Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

International School policy?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Demigod

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: International School policy? Reply with quote

Any news about Highscope International School in Jakarta?

A few of my friends are trying to convince me to join them, but

I have read their contracts and a few things raised flags.

1. The school will hold your degree, while employed

2. 1 month training without housing assistance or allowance

If this is the norm, then please forgive me
Atoms for Peace

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: International School policy? Reply with quote

Demigod wrote:
1. The school will hold your degree, while employed

The school will actually hold your original degree certificate?! This is even worse than the old trick of holding on to a teacher's passport to stop him or her breaking contract and leaving the country. Again, just to make sure, they will actually keep hold of your original certificate?! These things are harder to replace than passports if they are lost. And what if it gets bent or crumpled or torn? It's a huge risk to take... So when would they give your degree certificate back? After you finish your contract? In which case how do you apply for another job? Employees often ask to see the original because of the large number of fakes in circulation, so you might have problems if you can't produce it because it is in your current employer's safe until your contract ends.
Tazz

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How times have changed.....when I worked there over 4 years ago-none of my expat co-workers even possessed degrees, and the HRD department of the school never raised the issue of taking control of mine. I suppose since their accreditation and the tightening of regulations during the past couple of years they are playing it ultra-cautious now.....I enjoyed my time there-[3 years teaching middle school] but it was chaotic at times! The housing is one issue- the main Cilandak branch, where I worked, and I believe the others-Kelapa Gading, Bintaro etc didn't pay a housing allowance for the year upfront-meaning that a couple people I know were restricted to staying in a kost-since the substantial payment for a house/ apartment for the year was in effect beyond them. Ok if you are single- but a kost certainly isn't a place to house a family....
likwid_777

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Say to your uni that yours is lost, and get a replacement. Pay the money if necessary. There, you have a spare original that can be left behind in any dire situation.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: