Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Universiti Brunei Darussalam

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wailing_imam

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:42 am    Post subject: Universiti Brunei Darussalam Reply with quote

Hi,

This place is advertising a number of English teaching positions.

I heard bad things about it a few years ago.

Anyone got any recent updates?

Besides the salary, do they offer other benefits?

Is the uni in downtown BSB?

WI
timmytopee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:01 am    Post subject: UBD Reply with quote

I've recently heard that salaries are capped at $4,000 Brunei Dollars per month for those with a masters. I've also been told that housing is basically free, but I've also been warned off by the new implementation of Shariah Law. It could just be people are scared of something new, or it could really mean that the place is changing from a relaxed environment (Malaysia) to more of a religious one (Saudi Arabia)… more opinions welcomed because I also am looking at this place.

http://www.bt.com.bn/frontpage-news-national/2014/02/23/17-islamicwords-not-allowed-be-used-other-religions
wailing_imam

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The article mentions stoning to death. That would be unprecedented in SE Asia.

$4000 would be a bit on the low side unless other benefits are significant.
timmytopee

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: UBD Reply with quote

Yes, seems to be becoming a mini Saudi Arabia in SE without the lucrative pay packages… Sad hopefully, someone "in the know" will come along and contribute.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been to Saudi, but I was in Brunei briefly last year and, whilst it is a religious country, I found it pretty chilled and extremely friendly and welcoming Cool. I certainly wouldn't have thought it was comparable to KSA. There are no religious police, women drive, foreign women walk around without covering up, both genders have normal social interactions and foreigners don't live in compounds. Sure, there are no bars per se, but foreigners can easily and legally import alcohol.
timmytopee

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Yes… but Reply with quote

Yes, true BUT IF you had clicked on the link above and taken the time to read the news article from the Brunei Times Newspaper, you would have known that the implementation of Shariah Law doesn't take place until April of 2014. It is a new policy to be put in place by order of the Sultan… SO OF COURSE, you and no one else WOULD HAVE seen any similarity between Brunei and KSA LAST YEAR!!! If anyone currently living/working in Brunei could offer us anything useful, it would be great! From what I've heard/read is that "religious police" will be coming soon; while alcohol imports will cease for everyone!
wailing_imam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have lived in Saudi and visited Brunei. Both very different places, yet both clearly very Islamic. Anyway, I am not that bothered of sharia law is implemented, Malaysia is so close for weekend breaks.
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Yes… but Reply with quote

timmytopee wrote:
Yes, true BUT IF you had clicked on the link above and taken the time to read the news article from the Brunei Times Newspaper, you would have known that the implementation of Shariah Law doesn't take place until April of 2014. It is a new policy to be put in place by order of the Sultan… SO OF COURSE, you and no one else WOULD HAVE seen any similarity between Brunei and KSA LAST YEAR!!! If anyone currently living/working in Brunei could offer us anything useful, it would be great! From what I've heard/read is that "religious police" will be coming soon; while alcohol imports will cease for everyone!

Read it and I didn't see any mention of religious police. Nor any mention of foreigners in compounds. Nor any talk of women being unable to drive. Nor foreign women being required to dress in headscarves. It does, however, mention that foreigners drinking alcohol in a public place will be open to legal sanction. If you think they are going to go nuts in Brunei and emulate all the bone-headed, religious extremism that has made the KSA what it is then you are entitled to your opinion. However, I don't believe they will. There are many, many interpretations of Sharia.
Zoot

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Jobs advertised Reply with quote

Where are these positions advertised?
Dedicated

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of 22nd April 2014, the law in Brunei clearly states that the death penalty by stoning can be applied to those guilty of adultery and homosexuality.

If you check the university website it states there are currently no academic vacancies available.
zootalaws

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharia law doesn't apply to non-Muslims in Brunei.

I don't know where you got the $4000 limit from, my wife teaches nursery school and earns significantly more than that.

The couple of people I know that work at UBD think its ok. They get allocated housing, but have to arrange their own car, maid, etc. the housing varies with you 'status'. Some are very nice, but no-one has a pool Smile

Salaries range from $2000 per month for a local-hire assistant to more than $10,000 per month for a foreign professor.

There is also a significant bonus system.

Don't believe the website. Like all websites her, it is abysmally maintained. Best to ring if you are interested.

FWIW, I have been here more than 4 years and the introduction of Shariah law has been a complete fizzle. You literally can't tell anything has changed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: