Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Non-native speakers at UK summer centres
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billbob

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Non-native speakers at UK summer centres Reply with quote

Over the past few summers I've worked alongside 3 Czech, 1 Hungarian and 1 Bulgarian teacher. In my opinion, any student should be delighted to be taught by any of these (apart from one of the Czechs) great colleagues of mine.

The reaction of some of the group leaders was rather different, however. "How come we come to Britain for an English course and my students don't have a British teacher?"

What does the Dave's Cafe community think about this?

Is it important to staff such centres exclusively with natives? I know that most of these non-natives were better teachers than a few of the natives I've worked with, but those summer schools are strictly commercial ventures, aren't they, so students probably see having a native-born teacher as part of the experience of the package they're buying.

As commercial ventures, do these centres shoot themselves in the foot by perhaps not meeting the students', or more often, their parents' expectations? I've heard that one summer centre recruits 80% of its teachers from Poland, for example.

Is it fair of the students/customers to demand a native-speaker teacher on such courses?
MsBlackcurrant

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting. I suppose that with so many East Europeans now working in London and parts of southern England it's inevitable that some will be teaching English. I once taught on a summer course where a German lady was employed to teach the elementary classes. Apparently she was very popular with her students, who were young adults. I've come across a couple of other non-native speakers who were training or starting to work in EFL but I don't know how they got on.

I can understand that some group leaders might be a bit grumpy about it, since they could just as well find a very good non-native EFL teacher at home. But the point of studying in the UK isn't just about the classroom, but about the whole environment. English is all around you. And non-native speakers will be a prominent part of that environment in any medium-sized or large British city.
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the vast majority of students spending the money to travel to the UK (or one of the other countries where English is L1) to learn English would reasonably expect to be taught by native speakers. Attending a program in a country where English is NOT the native language is another matter--more students may find a non-native speaker perfectly acceptable. But if I traveled to Germany to study German, I would not be happy with a Bulgarian, American, or Spanish (for example) teacher, no matter how well qualified. Ditto if I traveled to Japan to learn Japanese. I suspect students of English would probably see it the same way.

artemisia

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this issue has come up before. It�s an interesting, ongoing topic because many non native English teachers do work in Britain during the European summer hols. I worked with two non native East European English language teachers in the UK. Both were excellent and their spoken English was of an enviably high standard. With one teacher, I�m not sure if her students knew she wasn�t from an English speaking country. With the other, his students didn�t know initially, but found out. Neither teacher had any problems that I�m aware of and both enjoyed a very good rapport with their classes.

MsBlackcurrant and Xin Lin point out two opposing views, both of which I think are quite accurate.
MsBlackcurrant wrote:
And non-native speakers will be a prominent part of that environment in any medium-sized or large British city.
Very much the case, and you see (or I saw) increasing numbers of East Europeans kids enrolled in high schools as well. Usually they�re easy to pick out as they�re much better behaved! Eventually, the kids you see enrolled in schools, and who are from East European families, will be UK-born and classed as native speakers. London probably has the highest proportion of non native speakers.

Xie Lin wrote:
But if I traveled to Germany to study German, I would not be happy with a Bulgarian, American, or Spanish (for example) teacher, no matter how well qualified. Ditto if I traveled to Japan to learn Japanese. I suspect students of English would probably see it the same way.
I think I�d feel the same way. When I moved to the UK, I tried to continue language classes in one way or another. It was hopeless as there was either nothing near me or what there was was inadequate. I tried out one class taken by a German teacher and she conducted most of it in English. The higher level class was taken by a British teacher who spoke German with a noticeable accent. If she�d really spoken the language as a German would, I�d have gone with that. But that�s a bit different from specifically visiting a country with language learning in mind. In fact, the non native teacher might be the better teacher, but without personal recommendations, people tend to go for the native speaker. I wonder if (would-be) language students who aren't teachers themselves are more open to having a highly competent non native speaker teacher?

Last edited by artemisia on Sun May 26, 2013 2:45 am; edited 1 time in total
MsBlackcurrant

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I once attended a postgrad conference in London for research students in modern languages, and we were told it wasn't unknown for French departments at British universities to hire Germans to teach French. I get the impression that Germans are hired to teach all sorts of things at British universities, including English literature. Most of their students are British, of course, although increasing numbers of students now come from overseas.

When it comes to such advanced linguistic skills I suppose it hardly matters. The reality is that the English language no longer belongs to native speakers of English, which means that increasing numbers of highly proficient English teachers will come from elsewhere. The downside for native speakers is that they'll lose their special aura, and will eventually face much more competition for jobs!! That's globalisation for you; it's both a friend and an enemy!
artemisia

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MsBlackcurrant wrote:
The reality is that the English language no longer belongs to native speakers of English, which means that increasing numbers of highly proficient English teachers will come from elsewhere.

My thoughts too, but to what extent this applies to other English speaking countries, I'm not sure. The UK is wide open to travelling teachers (and other workers) from the rest of the EU. Even in the UK, I'd say employment of non native teachers is more limited to London and perhaps a few other cities. It's probably also a reflection of the low wages on offer and the refusal of native teachers to accept them. Not sure low salaries would apply to teaching literature etc., though.

Anyway, to what extent the impact of "increasing numbers of highly proficient English teachers" has on foreign language students' attitudes to having non native speaking teachers, when they're seeking short or long term English instruction in the UK, is hard to say.
billbob

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing your ideas, everyone.

MsBlackcurrant wrote:
But the point of studying in the UK isn't just about the classroom, but about the whole environment. English is all around you. And non-native speakers will be a prominent part of that environment in any medium-sized or large British city.

I think Ms Blackcurrant has a very good point here for adult learners who might attend summer courses because they intend to, or are already, study or live in the UK for some time.

The grumpy group leaders in question were on summer schools for young learners. Would kids/teenagers and their parents make more demands for native speaker teachers born and raised in Britain than those in the above paragraph?
Wilsonthefarmer

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billbob wrote:
Would kids/teenagers and their parents make more demands for native speaker teachers born and raised in Britain than those in the above paragraph?

Well, I would not want my son to learn English with a Polish or Pakistani accent. In the primary and secondary schools in UK, the problem does not exist, as the majority of English teachers are native speakers born and raised in UK.
billbob

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input, Wilson, but can I underline that I started this thread purely in reference to summer centres? The kind of 'lessons in the morning, sports in the afternoon, excursions to places of interest kind of thing.

These learning environments are far removed from the UK mainstrem school system, pre-university courses, mainstream academia, etc. Might it be true that such courses belong more to the travel and tourism industry than that of private education services?
artemisia

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billbob wrote:
..I started this thread purely in reference to summer centres? The kind of 'lessons in the morning, sports in the afternoon, excursions to places of interest kind of thing.

These learning environments are far removed from the UK mainstrem school system, pre-university courses, mainstream academia, etc. Might it be true that such courses belong more to the travel and tourism industry than that of private education services?

IMO if you look at the situation of summer centres purely from the point of view of being similar to a tourism package, then it probably does make more sense to push for 'an authentic British' experience as part of the 'package deal'. Perhaps it comes down to not just who is a native English speaker, but who can be accepted within the community as being British? This quote suggests this:
billbob wrote:
The reaction of some of the group leaders was rather different, however. "How come we come to Britain for an English course and my students don't have a British teacher?"

Some foreign teachers may now be based in the UK and not just travel for work in summer, though I imagine most do. The UK has a high cost of living so it'd be surprising if they chose to be there all year round for the teaching alone. Anyway, are the overall numbers of non native speaker or non British teachers on summer camps really that high? I don't have facts and figures on that.
billbob

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="artemisia"] Perhaps it comes down to not just who is a native English speaker, but who can be accepted within the community as being British? quote]
Good point. I wonder if some more finicky students might insist on not just a native speaker, but someone from the country where the school is, maybe even a strict RP speaker?

I have no idea of the industry-wide breakdown of natives to non natives at summer schools. When i worked for St Bede's it was purely native, at IH I would say non-natives represented 10-20% of the teaching staff. I have heard from a colleague, however, that one of the Bell schools near Oxford or Cambridge recruits 80% of its teaching staff from Poland.

Are summer centres for the under-18s teaching institutions or package holidays? I still can't make up my mind on this one;)
GriffinParka

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C'mon, let's stop kidding ourselves here. The bottom line is ... the bottom line.

Non-native teachers are CHEAPER than true Brits, and also LESS HASSLE as they are not aware of their employment rights, or at least less inclined to make waves. This is why shoddy outfits prefer to employ them.

If they really thought that they make better teachers, with their funny accents and lack of understanding of colloquial English, then they would market them as a USP.

Can you imagine it?! "Come to sunny England this summer and be taught by a bunch of Bulgarian / Polish / Hungarian chancers!"
billbob

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without getting distracted by asking how many language institutions in the UK can be seen as shoddy (looks like quite a lot of them!), Griffinparker reminded me of something artemisia brought up:

"It's probably also a reflection of the low wages on offer and the refusal of native teachers to accept them."

Have wages always been 'low' at summer schools, and if so, did they suffer a dearth of teachers as natives refused to work for this money, a dearth which was only reversed upon EU enlargement in '04?

Or, did the wider pool of teachers created by EU enlargement mean employers could lower wages?

If natives refuse to accept said lower wages, what are they doing with their time instead? Remember, we're only talking about summer centres here, so anyone who teaches there must either willingly or unwillingly have a couple of months to spare in the summer and, presumably, be gainfully employed somewhere else for the rest of the year.
Sublime

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xie Lin wrote:
I think the vast majority of students spending the money to travel to the UK (or one of the other countries where English is L1) to learn English would reasonably expect to be taught by native speakers. Attending a program in a country where English is NOT the native language is another matter--more students may find a non-native speaker perfectly acceptable. But if I traveled to Germany to study German, I would not be happy with a Bulgarian, American, or Spanish (for example) teacher, no matter how well qualified. Ditto if I traveled to Japan to learn Japanese. I suspect students of English would probably see it the same way.

It's a *****! for some people. But some people are crazy for native speakers no matter what. Me likey of course, because as a native speaker it affords me the opportunity to travel and pretty much pick up a teaching job anywhere. Also it makes it easier to meet people abroad - as so many people are learning English they are generally interested in going out with (though unfortunately not always dating) native English speakers.

I agree with Xie. I even do this here in Spain - a lot of people that wanted to do a language exchange Spanish-English have been from countries like Italy, France and Romania etc. and even though I'm almost certain their level of Spanish was pretty damned good - I just met the native Spanish speakers. Cos..........well, they're natives and everybody is loco for the natives Razz
artemisia

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With language exchanges between two people, I imagine most would choose a native speaker for that.

MsBlackcurrant wrote:
But the point of studying in the UK isn't just about the classroom, but about the whole environment. English is all around you.

The idea of immersion in language outside the classroom, when in a foreign country, is an interesting one. Spanish (Castilian) is the main official language of Spain, and I think everyone or at least a high percentage of the population, speaks it. I think Basque has official status too. In Barcelona, you may well find yourself immersed in Catalan on the streets. These are separate languages, but other countries can have distinct dialects with words, expressions and accents that are totally different from the official language. In Germany, you would expect to learn Hochdeutsch no matter where your language class is held. It may not be what you always hear in the street (except perhaps in Hannover), but everyone knows it.

When I�ve asked adults who have talked about language learning in England (but have never been there) what they would see as different to doing so in other English speaking countries, they seem to have some idealised spoken form in mind: RP, I suppose. They imagine themselves immersed in this. Hmmm. Mind you, when faced with various regional twangs elsewhere (some certainly stronger than others), I can understand this wish.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: