Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Schools that use Ipads/technology.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wayne1523

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Schools that use Ipads/technology. Reply with quote

Hi, I'm looking to come to Vietnam to look to teach in schools that integrate higher end facilities in teaching. I'd like to know if there are schools in Ho Chi Minh City that use Ipads/technology and advocate multimedia technology in their learning as much as the one shown here in Taiwan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF3sVBLJJlU#t=19

I believe this kind of platform allows more design, creativity, and interest stimulation on the teacher's part. I used to teach mainly from a book but would like to move to this particular kind of learning that use such resources. Any schools out there that have this in HCMC? Thank you.
I'm With Stupid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My school has Apple TV, but not in every classroom. From the video (with the horrible audio mixing btw) it seemed like they were just using the iPads in exactly the same way that they were previously using books. I didn't see a single example of students talking to each other, despite what the bloke was saying. There are good ways to use technology in class, but if students are just coming to class to do a load of exercises on tablets, they might as well save their money and do them on their home computer. I honestly haven't found any use for the iPads that can't be done equally well using student's phones so far.
mark_in_saigon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am thinking CitySmart gives them to new students. They were trying to get a high profile a year or two back. Have no idea how it worked out, but my guess is that it was mostly a marketing ploy, if these guys were all that great, we would know it. Most Asian owned/managed operations use short term thinking, including when giving out resources.

It is my opinion that students do not have any problem understanding how to use handhelds, so we do not really need to add to that exposure. Instead, the problem is the fixation on devices supplants their ability to focus on traditional materials. Who wants to read when you can see celebrities in bathing suits, or whatever they do? There may come a day (soon, I hope), when devices become very positive, but as long as they sap the ability to concentrate (especially with the urge to watch social media, instant messages or games), they seem like a negative influence in the classroom.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of a language school in Toronto that uses ipads extensively in class, but mark_in_saigon has expressed the overall findings on this very well - they tend to be more distractive than supportive of learning.
skarper

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All IT in EFL has always had the potential to be positive but usually is quite negative in practice. Just a gimmick.

That said - it could be a big plus but I wouldn't look to EFL especially in Vietnam for any breakthroughs in this field - or any field for that matter.
PC Parrot

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the university I work in, in the Gulf, the foundation course is delivered through iPads.

It's not all just show.

The Nearpod App for iPads has great class management features.

The teacher can refer to a class list - a quick look at this, will tell the teacher which student is on app and which is off .

If it is a quiz you are giving them, the teacher has an easy to read live-time table showing which question each student is on and which questions they have got right & wrong. This allows you to direct feedback exclusively towards those questions that were answered least successfully.

The teacher can also distribute at the click of a button an individual pie-chart to each student showing his/her results. On the same screen, students can scroll through their answers to see which were right and which were wrong.

The teacher has automatic class stats.

Other exercise types include 'Draw', 'Poll', 'Write', & 'Slide-Show' ... and you can insert video & audio files into your lesson. Many of these exercise types are interactive and while they might not suit academically minded adults, they are great for uni prep students in the Gulf.

iBooks allow interactive books with features which, when put together well, can make them more like a Discovery Channel documentary than a text book.

There are many more uses of the device if you are willing to apply yourself to learning about them .. most people find a few apps they like and take it from there ... Coupled with a Smartboard, the standard of presentation is far superior to lap-top delivered courses ...
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there was a classroom where every student had access to a tablet, and they were all networked together, and the teacher had master control over all of them, I could do amazing things with a set-up like that. Sadly, I doubt I'll ever find a school in Vietnam that would A) pay for all the work that goes into setting them up before class, and B) actually invest in a high tech system like this.
wayne1523

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies all.

Does RMIT in HCMC support alot of technological/multimedia usage?

And spiral, may I ask the name of the school in Toronto that uses the pads?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: