Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Online Tesol with In-Class Practicum?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
esl_prof

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Quote:
Well, they still have to have a way to figure out that it was taken online. Assuming the company you got it from doesn't spill the beans, you gather up a few photos of your travels and show the potential employer where you took the course...*wink wink*

Surprisingly, those of us who read lots and lots of CVs actually are familiar with many of the cert courses and what they entail. If not, as Xie Lin notes, there is this thing called 'internet.' Wink, wink.

Why would you even need to waste time doing an internet search on this? Is it obvious only to me that the "On" in OnTESOL stands for "online"? Laughing

On second thought, perhaps the ACTDEC (Accreditation Council for TESOL Distance Courses) logo on the bottom of the diploma would just as easily give it away as well.
Lack

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So go through a company that offers both online and onsite, and then say you did the on-site course...

Going through one that only offers online would be a problem, obviously...
rtm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

esl_prof wrote:
Is it obvious only to me that the "On" in OnTESOL stands for "online"? Laughing

I had always assumed the "On" in "OnTESOL" stood for Ontario, since OnTESOL is based in Toronto.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
OnTESOL is an off-spring of Coventry House International and is the result of its members goal to contribute to education in general and, more specifically, to TESOL in an online format (http://www.ontesol.com/about-us/).
By the way, one of my colleagues in Saudi Arabia was promptly terminated when it was discovered her TEFL cert included online modules. Two others with certs that weren't entirely completed in person were required to get a CELTA over the summer as a condition of contract renewal.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rtm wrote:
esl_prof wrote:
Is it obvious only to me that the "On" in OnTESOL stands for "online"? Laughing

I had always assumed the "On" in "OnTESOL" stood for Ontario, since OnTESOL is based in Toronto.

Sarcasm. Though, I wouldn't be surprised if a prospective employer, unfamiliar with North American geography made that mistake.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Lack
So go through a company that offers both online and onsite, and then say you did the on-site course...

Going through one that only offers online would be a problem, obviously...

Yes, find any possible way to try to cheat that you can - god forbid anyone should actually take the time/trouble to do a proper cert that savvy employers who are aware of the value of a cert course would accept.

This still doesn't close the loophole, though, because a demo lesson/first trial week or two will highlight the lacks of a teacher with only an online cert very easily.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spiral, please declare the fact that you stand to make a wad of cash if a newbie here decides to do a respected course leading to a respected pre-service cert. Otherwise you are being both prolific and disingenuous...
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Spiral, please declare the fact that you stand to make a wad of cash if a newbie here decides to do a respected course leading to a respected pre-service cert.

I wish! Shocked Laughing
esl_prof

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Quote:
Spiral, please declare the fact that you stand to make a wad of cash if a newbie here decides to do a respected course leading to a respected pre-service cert.

I wish! Shocked Laughing

And please let the rest of us know how we can buy into this most lucrative pyramid scheme, shilling for fly-by-night certificate providers on Dave's. Wink
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just contact Cambridge or Oxford, and say that either Spiral or I sent you. You'll also need the secret handshake though...
esl_prof

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
Just contact Cambridge or Oxford, and say that either Spiral or I sent you. You'll also need the secret handshake though...

Cambridge has me on hold now . . . In the meantime, if I can just land that cushy gig in Antarctica that Water Rat referred me to, I'll have it made. Smile
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you need a CELTA to get that gig, prof? Wink
esl_prof

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Do you need a CELTA to get that gig, prof? Wink

I hope not. I just shelled out $19.95 in hard earned cash to order a diploma from the Internashionally Accredited Online TEPHL Skool. The saleslady . . . er, um . . . admissions counselor assured me that it would be more than sufficient to land the job.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was her salemanship sweet as sugar? Or was it snakeoily?
esl_prof

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
Was her salemanship sweet as sugar? Or was it snakeoily?

Nothing snake oily about her at all. She was very pleasant and helpful. There was one minor snag with my credit card, though. Apparently it's hard for the Online TEPHL Skool to process U.S. credit card payments from their main office in the Cayman Islands. Anyway, after providing her with my credit card number, DOB, social security number, mother's maiden name, and online banking password, she was able to process the payment like a charm. Sweet as sugar, as you say.

Just a minute . . .

It looks like I just got an e-mail from Consumer Fraud Protection. Evidently, twenty-seven credit cards and three new home loans have been taken out in my name during the past three hours. Man, am I glad that I bought that TEPHL certificate! I'm going to need a good job more than ever now . . .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: