Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Holidays: What's the norm?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
radient one

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:57 pm    Post subject: Holidays: What's the norm? Reply with quote

I am working for Interlink / EGA and we are now into Week 5 of a 21 week stretch with no breaks / holidays. A friend, working for another company, is getting a week's break from 20/03/2014, Week 8. I am interested to know how others in the Kingdom fare regarding breaks as I feel 21 weeks is way too long for students and teachers without one. Feedback would be appreciated, thank you.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saudi holidays are sparse except at the two major eids. But as you've found, work schedules can vary from employer to employer, especially for employees of private companies. If you're working for one of the many contracting companies, a portion of your pay goes to the company's pocket. Thus, the more you work hours you put in, the more money the company makes. This is more telling when you see that universities give (direct-hire) teachers 60 days off for the summer, while those employed by contracting companies typically get just 30---or 45, if they're lucky.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At Unis like KFUPM, 60 days in the summer plus break in middle of semester plus Eid holidays ! Enjioy !
sicklyman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aramco contracted teachers get 2 weeks paid leave every 4 months including flights i.e. 42 days a year. This can be added to with up to 15 more days of unpaid leave which can usually be added on to these leave periods. This is on top of the Saudi national holidays.

When teachers get leave is dependent on when they started working so leave schedules are entirely personal. There is a two month window within which a teacher can take their 2 week leave period so there's a lot of flexibility in this system.

There are also non teaching days when teachers will be doing other stuff and the office is considerably more relaxed. For example, the last week of March this year is a non-teaching week and August every year sees certain departments with a much reduced teaching load. Aramco holidays are also scattered throughout the calendar and while contracted teachers have to report to work on these days, they don't tend to have a huge workload!

2 months in the summer is a nice break. However, talking to university teachers who get long summer holidays has flagged two issues that come with them which you'd be wise to consider unless you want a blessing to become a curse:
    residing in your home country for long periods can make you liable for tax. Count your days carefully!
    living or travelling in the west for two months at a time can be expensive unless you have your own dwelling to retreat to... but that might make you liable for tax too!
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear sickleyman,

"2 months in the summer is a nice break. However, talking to university teachers who get long summer holidays has flagged two issues that come with them which you'd be wise to consider unless you want a blessing to become a curse:

residing in your home country for long periods can make you liable for tax. Count your days carefully!"

Once bona fide residence has been established, doesn't physical presence become irrelevant?

"Bona fide resident test (you've lived in a foreign country for over a year, made it your home, and (generally) pay taxes there. There are no specific time restrictions; for instance, it is possible to be away from your foreign residence for months and still meet the test)."

Regards,
John
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is only the rule for us Americans, and Canadians/British/etc need to understand their own home tax rules.

VS
sicklyman

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, VS is right John, hence my use of modal verbs Wink
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear sickleyman,

Do you happen to know (not for me but for any UK or Canadian teachers) what the situation regarding establishing residency and physical presence is?

Regards,
John
sicklyman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for Canadians I cannot speak. For UK citizens the rules changed last year and have become relatively complicated. Each individual will have to read the paperwork online to be sure of their specific situation... especially if they have a dwelling in the UK and/or a spouse.
cultofpersonality

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the UK it is something like an average of 90 days over 4 years you need to spend in the UK to not be liable for tax. I could be wrong, but it's something to this effect.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/incometax/tax-arrive-uk.htm

As for holidays...avoid working in the centres. I know Al Khaleej and Interlink have them and they are under no real obligation to give you a holiday until the last month of your contract. When I started working for Al Khaleej, they put me in a Direct English language centre working split shifts. I didn't go on holiday till after seven months. My other colleague didn't go on holiday till after nine months. It's business season in these centres and your availability as the token native teacher is a necessity.
radient one

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:17 pm    Post subject: Thanks everyone Reply with quote

Smile I appreciate all the feedback, thanks for your time and trouble.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: