Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How long after interview does DCC let u know

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
usool

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 3:34 am    Post subject: How long after interview does DCC let u know Reply with quote

Hi there

I had an interview with Damaam Community College about four weeks ago but have heard nothing back from them and have tried to email and stuff but got no reply. Does anybody know if this entails a rejection?

Regards and best wishes

Muhammad
ProfessorBob77

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 10:23 am    Post subject: Dear Muhammad Reply with quote

Muhammad, I would suggest you just choose one of the other employers then. Due to the present situation there are at least 15 other schools that will want you. Any school that rejects a "real live breathing" English teacher who is willing and able to both come and teach will regret it. Mark my words you will get a call on August 25th when 50% of their intended staff either a)couldn't get their visa or b)back out because of the recent events and the doom sayers predictions. So be strong Muhammad, and you will get the post a fine teacher deserves. Later,The Prof!
usool

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject: Dear Prof Reply with quote

Dear Prof.

15 other institutions. I have lit. sent my CV all over the country and only got to the interview stage with two! Any ideas of other places I can try?

Plus I have an offer from Jeddah Community College but they are only paying 5000 a month. Is this a good rate?

Regards and best wishes

Muhammad
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 1:45 pm    Post subject: Slave wages Reply with quote

Dear usool,
5000 SR a month??!!!! NO - definitely NOT "a good rate". Twice that would be "OK" (but still not "good").
Regards,
John
usool

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 2:03 pm    Post subject: First Job Reply with quote

Dear John

This is my first job after my MA but I have couple of years experience before this. Is this wage still way too low. I was thinking of just working there for a year to find my feet then find a better paying job.

What do you think?

Muhammad
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear usool,
I don't believe you'll get any credit for those "couple of years" of experience before you got your MA - at least, that's how the IPA, where I worked, operated. But 5,000's still too low for someone with an MA, about a third too low, at least. You should start off, even with 0 years of experience and an MA, at about 7,500 or 8,000SR, I'd say.
Regards,
John
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the 1st world salary scale SR5,000 is way too low. John's figures are right for government jobs. You can get credit for the MA or for the BA and the experience before the MA, but not both.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds to me like the salary offered to a "Third Worlder" or "TCN".
ProfessorBob77

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 9:50 pm    Post subject: 5000 is far too low Reply with quote

A quick comment on the 5000 salary offer. If that's the kind of money you're being offered you might as well come to Northern China where the cost of living is much lower. Entry Level positions are usually between 9-10,000 this year. I would have to think the 5000 offer is a low-balling tactic by your potential employer. I have read that in S.A. bargaining is a way of life. I'm sure the vets on this board could expand on that.
The Prof.
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread reminds me of somehting I mentioned to John a few days ago: that perhaps the mass exodus from Saudi Arabia is nt as dramatic as is sometimes supposed? I refer to the OP's difficulty in finding work there.

Or is it simply that we adventurous TEFLers are more resilient/foolhardy/desperate/realistic?
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the exodus is dramatic, but the delays are more likely to be the result of bureacracy than anything else. I know of plenty of people in the same position with DCC.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Salaries for "non-western" staff are much lower. If for some reason you are perceived as being "non-western" they will try to hire you for a REALLY low wage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: