Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visa Watch
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teacher X

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GF wrote:
You're welcome. From what I read last week, about 40 teachers at Atlantic (the entire foreign element on staff) were suddenly told by the authorities that they had to leave Russia and renew their visas. Once they were out of the country and trying to renew, they were all told they had 5-year bans on re-entering Russia. No explanation was given.

They were made to leave because none of them had proper visas. They were all doing the 6 month visa run. Atlantic wasn't providing them with any legitimate documentation and everything was done under the table (cash in hand, etc.) Basically, they were working illegally.

5 Year bans are typical for people who don't have proper visas. I know of a couple who came to Moscow without a visa (they thought that the Schengen visa would suffice. Idiots) and they were put straight back on a plane and given a 5 year ban.

The authorities are cracking down on this now, probably due to tax avoidance. A school I teach for on the weekend is having similar issues and now need to start doing things legitimately and actually tax wages.
GF

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Teacher X - I suspected that was the issue. I worked for many schools in Moscow in my time and very few employed me legally.

@Foma 87 - It doesn't take much stretch of the imagination to work out that if the situation gets worse between Russia and the West, more of these things will happen. The laws are already there and Russia just might take great interest in suddenly enforcing them stictly and across the board.
Foma87

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible the authorities are cracking down, I'm just not sure Atlantic is evidence of this. After all, If they did have a staff of over 40 foreign teachers and they were all on business visas, with the amount of money involved, I'm not surprised flags were raised. It should also be noted many Russian schools' Russian staff are paid under the table as well
I had a cop come to my apartment a couple months ago to inquire whether I was renting or not (probably for tax reasons). Maybe something is up. But again, I doubt it's Crimea-related.
GF

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a visit from a pair of local cops shortly after I moved to Moscow. It came out later that one of my lovely 'neighbors' reported a new foreigner in the building.
coledavis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The threat of visa sanctions appears to be aimed at higher level Russian officials (my usual sources are the BBC, Independent.co.uk and Russia Today, televised version in English). Given past history and current attitudes, Russian retaliation at a similar level is to be expected. Whether or not this reaches down to teachers of languages remains to be seen; my experience has been that procedures get tightened up, with increased bureaucratic demands (yes, it used to be much worse).

One fact, with yours truly as an eyewitness: I was interviewed on a coach last night, travelling from a city in southern Russia (not terribly far from Ukraine). My interlocutor wore a mask and carried a sub-machine gun. Although he checked all passports, he only appeared to take an interest in those which were not held by Russian nationals. The longest conversation was with me, as he wanted to ascertain exactly which English-speaking country I came from (England in my case).
maruss

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Visa clamp-down? Reply with quote

There is a lot of hype here in Cyprus in case the E.U. decides to impose visa restrictions for Russian nationals as retaliation for the Crimea situation?Cypriots are especially worried as they have a lot of Russian tourists expected here this season and also business traffic on a regular basis.
But when seen from a practical point of view I don't think this will happen for the simple reason that both sides have far too many interests which would be damaged.....Germany, for example relies on Russian gas imports and German firms have billions invested in various industries there, while many wealthier Russians, including officials, have money in banks abroad and travel frequently so they would not tolerate their leadership effectively cutting off their noses!
But as for more bureaucracy in Russia and a nastier and more awkward attitude by officials towards foreigners etc., this wouldn't surprise me as it is a favourite technique there which has been in use since the Soviet era(and before!)
teacher X

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coledavis wrote:
The threat of visa sanctions appears to be aimed at higher level Russian officials (my usual sources are the BBC, Independent.co.uk and Russia Today, televised version in English). Given past history and current attitudes, Russian retaliation at a similar level is to be expected. Whether or not this reaches down to teachers of languages remains to be seen; my experience has been that procedures get tightened up, with increased bureaucratic demands (yes, it used to be much worse).

Wow, sounds like a fun experience... I'd have probably been shot due to my incoherent Russian.

I remember reading somewhere that they have banned something like 20 Russian officials from getting visas.
Not a single *beep* was given. I expect the sanctions were the subject of some office banter in the Kremlin.

"Hey guys! Sasha got banned from the US! Bad luck Sasha, looks like you wont be able to pick up any cheap sneakers for a while."

This is an old one, but it's amusing how it's become relevant again;
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/international/were-a-gigantic-country-filled-with-oil-gas-and-wheat-russia-reminds-eu-200808291211
maruss

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: swings and roundabouts! Reply with quote

At the end of the day both sides are too interdependent to cut their ties and perhaps we should be grateful for this? Back in the Soviet era things would have been very different-and potentially more dangerous?
Whatever many ordinary Russian people really think, but probably don't dare to say so openly, Putin will do what he thinks is best for his own interests and it seems that nothing can stop him!
There are enough problems in the world already and this is one we could all do without!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: