Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

edu-expertslondon, has anyone worked with them in Saudi????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
orbit720

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: edu-expertslondon, has anyone worked with them in Saudi???? Reply with quote

My wife and I have been offered a teaching position in Saudi Arabia through edu-expertslondon.co.uk where we would get paid a decent amount of money.

However, when I try to search for them to find people's opinion of the company I can't find anything. The only link I can find directs me to their website which really has no information.

Does anyone have experience working with this company or know someone who has worked with them???

Also, they want us to live in block apartments instead of a compound. Is this a good or bad thing?

Any information will be greatly appreciated.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're Education Experts (AKA EdEx)---plenty about them within this forum. As for accommodation, being housed in an apartment building with other expats is typical for those working via contracting companies.
babur

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: has anybody ever heard of them????????????????? Reply with quote

Quote:
Does anyone have experience working with this company or know someone who has worked with them???

WTF? Are you livin' under a rock or something? You can't do much worse
lcanupp1964

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About seven years ago, I was offered a contract with edu. It was my first foray into the Middle East and I was very native. I had trouble doing a background check on them as well. I would have found a lot of information on EdEx, but using other names (like edu) is a way for them to hide in plain sight while still being able to screw-over teachers. I was able to read between the lines of the very slick (like silver-tongued, crack-dealing pimps that also sell used cars on the weekend) salespeople I spoke with on the phone. I finally got it out of them that I could be reassigned to another school/city without notice. They could not tell me where I was going to teach, which city - nothing. The pay was around 3,000USD per month and I thought about it for about an hour.

Stay away.

Last edited by lcanupp1964 on Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:13 am; edited 1 time in total
desert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lcanupp1964 wrote:
I finally got it out of them that I could be reassigned to another school/city without notice. They could not tell me where I was going to teach, which city - nothing.

I noticed the same thing in their contract a couple years ago. The representative I talked to responded by saying that only the "bad teachers" would possibly be sent off to a rural area. Either way, the contract is worded such that they don't need any excuse to send you to another part of the country without notice if they want to.

Another thing that caught my attention was the working hours. The advertisements stated that it would be around 20 hours per week while the contract allowed them to make the teachers work something like 38 hours per week. When I asked them about this they said that they could see nothing wrong with the contract. That clause was only there because it is illegal in Saudi labor laws for them to expect their teachers to work more than 38 hours per week. If they had advertised 20 hours, I might have let them get a away with stating up to 25 or even 30 hours in the contract, but 38 hours is just ridiculous.

When there is that degree of vagueness in the contract, you have to be willing to assume the worst. You would be well advised to stay far away.
zaazia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I currently work for EDEX and have been with them for two years.

EDEX are an ok company. I haven't had any major problems with them. They pay well and are generally a lot better than the other contracting companies.

It is true that EDEX can place you anywhere they see fit, but it is highly likely that you would be placed in Riyadh. Most teachers are placed there.

EDEX has contracts with PNU(female teachers only), KSU(male/female teachers) and IPA(male teachers) in Riyadh. You would only be teaching about 20 hours a week at these institutions. As is the case in Saudi Arabia, you will find that some students are motivated to learn and others not motivated, so those that are not motivated can give you problems in the classroom. Mobiles are a big problem. Students are glued to their mobiles.

EDEX do not offer compound housing, so you would be living in an apartment block. You and your wife would probably get a two bedroomed apartment.

EDEX takes those living in company accommodation in Riyadh on shopping trips every day, except Friday. This is nice and convenient and saves on taxi fares.
fledex

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worked with them for two academic years. Worst job I ever had. Worst managers one could imagine. Not only bad teachers get shipped off to rural locations; but, some of the rural places are much nicer than Riyadh. KSU was a horrible place to work, and traffic to and from work was unbelievably jammed in Riyadh. All the particulars are in my older posts. Word is that they are worse than ever now, but there are some other contractors that have come along that are beating them to the bottom. Housing is always a problem with them. They move you around a lot.
Keyboard Kommando

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I escaped from them in 2013, the money is OK but the company is horrible. I was one of those people who worked on a 3 month visa. They have screwed just about everyone who worked for them, I got screwed for a couple thousand dollars going out the door. Avoid them like the plague!
babur

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 4:07 pm    Post subject: edex Reply with quote

Quote:

EDEX are an ok company. I haven't had any major problems with them. They pay well and are generally a lot better than the other contracting companies.

It is true that EDEX can place you anywhere they see fit, but it is highly likely that you would be placed in Riyadh. Most teachers are placed there.

EDEX has contracts with PNU(female teachers only), KSU(male/female teachers) and IPA(male teachers) in Riyadh. You would only be teaching about 20 hours a week at these institutions. As is the case in Saudi Arabia, you will find that some students are motivated to learn and others not motivated, so those that are not motivated can give you problems in the classroom. Mobiles are a big problem. Students are glued to their mobiles.

EDEX do not offer compound housing, so you would be living in an apartment block. You and your wife would probably get a two bedroomed apartment.

EDEX takes those living in company accommodation in Riyadh on shopping trips every day, except Friday. This is nice and convenient and saves on taxi fares.
says the poor teacher kneeling in front of the camera, dressed in an orange jumpsuit, flanked by two headscarfed teflers brandishing giant red boardmarkers dripping all over the place.
fledex

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: edex Reply with quote

babur wrote:
Quote:

says the poor teacher kneeling in front of the camera, dressed in an orange jumpsuit, flanked by two headscarfed teflers brandishing giant red boardmarkers dripping all over the place.

Not beyond my imagination barbur.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: