Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Five Year Rule
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamesD

Location: "As far as I'm concerned bacon comes from a magical happy place."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The five year tax rule outlined on that site seems to be a moot question as the tax situation regarding foreigners has changed. Apparently the new rules instituted last year mean expats are supposed to be in the China tax system anyway.

Then again.........what's the phrase?

As for the original question, I'm going on 18 years in-country. 8 with first company and 10 with the current one.
Babala

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just sent my resume out to a few schools. I'm thinking of making a change. I figured I would get job offers by most. I already received 2 emails stating that due to provincial regulations, they were unable to hire me because I have been in China for more than 5 years. These came from 2 different provinces, Henan and Shandong.
fat_chris

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Babala wrote:
I just sent my resume out to a few schools. I'm thinking of making a change. I figured I would get job offers by most. I already received 2 emails stating that due to provincial regulations, they were unable to hire me because I have been in China for more than 5 years. These came from 2 different provinces, Henan and Shandong.

Oh!

Isn't Shandong one of the provinces that more strictly adheres to the five-year rule? Henan too? Oh dear.

Hmm…let's see if fat_chris stays in China more than five years. Next year would be year three in this current stint. Sichuan is another strict(er) adherent to the five-year rule I do believe.

Ah, these Commies and their five-year rules, plans, etc.

Warm regards,
fat_chris
wonderingjoesmith

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makes no sense. What happened to appreciating the experience?
Babala

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need two years work experience but you had better not have more than five years Rolling Eyes

I guess China wants teachers who have been here between two and five years Shocked
Mikeylikesit114

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:41 am    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

I thought I'd update you all on my current situation. My company was able to obtain a work permit for me in another city, and yesterday I completed my residence permit interview. Should receive my passport back within two weeks.
Babala

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be careful. I knew some teachers who almost got deported for that. The school had to pay a huge bribe to get them out of that.
choudoufu

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Update Reply with quote

Mikeylikesit114 wrote:
My company was able to obtain a work permit for me in another city

that sounds perfectly legal.

dangit! where's the sarcasm emoticon?

so mikey, have you wondered just WHY they can't get you a work permit
in your city?
RWA1981

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Five Year Rule Reply with quote

Mikeylikesit114 wrote:
My employer just yesterday informed me that beginning this year, all foreign experts in Qingdao that have been in China for 5 years or more will not have their visas renewed. They must return to their country of origin for two years before returning to China.

This law is selectively applied in some Chinese cities.

According to the CFTU 2013 Foreign Teachers Guidebook (page 119) you can legally avoid repatriation by relocating to another province for six months and if you want to return to Qingdao, I suggest you take the extra precaution of registering at a different cop shop. Also If you registered as "Robert Johnson" the first time, use your middle name on your second registration such as "R. Lawrence Johnson". I know an old guy there who has been teaching in Qingdao for almost 12 years and he never left other that to take a holiday in Singapore or Thailand.
choudoufu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Five Year Rule Reply with quote

RWA1981 wrote:
spam

hello there CFTU.Admin!
fat_chris

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Five Year Rule Reply with quote

choudoufu wrote:
RWA1981 wrote:
spam

hello there CFTU.Admin!

The Sequel: The Return of The Onion, part II!

Now showing in theaters near you!

Warm regards,
fat_chris
KHS

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject: 5-year rule Reply with quote

For the person who asked about other resources related to the five-year rule, at:
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/TEFLChinaJob/info

Currently, and also back in May 2013 (you can click on the appropriate month at the bottom of the "info" page), there have been discussions about the five-year rule.

The archives are open-acces, but like this forum, you need to join to post questions or comments.
davelister

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the '5 year rule' apply to those married to a Chinese?
KHS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

davelister wrote:

From some of the responses (from other people) on the TEFLChinaJob list (mentioned previously) it appears that it applies. There was a list member who, in fact, found himself in exactly that position - he hadn't applied for a different residency status (based on his marriage), and his school told him that he had reached the five year limit. I'm not sure what happened next.
wangdaning

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KHS wrote:
davelister wrote:

From some of the responses (from other people) on the TEFLChinaJob list (mentioned previously) it appears that it applies. There was a list member who, in fact, found himself in exactly that position - he hadn't applied for a different residency status (based on his marriage), and his school told him that he had reached the five year limit. I'm not sure what happened next.

If you are married they will not kick you out, as you can change status based on marriage, but they can deny you a residence permit for work purposes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: