Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cost of schooling kids?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong
View previous topic :: View next topic  
guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 2:45 am    Post subject: Cost of schooling kids? Reply with quote

Surprised How much does it cost to school kids in hk? Can kids go to local schools and what are they like?
Freddie_Unbelievable

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2003 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get out your check book guru because it's expensive. So expensive, in fact, that it is probably best to leave them at home with the neighbours.

If your a rich NET be ready to fork over a $1,000 US a month-minimum.

One idea might be to just send them to the park with a book and a Phillipina maid. Probably much cheaper and she can iron, too!
Roger

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My figures are not recent - somebody should update them, but try I can:
The ENGLISH SCHOOLS FOUNDATION used to cost (in 2000, last year of my sojourn in HK) some $47'000 a year, not counting transport (school bus or private car), food etc.
Other schools are rather more expensive, with one or two exceptions, one being a private school run in Discovery Bay on Lantau Island.
At such rates, you might consider enrolling your kids at a reputable school in the mainland (though there are very few that compare to ESF!0. I hear that private schools in the Guangzhou area charge around 30'000 to 40'000 RMB (but that's for full-board).
guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what do nets with kids do? i'm not a net yet but would like to become one. my kids are only primary school aged. what about local schools? the fees seem ridiculous. Twisted Evil
once again

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both posters are right in that schools that cater to english speaking studetns can be very expensive. From what I understand they can range from 35,000 to 75,000 HK per year at primary level. But Freddie is right in that if you get on to the NET scheme and have a reasonable amount of experience and qualify for the housing allowance it is possible that for only one month's salary you would be able to school your kid for a year. Many expats here that are not on expat packages do genuinly struggle with the fees. There is however one school I think, on one of the outlying islands that is a government school but due to demand does take in English speaking kids and hold classes in English. I am not totaly sure of this however, just remember reading something in the newspaper about it.
Someone I know has just enroled his kid at the Delia school of Canada, which is costing around 35,000 a year I think. It is not one of the best schools but one of the better priced ones. If you are really serious about it I suggest you contact NESTA who are an organisation set up to help NETS in HK, and they should be able to give you some good advice.
Joshua2006

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESF has gone up and will continue to do so now they are losing their government support.

KIS is 80,000 a year.

If you don't have a parent who speaks Chinese then good luck getting into a local EMI or CMI school.
sistercream

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having fun with the necroposting today, Joshua Wink ?

As for foreign kids going to local schools, the EDB has a number of schools specifically for non-Chinese speakers, and a few others which run dual-stream English/ Cantonese. For whatever reason, most of these seem to be in the New Territories/ on islands. I know a number of expat kids attending these.
Then there are the Direct Subsidy Scheme EMI schools: highly competitive entry, but non-racist - I've been surprised to see some of their classes in uniform, somewhere like St Paul's College has a higher proportion of caucasians than some of the "international" schools.
80daze

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am married to a Chinese lady and we have a young girl - we are currently teaching her English and Mandarin. We want to live in HK (or Taiwan) possibly next year or the year after - I take it from posts above that it would be best to teach her Cantonese rather than Mandarin.

If we teach her Cantonese could she get into a state school? or would we have to send her to a non -state school?

Thanks for any advice.
sistercream

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you end up in Taiwan, then Cantonese won't have been any use - except perhaps, for getting your child accustomed to 9 tones and unvoiced final consonants that also happen in Taiwan Minnanhua.

If your girl is already making a start on characters, then I'd use traditional rather than simplified, as they are what is used in both "outlying areas."

It's probably better to concentrate on Mandarin in any case as Cantonese is diglottal, and the written form is much closer to Mandarin than it is to spoken Canto (despite the increasing use of "slang" characters). There are also some government supported (DSS) schools here which use Mandarin/ English rather than Cantonese as medium of instruction.
GreatApe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with sistercream above, but am a bit dumbfounded as to how she maintained the patience to respond to such a generalized post.

Raise kids? ... live in a country? Want to move? Good Luck!

--GA
TeacherTim

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

80daze wrote:
Hi all,

I am married to a Chinese lady and we have a young girl - we are currently teaching her English and Mandarin. We want to live in HK (or Taiwan) possibly next year or the year after - I take it from posts above that it would be best to teach her Cantonese rather than Mandarin.

If we teach her Cantonese could she get into a state school? or would we have to send her to a non -state school?

Thanks for any advice.

No problem getting into a state school, it's the law! Smile

The problem is getting a good one. If your child cannot speak or perform well in Canto then they will be not progress at interview stage and end up having a local school imposed on them i.e one that can't recruit enough kids because of a whole host of likely problems.

In our case, we send our eldest to Sir Ellis Kadoorie Primary School, which has English as the medium of instruction and has a fairly good reputation as far as state schools go. It doesn't cost anything either, just books, uniforms and day trips as they occur.

Hope this helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Hong Kong All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: