Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EdEx update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bootita

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks fledex!!!!!
bootita

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fledex, do your friends still get paid? and is it the amount stipulated in the contract? do they still have proper housing??

gracias
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bootita wrote:
and yes, i will make a separate post for PNU

Also nomad soul, are you saying i should be researching PNU instead of edex because I wont be dealing with edex once i arrive there??

You're missing my point. I also suspect you haven't done much research on ultra-conservative Saudi Arabia.

Be aware that unrelated women and men are not permitted to "mix"---it's the law in the Kingdom. So even though others in this thread have painted a picture of what it's like to work for EdEx, it's from the perspective of men working and living in a male-only environment. Obviously, they can't tell you about what it's like to work at PNU (a women's university) for EdEx because they're men. As a woman, your experiences, your salary, benefits, work environment, accommodation, transportation situation, freedoms, etc., will be different from theirs---more in some ways, less in others. This is why I've suggested (again) that your focus be on PNU and EdEx---what the living/work situation is for women at PNU who are employed by EdEx. Otherwise, you'll continue to get irrelevant responses---spinning your wheels by asking for details about the "Bobs" at EdEx.

Last edited by nomad soul on Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
SENTINEL33

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bootita wrote:
i hear you all. it sounds pretty bad....so what makes you stay or come back?? must be bearable enough, right????

It's "bearable" in the sense that a prolonged stay in prison or the military is bearable. In a sense, you become addicted to it. Like cigarettes and other addictions, you keep doing it over and over again even though you know it's killing you.

"Recidivism", or the strong tendency to return to a place or to repeat a behavior in which you received cruel and unusual punishment, is a well-known and attested condition of certain elements of society that have experienced such "unbearable" situations. Such recidivist tendencies are quite evident among ESL teachers particularly in the Gulf area if you know how to spot them.

If you believe that "you can't go home again", a sojourn in KSA will confirm that to you in spades. The secret is to escape while you can. Many can't.

Of course, as Nomad Soul has pointed out, I'm referring to what can happen to men......I doubt women react in the same way.
fledex

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bootita wrote:
fledex, do your friends still get paid? and is it the amount stipulated in the contract? do they still have proper housing??

gracias

Haven't heard anything negative about the pay in the past couple years. I don't think Edex has ever had what I would call proper housing. Last I heard, they were still using lousy apartments and residence hotels, as well as moving teachers around on a whim. For me, the only proper housing in KSA (and I think especially for women) is a compound where you can enjoy the gym, game rooms, a store with western groceries, dinner by the pool, and wear normal western clothes (including shorts). Housing should be well protected.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fledex wrote:
For me, the only proper housing in KSA (and I think especially for women) is a compound where you can enjoy the gym, game rooms, a store with western groceries, dinner by the pool, and wear normal western clothes (including shorts). Housing should be well protected.

Sadly, this isn't the norm for the majority of TEFLers.

VS
fledex

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True VS, but I'd like to see more TEFLers demand it before coming to KSA. Places like Edex bank on one setting for less, much, much less.
ChloeJoe

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Icanupp, I'm sorry but the specific things you posted don't sound awful enough to scare someone away who is truly willing to be patient and just deal with a scary-new culture.

At my university in Europe, I also racked up quite a few annoyances:

The one printer for the department was in the secretary's office, and she decided mid-semester to severely limit our access to it. And yeah, the office was always locked when she was home or on a smoke break.

The department head and her assistant once hauled me out of a class I was teaching to yell at me for not yet voting in the faculty elections.

The department head told me I could leave for the year on such-and-such date, then retracted her words a week before I was to leave.

I had to take a native speaker with me to the local police office twice to beg them to renew my visa.

English department meetings were only held in the native language, not English.

Technology frequently broke down in class and the only IT guy spoke no English.

2 days before my first class started, the department told me they were changing the class I was to teach.

People used to get so close to me in queues that they could have rested their chins on my shoulder.

I was once slugged (like really violently backhanded) by a Roma woman on a city tram.

I could go on.

I chose to work hard to overcome obstacles and to try to find everything funny, if possible. I'm sure you've done the same. I just think Bootita's questions come from the honest curiosity concerning what levels of craziness she might encounter. One person's 'It was awful!!!' is always another person's 'I survived, and learned from it. It's doable.'

To me, there's a big difference between the above and being thrown in jail for having the wrong visa or being given half the money that was promised.

And by the way, I dealt with the above on about $800 a month. I could take much more for more money-hahaha.

Just my two cents'.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup... you're all ready for the Middle East. But at least, there will be plenty of English speakers about for most of what you need to do. Cool

All fodder for the novels one could/should/might write in retirement...

VS
lcanupp1964

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My goal is never to scare anyone, but to give information (in my own twisted way) and explain events that may help someone make a more informed decision. Smile
babur

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Americans in Europe Reply with quote

Quote:
At my university in Europe, I also racked up quite a few annoyances:

I had to take a native speaker with me to the local police office twice to beg them to renew my visa.

English department meetings were only held in the native language, not English.

If you're American, NEVER come to any European country where you don't speak the language. Teachers from the UK are MUCH more expensive to hire. If you're willing to work in Europe for $800, they know you're here because you've fallen for it and badly NEED a job.
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Europeans are HORRID.

I quote "English department meetings were only held in the native language, not English. "

They should be like us and speak Murkan !
ChloeJoe

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Babur, I actually got the job straight from my BA because of a professor at my BA school being friends with the department head of the university where I taught. It was an anomaly, and I was lucky due to the few quals I had. The two years I was there, I felt very fortunate b/c I was doing just as well as my friends (some Brits) who worked at private language schools. At least in that location, it was more type of job than nationality.

Are we getting off topic though?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChloeJoe wrote:
Are we getting off topic though?

Of course Laughing it's all too common. (I please guilty too)

Personally, I don't think it is outrageous to think that an English Department meeting would be... in English. Especially if they are hiring native speakers... Perhaps if you were the only native speaker... But, if a place hires a few non-nationals, meetings should probably be in a language spoken by all. From a management standpoint that would make sense.

But... we do digress... this problem wouldn't happen in the Gulf.

VS
Keyboard Kommando

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend (who lives in Saudi, but left EdEx) claims that because of Saudi-ization, things at EdEx are worse than ever and many teachers are looking to escape. Brit Muslims seem to have the easiest time at the KSU PYP from what I've heard lately.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: