Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moscow/St.Peter's salary and rent cost

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SiameseCat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject: Moscow/St.Peter's salary and rent cost Reply with quote

Hello everybody

I just saw the job ad , 1850us$ net/month - 132 ac.hrs/mo
with shared house/ housing allw.

the question are, is it enough to live in Moscow or St.P?

Is it fine for 2 people and one salary? ( I am Thai, will accompany my husband who is American teacher, i know we might do some side jobs but major would be his income)

Is it enough to pay some student loan since he is still working on his MA, and we will start paying off it.

I don't think we can stay in shared apt. because we are married couple ( school wouldnt want to pay i guess) so we might have to rent a place and take housing allowance

I know we would never expect too much about money, and I am surely we want to see Russia ,because its culture and beauty. But, I would have to think about if we would have enough to eat as well, so i come to ask before making any decision.

I have heard Moscow is super expensive, but for local may be it's lower than what it look like. Now we live in China, and also were in Shanghai,where is rated as one of a highest cost of living but if you live like local there then it's just - um, FINE LOL

anyway, thanks a lot for reading my bad English, and thank you in advance for anybody who answer, you guys are very kind. Smile

Cheers,

SC
Twisted Evil
Phillip Schofield

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a big point of contention amongst the forum users. "Is it enough to live on?"

Since I'm assuming that you wont be working (I'm also unsure if you can even legally live here) $1850 might be a bit tight, but it's probably doable.
This is actually a very good salary for a school if you include provided accommodation, so I am rather dubious as to its authenticity. Unless it's an international school, in which case, it's pretty bad.

If you want to get yourself a 1 room apartment, it would cost you anywhere from $350 to $1000 depending on the area and proximity to a metro stop.
A 2 room apartment will cost at least $850 per month.

Personally, I think that with a $1850 salary and a good bit of budgeting, the two of you could live here OK.
I just have my doubts concerning the job itself and the legality of your staying in Moscow. How will you obtain a visa? Sure, you could try and get a spousal visa, but I can't imagine any school going through the extra bureaucratic nonsense to do so.
Deats

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you and your husband are both working, I think you won't be able to move to Russia.

I am English and married to a Russian woman and the only way I can stay in Russia (legally) is to:

1) Have a job
2) Get a business visa and keep leaving the country and renewing it (very expensive and uncertain they will keep giving you a new one)
3) Get temporary residence - which I can get as my wife is Russian, but it's not available to you as your husband is American.

Russia is NOT like China. You can't just take a spouse. I lived and worked in China too, so know that you can just take a non-working spouse along. Russia is not so accommodating Sad

Spouse visas in Russia only apply to people married to Russians.

Sorry, but unless you BOTH get a job, I think it's going to be impossible (legally/financially) to come here.

At least that is my understanding.
SiameseCat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok Sad well, just turned down and heading somewhere else LOL

it seem the teaching loads too heavy (130++hrs/mo) while in China only 8hr/w and get 1800$/mo

so we keep looking for st else Smile

thanks a lot for reply

Razz
Phillip Schofield

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your husband had a good deal if he was earning $1800 for a 32 hour month.
He was lucky to find such a job. You certainly shouldn't expect such a good deal everywhere you go.

Good luck.
Deats

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nowhere in the world will pay this kind of salary.

There are some good deals in China, but for China your husband has the best deal I have heard of. 10000RMB for only 8hr a week? Wow. The best uni I know pays 9350rmb for 16hours a week. I know places in China paying 20000-30000 but require 40 hours+ a week.

If he is qualified there are jobs in S Korea paying $3000 for 12 hours a week in a uni (usually MA + uni experience of 2+ years) - but this is dubious. It's 12 teaching hours and a lot of office hours and extra work, probably leading to 35-40 hours a week. Also, you only get a small apartment, so for a couple it may not work, as if you get your own accommodation it's very expensive.

Even jobs in the Middle East won't pay a per hour salary that he is earning now. You can earn a lot more than $1800 a week, but he should expect to work a lot more! He can double his salary, but he'll have to quadruple his workload.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russia. Land of shock-workers. Pay can be great. But you have to actually do some work... Shocking : ))
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: