunately I already have some friends who are ESL teachers in Poznan, met them through my summer camp work last year and I'll work with them again this summer. Plus I'll meet Delphian when I arrive too.

I'm generally not very good at loafing around, except when the world cup is on... Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: