Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Berlitz Poland
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BocaNY

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: Berlitz Poland Reply with quote

Does anyone have any experience working with them? Any information would be helpful. Their starting pay seemed pretty low (18pln) Also what is the starting wage in Poland? How much is needed to live (pay rent+) and do some socializing maybe even save a little?

Thanks for the help.

Question Question
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much all Berlitz locations (like the other 'method' schools) pay at the low(est) end of the local scale wherever they are. This is ostensibly for two reasons: little to no prep required and they hire teachers without certification, because they are going to train you in their (antique) method anyway.
They can be reasonable as an 'in' somewhere, but experience at a Berlitz or other method school won't be especially attractive to other employers, who by definition don't employ the same method/s.
sparks

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I interviewed with them in Warsaw once, just to see...

The offer was something like 28 PLN for 45 min. BEFORE tax. 45 PLN for 45 minutes if you have your own company.

I try not to complain about the wages in Poland, and we really do live quite alright.

Honestly what they offer is NOT a living wage. It is a horrible joke. I can't imagine why anyone works for them. I really wish everyone would boycott that place. It's pathetic.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now they are apparently offering just 18?Smile
BocaNY

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

28pln was the max you could make per 40min class in your second year. 18pln to start then to 21pln after 3months then to 23 after six months finally 28 after the 1 year.

It sounded low to me. I worked at a language school and it paid more then actually schools expect university. This blows I want/need a job and now doesn't seem to be the time to find work unless it's a language school.

Any ideas what countries to look ...not china, japan, or korea.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wrong time of year for this continent where most contracts are Sept/oct thru June and there is little summer work.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boca, are you interested in working with kids?

I'm in the process of starting the recruitment process for a new teacher - I don't have the job description prepared yet, but we'll offer accommodation/work permit/usual stuff.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:13 am    Post subject: ha Reply with quote

Yet another horror story.
sparks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must have blocked out the 18 zl figure. It makes me angry to think that this place is still in business, is a global business in fact. They have posters and things on walls there with a list of all of the famous people who have worked there over the years, James Joyce and other famous writers. I wish that one of them would have mentioned what rats they are Smile

I could also get you an interview here in Warsaw if you PM me. They will also get you a work visa and residency card if you need one.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: ha Reply with quote

The thing is 18Zl/hour seems infinitely preferable to where I am right now Smile
BocaNY

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks delphian-domine and sparks for offering to help. I pm-ed you both.

I figured it was the wrong time of year but I was hoping to maybe pick up a vacancy left by a non returning teacher somewhere or a summer camp. If i wasn't so bored not working i would just hold out til the end of summer. :p
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparks wrote:
I must have blocked out the 18 zl figure. It makes me angry to think that this place is still in business, is a global business in fact. They have posters and things on walls there with a list of all of the famous people who have worked there over the years, James Joyce and other famous writers. I wish that one of them would have mentioned what rats they are Smile

The thing is that if they're still in business, they must be doing something right. Wages might be pathetic, but bear in mind that it's a 'method' school that is willing to employ almost anyone. I also suspect that they don't value native speakers at all, which is why the offer seems low - it's clearly aimed at nNEST graduates.

And they also have to pay for those lovely schools in lovely locations...
Master Shake

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The range of wages tefl teachers get always amazes me: from 18zl/hr to well over 100zl/hr - all in the same country for what essentially is the same service.

I've always considered 60zl/hour net to be the gold standard in Warsaw for a qualified native speaker. Anything less, and you're selling yourself short.
BocaNY

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is amazing but I guess the lower end jobs target new comers and ones without some sort of cert. Sucks because if I get desperate enough I might actually consider it. I am almost done with my masters in TESOL but the last 3 classes I have to take require me to be teaching. If I can get work soon then I'll be done with it by summer.
dexterity

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to Speed School in Wroclaw if you have the ability to do so. The school is "Native Speakers" only (the only Polish staff are the admins), they are willing to train you (with lesson observations) and they have an immediate vacancy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: