Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Tajikistan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JOloomi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:59 pm    Post subject: Teaching in Tajikistan Reply with quote

I am an American and will be holding a Bachelors Degree in education. I am looking to teach English in Tajikistan. Is there anyone who has experience teaching there on this forum? Also, what requirements do the schools have as far as Tefl/Tesol certification?
Darzin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I worked for a school in Tajikistan last year and thoroughly enjoyed it. In terms of requirements for a private language school or a government school there are none, as long as your a native speaker, and even Tajiks with no degree of any kind are hired if they speak English they're simply not enough foreigners who go there so they are desperate for teachers. An international school will probably require a degree and certificate though.

The people are very friendly because they don't see many foreigners. Expect be invited to peoples houses for tea often especially outside the capital. It helps if you know Russian or Tajik though, because few people speak English. The whole country is mountainous and beautiful and if you like hiking you'll love spring and summer there.

The schools will work you like a dog if you let them so set clear boundaries of how much time your willing to work. Also see if you can get your school to handle your visa, dealing with all the miniseries is a nightmare of post-soviet bureaucracy.

As for the schools these are the ones I know their probably more but these are the ones I have impressions of. If your from America, England or Europe any of these places will hire you in a second.

Bactria Center: The most professional of the schools but with a slightly lower salary than most. It's an NGO and does community and development work in addition to teaching English.

MBO Professional: Typical language school they pay better than Bactria but are more disorganized with frequent schedule changes. Foreigners always get paid on time.

Hamadon English: A new school with the highest salary of the ones listed and a very responsive administration regarding teachers needs. Has connections in the government to get you a visa easily. Foreign owned, the only problem is because they are so new they might not be able to give you all the hours you want.

Polyglot: Like MBO but with a worse administration and a somewhat spotty record of paying teachers, if your thinking if going here you'd be better off with one of the other schools.

Anyway I know people who work for all of these schools so if you want contact info PM me and I'll give you an e-mail address otherwise enjoy Tajikistan its a great country and way off the beaten track.
JOloomi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Thank You Reply with quote

Thank you so much for this information! I sent you a personal message! Smile
SlavicYoshi

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: These schools :) Reply with quote

I was wondering if there are any links to these schools you can supply. They can be sent in a pm if preferred. Smile This country also looks wonderful to me.

Thank you a lot!

Jonathan
Darzin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So a couple of people asked me for contact info for the schools and here is what I could scrounge up most of it is through Facebook because they use it to chat with there students and post events, I know it might seem unprofessional to message people on Facebook, but this is not southeast asia very few foreigners go to Tajikistan and they all want native speakers and foreigners desperately which doesn't mean you'll make alot most of these only pay $500 to $600 which is enough to live comfortably but you can't really save much.

Hamdon's Facebook is Hamadon English which they use and post regularly

https://www.facebook.com/people/Hamadon-English/100007579008399

The e-mail is [email protected] but I would message them on facebook because the e-mail seems like one just to create the account. EDIt: This e-mail is not correct see the post below for the correct e-mail

This is MBO's facebook page https://www.facebook.com/mbo.tj

and the e-mail for information and applications [email protected]

The website of Bactria http://www.bactriacc.com/

and the their E-mail [email protected]

So those are the contacts I have, if anyone has any questions or wants some more specific information just ask.

Last edited by Darzin on Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pashatodd

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the information,I appreciate it!
Darzin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2015 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A better e-mail for Hamdon is this [email protected] the other does not work sorry about that.
jmelville

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, am I the only one noticing all the grammatical mistakes in this thread?
Phillip Schofield

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmelville wrote:

I think you're the only one who cares. Perhaps you are grammatically infallible, but the rest of us often make mistakes. As a result, most of us don't feel the need to point out the mistakes of others.

I'm pretty sure Jesus said it best when he declared, "Let he who is without grammatical error cast the first internet judgement."

He was certainly ahead of his time when he said that.
water rat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phillip Schofield wrote:
jmelville wrote:

I think you're the only one who cares. Perhaps you are grammatically infallible, but the rest of us often make mistakes. As a result, most of us don't feel the need to point out the mistakes of others.

I'm pretty sure Jesus said it best when he declared, "Let he who is without grammatical error cast the first internet judgement."

He was certainly ahead of his time when he said that.
Right you are. Reminds me of this:

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/ba/9d/86/ba9d8653b148197f6b33999a290dcfcf.jpg
expatella_girl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmelville wrote:

One of our dearest and most long lived posters here in the Russia folder is /maruss/.

He eschews punctuation and capitalization at random intervals. His observations are very piquant nonetheless.

Some of the most besotted and betrayed English I have ever seen on the internet has come from ESL instructors. Who better to shoot the language through it's/its heart? Mr. Green
Phillip Schofield

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

expatella_girl wrote:
jmelville wrote:

One of our dearest and most long lived posters here in the Russia folder is /maruss/.

Maruss and punctuation are like two ships passing in a dense fog, during the night and several thousand miles apart. They never even remotely come close to connecting.

But that doesn't totally detract from the quality of his posts.
Deats

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In fairness the grammar in this thread is utterly dreadful. Usually it doesn't bother me, but I must confess to being pretty peeved at reading this. You would expect a 5 year old non-native speaker to know the difference.

It's baffling that supposed English teachers don't know the difference between:

they are and their
they're and there are
peoples and people's
your and you're
their and there are
there and their

No wonder kids in Tajikistan don't speak English very well Twisted Evil
maruss

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:51 pm    Post subject: bad speakers? Reply with quote

There are plenty of bad native speakers of English in the U.K. too!
Oh and thanks for the compliments by the way!!I am waiting for Nadya and Masha from *beep* Riot to let me know when the revolution there starts so I can come back again and visit you all!They have promised to keep me informed and of course the drinks will be on me!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: