Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it too early to begin job hunt?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Bafford

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: Is it too early to begin job hunt? Reply with quote

I'm aware that the new term kicks off in May, so, is it a little premature to head over to Thailand within the next couple of weeks?

I'm looking for a position outside Bangkok with a low cost of living, any advice would be appreciated.
MaiPenRai

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the schools that are "on the ball" will try to sort out their teachers for next year before Songkran (mid-late April). Although some will wait till after Songkran to find teachers. Im not sure what the start dates are for gov schools this year. They seem to always vary, but almost always sometime in May. Private schools may have different starting dates, usually earlier, so if you have a B.Ed, experience and/or a specialty (ability to teach other subjects from EFL) then it would beneficial to be here in March/April to compete for those jobs (although most of these jobs are in and around Bangkok).

If you are looking for outside BKK, many of the government schools use placement agencies. PM me for more info as we are limited in what we can discuss on the open forum.

By the way, the whole cost of living argument is kind of a myth. Bangkok can be just as cheap as anywhere else. Its just that there are MANY more ways to spend your money in Bangkok. If you live frugally in Bangkok , you will constantly feel like you are missing out on everything. If you live the same in Nakhon Sawan (for example), you will fit right in with most of the locals.
Lord Bafford

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the informative post! PM sent.
deadzenpoet

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaiPenRai wrote:

If you are looking for outside BKK, many of the government schools use placement agencies.

Does that include Chiang Mai or is is best to go and drop off resume in person?
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there,

It's never too early to go job hunting in Thailand. Some jobs to be had in the Chiang Mai area though. Your Baht 30000 monthly salary won't go far in Bkk. Government schools hire all over Thailand with most jobs located in the Northeast (Isaan) region. Good luck!
flow

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaiPenRai wrote:
Most of the schools that are "on the ball" will try to sort out their teachers for next year before Songkran (mid-late April). Although some will wait till after Songkran to find teachers. Im not sure what the start dates are for gov schools this year. They seem to always vary, but almost always sometime in May. Private schools may have different starting dates, usually earlier, so if you have a B.Ed, experience and/or a specialty (ability to teach other subjects from EFL) then it would beneficial to be here in March/April to compete for those jobs (although most of these jobs are in and around Bangkok).

If you are looking for outside BKK, many of the government schools use placement agencies. PM me for more info as we are limited in what we can discuss on the open forum.

By the way, the whole cost of living argument is kind of a myth. Bangkok can be just as cheap as anywhere else. Its just that there are MANY more ways to spend your money in Bangkok. If you live frugally in Bangkok , you will constantly feel like you are missing out on everything. If you live the same in Nakhon Sawan (for example), you will fit right in with most of the locals.

You're spot on with this post. Feb/March are the best months to look for work sometimes April as well. AS for the salary, you should be aiming for 40,000 Baht plus plus, more like 45,000 Baht after tax read AFTER tax!

I know a big bilingual school chain currently seeking to employ foreign teachers. The location of this school is in the greater Bangkok burbs. PM me if u want to know more....
Lord Bafford

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone --especially Mapipenrai for the PM -- for responding.

I arrived in Bangkok yesterday and I'm preparing myself for the job hunt.

What I find a little concerning is the fact that most positions on Ajarn seem to stipulate 24 teaching hours per week and require a Tefl cert. That's a little on the steep side for 30,000 baht salary the majority are offering.

I would be prepared to accept less than 30,000 if it meant a lower workload.

I am thinking of leaving Bangkok and finding a less expensive city, is this wise? My hostel is eating 10$ a day out of my budget and I would like to reduce that considerably.

Do the majority of interviews take place in Bangkok?
Highlander.Mark

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

watching and reading this with great interest as this will be my position in one year when im out of China !
bansheebeat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lord Bafford wrote:
I am thinking of leaving Bangkok and finding a less expensive city, is this wise? My hostel is eating 10$ a day out of my budget and I would like to reduce that considerably.

Do the majority of interviews take place in Bangkok?

That is up to you. Do you want to work in Bangkok? If not then yes, get out and look elsewhere.

Interviews will take place wherever the school is (unless you're going through an agency, that may require you to interview in BKK then move on to your school).
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Lord Bafford,

My advice is get out of Bangkok if you are LOW on savings...and head out to Petchaburi or Ayuthaya and look for work. Cost of living is cheap there and jobs are to be had. Bangkok is becoming more expensive by the day.and there are many, many and MANY EFL teachers looking around now for teaching work in Thai schools there so competition is fierce as the new school term starts in a few days on May 1. Good luck!
Lord Bafford

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to land a job in Isaan at a government school.

The pay is pretty basic -- 32,000, 20 hours a week -- but health insurance and the non B is included in the package.

I want to thank everyone for the sage advice. Had it not been for the warning, I would probably have used one of the agencies which don't pay for your visa.

I would have preferred a job with less hours, but with my savings dwindling I just couldn't afford to be too picky.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there,

That's good news for savings....your money will go MUCH further there..than in the BIG MANGO BANGKOK!!! Good luck! Smile
Lord Bafford

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
Hello there,

That's good news for savings....your money will go MUCH further there..than in the BIG MANGO BANGKOK!!! Good luck! Smile

Indeed, I strategically chose this job to maximise my savings.

I had a visa misadventure in China which made my wallet $2000 lighter, so I badly need to rebuild my war-chest. Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: