Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Making a career in Southern Italy?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sof

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Making a career in Southern Italy? Reply with quote

I've been working full time as an EFL teacher in Sicily for 3 years now (feel free to reply if you would like advice for Sicily) and feel it's time to do more with my qualifications (MA TESOL and Trinity Dip), but I don't know where to go/how to make a career out of EFL in the south of Italy.
Are PON and private courses a must or is it possible to get a decent full time position in a school that invests in their teachers?
Does anyone know anything about The British School in Reggio Calabria?
Also, why are teaching jobs with the British Council, Naples so difficult to come by? It seems impossible to get in touch with anyone.
Any help would be much appreciated, thanks
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so I'm not in the south of Italy, but I've been in Italy for long enough to get a feel for what can work career-wise. First off, Italy wouldn't be a destination which comes naturally to mind when you think of career EFL. It's quite badly paid compared to other countries, but once you get past the entry-level roles, there are some really interesting opportunities.

Some thoughts...

- quals aren't always prized. Great you have an MA TESOL / Dip, but language institutions often ask only for the minimum.

- On the other hand, teacher training might be a way to use your quals. What's happening in the south in terms of CLIL? (Here, in central Italy, there's quite a lot going on.)

- opening your own language school might be another option, though for all sorts of different reasons it might be a bit of a risk in the south. Or franchising?? Hard work, but it might pay off - especially if you concentrate on growth sectors like YL.

Some food for thought, perhaps!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: