Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I’m Canadian. Info needed about the visa process in Kuwait

View previous topic :: View next topic  
saidsirii

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: I’m Canadian. Info needed about the visa process in Kuwait Reply with quote

Greetings:

I am Canadian and I have accepted a teaching position in Kuwait. I have received some information from my school but frankly the information is not clear. So far, this is what I know:

As requested, as part of initial employment and residency process, I have given the school a recent photo of myself. With this photo, the School, I believe, applies for initial teaching approval from the Ministry of Education in Kuwait. When the school receives the appropriate, initial visa from the Ministry of Education in Kuwait, the school will mail it to me in Canada. However, is this correct?

1) The school doesn’t seem to want any of my degrees right now. However, does this make any sense? Also, the school wants my original degree authenticated from the Kuwaiti Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Kuwait and the Kuwait Embassy in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. However, how do I authenticate my “original” degree? My degree is authentic. It has all the stamps and seals, but is this enough for the Kuwaiti Embassy in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada? Also, I am in Saudi Arabia right now. I won’t be in Canada until the end of May. Can this “authenticating” by the Kuwaiti Embassy wait until then? Does anyone understand what is required here? Could they explain this to me please.

2) The school also wants a Police Clearance Certificate (PCC) from me. No problem. I will get it from the RCMP in Canada. However, the school wants this PCC authenticated from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Kuwait as well as the Kuwait Embassy in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. However, how do I get the Kuwait Embassy to authenticate this PCC? Can I courier my PCC to them or does it mean that I have to travel to Ottawa at my own expense? If so, no problem. However, is there any way to avoid this?

3) Finally, the school seems to want me to get a complete medical before I travel to Kuwait. However, the school is also saying that the Kuwaiti Embassy will tell me the “authorized hospitals or clinic.” Does this mean that I have to get my medical checkup in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada? Does this mean I can’t get my medical in Halifax, Nova Scotia where I spend my summers every year? Does anyone understand what is required here? Could they explain this to me please.

If anything of this means that I must travel to Ottawa that is workable. However, I live thousands of kilometers away from Ottawa, Canada (in Halifax) so this is very difficult for me. Frankly, is there anyone on this Forum who going to Kuwait from Canada this year who could explain more clearly the necessary steps to me. For example, if my documents must go to Ottawa, are there "agents" in Ottawa who can expedite this process at the Embassy for me without me actually traveling to Ottawa or is there a cheaper way than this? For example, if my documents must go to Ottawa, are there "agents" in Ottawa who can expedite this process at the Embassy for me without me actually traveling to Ottawa or is there a cheaper way even than this? If you wish, you can email me the email address below. We just might be going to the same school.

Please understand that I am posting this rather long message because the school hasn’t been completely clear with me, but, of course, this is only my opinion. I am sure that they are trying, but I feel that I need additional information from outside sources to complete this process correctly. Frankly, I want to be employed in Kuwait in September and not unemployed in Canada this September.

Any information/help anyone can give me in this matter is greatly appreciated. Also, if anyone knows a better or alternative place for me to post my requests, please let me know. Finally, if anyone wants to contact me privately about any of the above, you can contact me at the following email address: [email protected] I look forward to hearing from you.
mashkif

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: I’m Canadian. Info needed about the visa process in Ku Reply with quote

saidsirii wrote:
[...]As requested, as part of initial employment and residency process, I have given the school a recent photo of myself. With this photo, the School, I believe, applies for initial teaching approval from the Ministry of Education in Kuwait. When the school receives the appropriate, initial visa from the Ministry of Education in Kuwait, the school will mail it to me in Canada. However, is this correct?

You should get a scanned visa emailed to you, which will await you at the airport. You collect it prior to clearing immigration at the airport. Your sponsor will then parlay it into a residence permit within a couple of months of your arrival.

saidsirii wrote:
1) The school doesn’t seem to want any of my degrees right now. However, does this make any sense? Also, the school wants my original degree authenticated from the Kuwaiti Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Kuwait and the Kuwait Embassy in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. However, how do I authenticate my “original” degree? My degree is authentic. It has all the stamps and seals, but is this enough for the Kuwaiti Embassy in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada? Also, I am in Saudi Arabia right now. I won’t be in Canada until the end of May. Can this “authenticating” by the Kuwaiti Embassy wait until then? Does anyone understand what is required here? Could they explain this to me please.

If you're in Saudi Arabia, then I take it you had had to have your degrees authenticated prior to coming to Saudi Arabia (assuming you are there on a legitimate visa with a valid employment residence). If not, then the Canadian government (most probably the ministry of education, but you will want to check that) will need to authenticate your diplomas. Their authentication is then authenticated by the Canadian state department, which is then authenticated by the Kuwaiti embassy in Canada. There may be intermediary steps within the described process, depending on state - as opposed to federal - laws.

Once you bring your documents to Kuwait, the Kuwaiti embassy's authentication will be authenticated by the Kuwaiti state department (foreign ministry).

However, there may be a faster way: Ask the Canadian embassy in Saudi if it can authenticate your degrees. If so, then you will take that authentication to the Saudi state department, and then the Kuwaiti embassy.

Another alternative would be to hop over to Kuwait from Saudi, have the Canadian embassy in Kuwait authenticate your degrees, and then you can take them straight to the Kuwaiti state department (in Kuwait). Check though that the Canadian embassy in Kuwait does this.

2) The school also wants a Police Clearance Certificate (PCC) from me. No problem. I will get it from the RCMP in Canada. However, the school wants this PCC authenticated from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Kuwait as well as the Kuwait Embassy in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. However, how do I get the Kuwait Embassy to authenticate this PCC? Can I courier my PCC to them or does it mean that I have to travel to Ottawa at my own expense? If so, no problem. However, is there any way to avoid this?

Again, the police clearance certificate needs to be authenticated by the Canadian state department, then the Kuwaiti embassy in Canada. Once in Kuwait, the Kuwaiti state department will authenticate its Canadian embassy's authentication.

3) Finally, the school seems to want me to get a complete medical before I travel to Kuwait. However, the school is also saying that the Kuwaiti Embassy will tell me the “authorized hospitals or clinic.” Does this mean that I have to get my medical checkup in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada? Does this mean I can’t get my medical in Halifax, Nova Scotia where I spend my summers every year? Does anyone understand what is required here? Could they explain this to me please.[...][/quote]

This is news to me. I underwent a medical after arriving in Kuwait, said medical comprising a blood test. Ask on what basis they are demanding this from you and if you can have it done post-arrival in Kuwait. If not, then yes, you will have to choose from one of the medical centers "authorized" by the Kuwaiti embassy; there is no leeway there.

As far as whether there is an agent who can expedite or facilitate the process, I have no idea. Perhaps someone else can jump in here and enlighten the both of us. There are agents who do this type of thing in the U.S. for Saudi applications, but I never heard of one catering to Kuwaiti visa applicants, mostly because the process is (was?) a lot simpler than the Saudi rigmarole.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Kuwait All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: