Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Article - Foreign teachers may be sacked from CR schools

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sigma

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject: Article - Foreign teachers may be sacked from CR schools Reply with quote

"Prague, Feb 24 (CTK) - The state is chasing foreigners who teach foreign languages out of Czech schools because they do not have the required qualification, daily Mlada fronta Dnes (MfD) writes yesterday.
The students of the Nad Aleji secondary school in Prague are excellent in languages, MfD writes.
Last years, one half of the pupils from the last grade gained the First Certificate in English (FCE) and this year, one-third of them even the higher degree, Certificate in Advanced English (CAE), he adds."

http://praguemonitor.com/2014/02/25/mfd-foreign-teachers-may-be-sacked-czech-schools

It is my understanding that this proposed new law will only apply to state schools and not private schools.

Last edited by Sigma on Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:28 am; edited 1 time in total
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. Czech English language teachers in the past had a rep for not being really proficient in the language, but I think that's changed considerably - but probably not totally.

Would be surprised if too many foreigners are teaching in state schools (full time) anyway, as the pay is generally even lower than that offered by private language schools! Probably less true at university level, but gymnasium and below? Unless they are private schools, in which case the law probably wouldn't apply.

Would be interesting to hear from teachers actually working in state schools on this, though -I don't really know first hand!!
Mrkev

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:

Would be surprised if too many foreigners are teaching in state schools (full time) anyway, as the pay is generally even lower than that offered by private language schools!...
...Would be interesting to hear from teachers actually working in state schools on this, though -I don't really know first hand!!

As someone who worked unqualified at a state school last year (and left to save up and get a decent TEFL qualification) I can confirm the pay is utterly dire. My school looked after me, I had free accomodation and school lunches, but I still earned about a quarter of what the average TEFL teacher received in a good month.

The language quality of the Czech staff was pretty good, only one English teacher was poor and that was down to her being a German teacher primarily and an English teacher as a backup.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the pay dire because you were unqualified, however?

In Poland, it's certainly the case that unqualified teachers cannot be paid particularly much - but an experienced, qualified teacher here will take home about the same as a run-of-the-mill TEFL teacher. Of course, the public school teacher has far greater job security and has their social insurance paid.
Mrkev

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being unqualified was definitely a part of it, but I also think the school didn't have a huge budget for hiring a native speaker in the first place, too.
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The well-qualified Czech teachers aren't paid well, either - it may be somewhat related to qualifications, but more to the venue; the public schools here simply don't pay much. Ditto pay for medical professionals; this is a holdover from the old system.
Sigma

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

update

"Prague, March 7 (CTK) - Foreign teachers of languages would not have to leave Czech schools due to the new requirement that only people with professional qualification are allowed to teach, Education Minister Marcel Chladek said after meeting school unions and deans of faculties for teachers Friday.
As most native speakers hired by schools for foreign language lessons do not have the required qualification, some prestigious secondary schools criticised the ministry's plan."

http://praguemonitor.com/2014/03/10/foreign-teachers-can-stay-czech-schools-education-minister-says[/b]
DB65

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes sense that they've backtracked now---the Czech public schools have a very hard time retaining teachers, foreign or domestic, with high levels of English proficiency because their salaries are so low compared to private language schools, and Czechs who speak really good English can easily land jobs in private industry making much better money for much easier work.

The result is that most EFL teachers in Czech public schools are either very idealistic and stay because they love the kids, or (unfortunately this tends to be the majority) are too unqualified to get better paying positions elsewhere.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: