Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Berlitz, English Gate Academy, English Today Recruitment
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MidNightSun

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject: Berlitz, English Gate Academy, English Today Recruitment Reply with quote

I have been interviewing with all three of these outfits. Does anyone have previous knowledge of any of them? I know I came across a comment on the board once about Berlitz, but I can't find it for a re-read.

Are these recruiters reputable?

~A
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never heard of Berlitz screwing around with people. they seem to have a good reputation. Although I don't know about the pay, I don't know.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most recent Berlitz thread had been locked and apparently, has been deleted as well. Since you've already interviewed with them, keep in mind that listing Berlitz on your CV isn't likely to impress potential employers if you plan to "move up" in the TEFL world. As for the recruiter you mention, they're probably okay as far as recruiters go. It's more important that you get the names of the employers they're recruiting for.
MidNightSun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice Nomad and Plumpy.

I'm just considering Berlitz because it will allow me to work with adults, which I am lacking. I want to see a contract before I decide.

One of the recruiters is for Berlitz and they also recruit for PNU. I was told that Berlitz is better at fixing your visas and providing for extra benefits. From reading the different threads, I can't help but wonder...still I appreciate what Plumpy Nut has to say.

I'm really curious about EGA because their website makes it look like they are a separate operation with an independent school, but when I interviewed they were looking for teachers to place in vocational schools to work with first year students. Hmmm....

Again, thanks. I hope others will offer more info if they have had first hand experience with any of these!
MidNightSun
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
The most recent Berlitz thread had been locked and apparently, has been deleted as well.

I thought that was European Center, not Berlitz. Are they related?

VS
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MidNightSun wrote:
I'm really curious about EGA because their website makes it look like they are a separate operation with an independent school, but when I interviewed they were looking for teachers to place in vocational schools to work with first year students. Hmmm....

That's not unusual; the majority of Saudi companies hire teachers for "projects" at various institutes and universities throughout the country. It's major revenue for them.

veiledsentiments wrote:
nomad soul wrote:
The most recent Berlitz thread had been locked and apparently, has been deleted as well.

That, I don't know, VS. I only recall the thread where the OP posted about how happy he and his wife were at Berlitz.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
veiledsentiments wrote:
nomad soul wrote:

That, I don't know, VS. I only recall the thread where the OP posted about how happy he and his wife were at Berlitz.

Oh yes... the one where everyone piled on with their negative experiences and accused him of being management. It has been pretty much all negative for both of those employers over the years.

VS
Muhammed Abbas Khan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:40 pm    Post subject: Berlitz Reply with quote

Berlitz operates as a franchise and is of the 'McEnglish' variety. You might consider working for them on a freelance basis. However, coming in on their sponsorship is another matter altogether. That Berlitz is recruiting for other jobs is perhaps a recent phenomena. Which Berlitz centre are you referring to? As far as I am aware working for a McEnglish establishment usually entails working split shifts.
MidNightSun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been told anything about split shifts, so that's something I would need to look into. And it's supposed to be for the Berlitz in Al Hasa.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MidNightSun wrote:
I haven't been told anything about split shifts, so that's something I would need to look into. And it's supposed to be for the Berlitz in Al Hasa.

Unless you land a direct hire job with a Uni or some government entity, split shifts will be the norm at least at some point in your tenure in the KSA.
Mojoski

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember that thread about Berlitz referred to above. I searched it because they contacted me. I had inquired about Oman jobs the agency advertised, but I got an almost immediate contact (less than an hour) about the Saudi Berlitz job, acting like that was the one I had applied for. A bit of a red flag there. Since the thread was evidently dealt with by moderators, possibly the information was not correct, but I can tell you it really scared me away from the job. Hopefully, you'll be able to connect with someone who is there or has been there and get the real scoop.
Skeletor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

English Gat Academy is INTERLINK. Don't work for English Gate Academy, they treat you like slave labour.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mojoski wrote:
I had inquired about Oman jobs the agency advertised, but I got an almost immediate contact (less than an hour) about the Saudi Berlitz job, acting like that was the one I had applied for. A bit of a red flag there.

Not really a red flag. Your application just went to a regional office which is why the Saudi Berlitz noticed it.
MidNightSun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:18 am    Post subject: Mojoski response Reply with quote

Actually, I applied for a PNU position and was offered the Berlitz position instead. So yeah, that kind of made me stop and think. I do get the feeling that most of these recruiters are a bit shady. EGA led me to think they were really interested and even set up a second interview followed by an email saying their positions were filled. Seriously, the two emails were back to back.
I won't go wit Berlitz unless I can chat with someone working for them. McEnglish or not, it's experience.....
MidNightSun

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:52 am    Post subject: Beware of Interlink Reply with quote

I finally re-read the Beware of Interlink post and saw how many people were stating that Interlink and EGA as one and the same. I read the post once and then skipped it several times thinking Interlink was another company. Thank goodness for this board!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: