Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Work experience certificates"?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robinh66

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: "Work experience certificates"? Reply with quote

Salaam Alaikum,

I'm back at the job search thing, looking to head somewhere in the ME. I've been coming across job ads requiring "work experience certificates" or other words to that effect. Can someone fill me in on this arcana?

BTW, I have an MATESOL degree and many years of experience. I don't suppose I can document every place I've worked if that's what they want. How have others coped with this, if that's indeed what it means?

TIA!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an item that I had never heard of when I arrived in the ME. Apparently they expect you to have received some sort of letter - with appropriate signatures and fancy stamps preferred - explaining that you worked there for X amount of time for Y amount of pay and doing Z.

Needless to say, I could provide nothing from US employers as they don't provide them. The only option is to attempt to get past employers to send you one. If that is impossible, you must just proceed without them - there is no 'substitute.'

Employers who have a pay scale based on degree + X amount of money for each year of experience may not consider years that you don't have a letter for - for instance this was true of Kuwait University. It depends on the individual employer.

VS
Robinh66

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, VS. I thought that's what it was. I actually did work at KU for 2 years and had to do that to get experience pay. I thought perhaps there was some kind of specific form I was supposed to know about.

Sheesh! What a major pain! I can't remember if I kept those old letters or not!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can relate... one gets tired of schlepping all this paperwork from country to country. I eventually got one of those plastic expandable briefcases with a handle... and made sure I kept everything employment related in it.

The good news is that not every employer actually uses them. Some places took the ones I had and never mentioned those that were missing... and it didn't affect salary.

VS
ttxor1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: work experience letters Reply with quote

Hi VS and Robinh66

Quote:
veildsentiments wrote: This is an item that I had never heard of when I arrived in the ME. Apparently they expect you to have received some sort of letter - with appropriate signatures and fancy stamps preferred - explaining that you worked there for X amount of time for Y amount of pay and doing Z.

I was blindsided by this request too. It is exactly as VS describes, but I am more used to employers writing reference letters -- a more detailed letter describing the candidate's skills and abilities. I have had to ask friends and former colleagues in Korea to pick these "work certificates/proof of employment letters" up for me from the Ministries of Education and FedEx them to me!! As VS notes, it probably depends on the employer, but my offer said that without originals of these docs, the offer could be changed or cancelled.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they are two completely different things. Letters or certificates of experience are just the bare bones of your employment history. It gives dates, position title, and perhaps pay.

Letters of reference are to tell them what a wonderful teacher, employee, and all around good human you are - preferably written by a supervisor.

Both are likely needed to get you hired, but the importance of the experience certificates is that they can affect your salary... along with your degrees.

VS
(I wonder if Robin66 is still around... considering that this thread is from 2006!! Laughing)
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Oman they're insisting that letters/certificates of experience go through the whole apostille/attestation process......
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was how it was from 1988-2000, but in the past, you could put it all into one package - all of your certs and employment certs could be stapled into one batch of photocopies... with attached statement of being copies of the originals... and then collecting the proper stamps and signatures.

VS
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
That was how it was from 1988-2000, but in the past, you could put it all into one package - all of your certs and employment certs could be stapled into one batch of photocopies... with attached statement of being copies of the originals... and then collecting the proper stamps and signatures.

VS

Not now....
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly, I have had friends who just did the process in DC in the last year and a half... and it was exactly the same as when I did it.

Expensive waste of time and money for nothing... IMHO...

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: