Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where to Find movies with Chinese Subtitles
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcloo7

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Where to Find movies with Chinese Subtitles Reply with quote

I want to show the movie Wall Street in one of my classes. I can only find it on the net on the Youku, or Soku websites, and I have to pay to watch it there. I would consider paying since I had already started planning for the movie and now Im excited to do it, but I thought it was only 8 yuan at first, but I think its actually 40. I want to show the movie with Chinese subtitles. Does anybody know where to find it?
Bud Powell

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask a student to order it for you, or find out where the nearest DVD store is. Most western DVDs I've bought in China came with subtitles available in as many as a dozen subtitles.
mcloo7

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud Powell wrote:
Ask a student to order it for you, or find out where the nearest DVD store is. Most western DVDs I've bought in China came with subtitles available in as many as a dozen subtitles.

Do you mean order it on Taobao? That's a good idea.

On Youku or Soku it has subtitles, but Im trying to find a way to watch it for free. Ordering it on Taobao is a good idea though because at least I'd have the DVD.
Shroob

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to have film nights with my friends. They were mostly Chinese, you can download a film from the web then use www.shooter.cn for the subtitles.
mcloo7

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shroob wrote:
I used to have film nights with my friends. They were mostly Chinese, you can download a film from the web then use www.shooter.cn for the subtitles.

Can you tell me how that site works? Can I download the movie from that site?
Shroob

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcloo7 wrote:
Shroob wrote:

Can you tell me how that site works? Can I download the movie from that site?

Nah, that site's only for subtitles. You download a film, look at the file's name, then find the corresponding subtitle. Put the subtitle file in the same folder as the film and you're good to go. If you want to put it on a DVD there are a few programs you can use, but I forget what they are - it's been so long since I've done it.
mcloo7

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shroob wrote:

Nah, that site's only for subtitles. You download a film, look at the file's name, then find the corresponding subtitle. Put the subtitle file in the same folder as the film and you're good to go. If you want to put it on a DVD there are a few programs you can use, but I forget what they are - it's been so long since I've done it.

Thanks. How do I make sure that the film that I download and the subtitles will match precisely. You said look at the film's file name and find the corresponding subtitle; how do I do that? I already have the movie downloading, and I have a few Wall Streets pulled up on the subtitles site; how do I make sure they match?
Toast

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcloo7 wrote:
Shroob wrote:

Thanks. How do I make sure that the film that I download and the subtitles will match precisely. You said look at the film's file name and find the corresponding subtitle; how do I do that? I already have the movie downloading, and I have a few Wall Streets pulled up on the subtitles site; how do I make sure they match?

Download the torrent that corresponds with the file name for the subtitle - CM8, yify, AXXO etc. You want the subs that have the name CHS, not CHT to get the simplified Chinese rather than Traditional. Check the star rating and number of people that have downloaded the subtitle file you want. You want it rated 4~5 stars and have had at least 5 - 10 people vote.

As far as if the subs match...usually there will also be an English version. If the English version matches, and the star rating is good then likely the CHS version will be good also. Reconfirm with the first nerdy student who arrives in class if the subtitles make sense.

The file name of the subtitle should be the same file name as the movie file.

For example if the movie file is "Wall.Street.BRRIP" you'd name the subtitle file "Wall.Street.BRRIP.srt" Usually.

Alternatively if using VLC or other media players, POT, GOM etc. you can usually just either drag the subtitle file into the movie regardless of the name, or find the icon for "Play Subtitle". The media players in my class are all in Chinese, so I just do the renaming thing to avoid f@cking around in class.
mcloo7

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded the movie, and the subtitles, and have them synced together but they appear as empty boxes when playing in VLC, and they dont appear at all in Media Player. This is on my PC(Ive never installed anything for Chinese characters on my computer), and the classroom computer, which is all in Chinese. Does anyone know what to do? Im trying to download something from NJStar now.
choudoufu

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bro, i have no clue, but i would suggest:

load the additional software into your computer from the microsoft
service pack. asian language support, i believe.

try what you have on the classroom computer!!!!
GreatApe

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

choudofu wrote:
Quote:
bro, i have no clue, but i would suggest:

choudofu! ... are you saying, "You don't have an App for that?" Laughing

--GA
mcloo7

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It works now. I had to change a few settings in the 'Subtitle' section of the VLC player. It works in the classroom too.

Now for another question. Is it ok to show somewhat risque material in a Chinese college classroom? Wall Street is a pretty clean movie, but there is one scene with Bud Fox in a limo with a hooker. What do you think?
NoBillyNO

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Now for another question. Is it ok to show somewhat risque material in a Chinese college classroom?

Some years back when I showed movies I would just black out the scenes that were a bit "yellow" mainly due to other FT's who would try and find fault with any performance due to their desire to be able to run to the leaders for a little nose brown shineola....
Shroob

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcloo7 wrote:
It works now. I had to change a few settings in the 'Subtitle' section of the VLC player. It works in the classroom too.

Now for another question. Is it ok to show somewhat risque material in a Chinese college classroom? Wall Street is a pretty clean movie, but there is one scene with Bud Fox in a limo with a hooker. What do you think?

Is this an April Fool's joke?
mcloo7

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shroob wrote:
mcloo7 wrote:

Is this an April Fool's joke?

Why?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: